Star Wars Fans "OFFICIALLY" discredit Bioware's Star Wars: The Old Republic

HiddenPalm

This will result in the creation of two things. Lucasfilm and their Star Wars movies, and the fans who support them, and the fans who hate the fact that all of this in non-canon will be split in two. I fear that Lucasfilm has lost a lot of support from its fans. By the way, any fan who didn't want this to be canon, what where you thinking?! Its years of hard work! Not just the game, but tons of things! Edited by Longhate

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fan, I don't understand the purpose of Wookieepedia anymore

Sure. It's purpose is to stroke the egos of elitist SW lore snobs who feel that their arbitrary declarations are the final word on SW lore.

Two things I'd like to throw into the ring.

1. Why are certain fans, all of a sudden upset, about this anyway? The entire EU was never Grade-A Canon (and therefore Star Wars Canon by the actual sense of the word) but has always been part of the continuity. They haven't killed it with fire, the EU is now Legends.

2. Now that I have that out of the way, I am a little concerned that at least things this far back in the timeline weren't just kept out of the Legends branding. I don't think it would have really messed with anything they are trying to do with the new movies going forward.

Actually Revan is Canon.

He was scheduled and came come to appearing in the Ghosts of Mortis arc on the Clone Wars show.

That makes him Canon.

Was scheduled to appear, but didn't. So therefore not canon.

Not that it really makes much difference.

Edited by Fantazm

Really, I'm rankled by a small segment of fans trying to make unilateral declarations on what is and isn't "canon". They have an overblown estimation of their own importance is all it is.

In the end, though, this decision doesn't matter. They aren't Lucas Arts, Disney, or anyone official. They're just fans stating their opinions.

People really need to understand that Wookieepedia isn't stating anything, they are merely making sense or otherwise stating what Disney/Lucasfilm have already said and making internal definitions relevant only to them.

They are not broadcasting this to the world, it is Wookieepedia's canon policy, and concerns only Wookieepedia.

Much ado about nothing.

From the point of view of George Lucas, as well as others at Lucasfilm, the EU has always been non-canon, anyway. The only canon were the movies and their scripts, novelizations and radio dramas, with newer editions replacing the old ones (i.e. Greedo shot first). Yeah, it sucks, but I don't make the rules.

The so-called levels of canon were an invention of Leland Chee for the Holocron, Lucas Licensing's internal database for maintaining consistency in the corpus of licensed, non-canon works. Lucas Licensing's consistency policy was never relevant for determining the canon of George Lucas' work. And the Flanneled guy was always quite clear about the fact that he never read the EU, couldn't care less about it and that there was never even a remote chance that it would be canon. So, technically, the only thing that changed is that Lucas Licensing no longer obfuscates the EU's non-canon status.

Honestly, you're acting just like Trekkies who were pissed off in the late 80s when TNG disregarded FASA and other licensed, non-canon works, which they mistakenly considered canon. That whole "fuss" is all but forgotten now, and so will this supposed "de-canonization" of the EU. Yawn.

Hi there!

We are happy to report that we have read several of the reports about posts regarding the reporting of other posts. With that in mind, we would like to report we have removed a significant number of posts, that were reporting other posts, and would like to take a moment to remind you that creating posts to simply inform others that you have reported their post is neither constructive, or on-topic, and is therefore considered inappropriate.

Thanks!

Best post ever. Three cheers for the Community team!

Anyway, all this nonsense about canon is just nonsense. Good stories are good stories, good games are good games. I don't care what kind of "canon" they are, I'll enjoy them just the same.

Edited by bionamaster

Declaring the vast majority (if not all of it) of the Expanded Universe as non-canon is an asinine slap in the face of all the work and effort that was put into constructing it, and bringing it forth to the fans to enrich and explore the never ending story that is Star Wars. It's also very ironic and awkward that they do this when they have added so many influences and direct characters, organizations and factions from the Expanded Universe into the TV series The Clone Wars, which is still considered canon (the Death Watch and Darth Bane to name a few).

George Lucas has most definitely contradicted himself and betrayed the values he has brought forth to the public by stealing many things from the Expanded Universe into the Clone Wars, and then declaring everything around it and the six films as non-canon. "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians," my eye.

Declaring the vast majority (if not all of it) of the Expanded Universe as non-canon is an asinine slap in the face of all the work and effort that was put into constructing it, and bringing it forth to the fans to enrich and explore the never ending story that is Star Wars. It's also very ironic and awkward that they do this when they have added so many influences and direct characters, organizations and factions from the Expanded Universe into the TV series The Clone Wars, which is still considered canon (the Death Watch and Darth Bane to name a few).

George Lucas has most definitely contradicted himself and betrayed the values he has brought forth to the public by stealing many things from the Expanded Universe into the Clone Wars, and then declaring everything around it and the six films as non-canon. "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians," my eye.

Then consider yourself slapped in the face. The EU IS NO LONGER CANON.

So long as we carry it in our hearts the EU shall live forever. The EU is dead, long live the EU.

/shed a single tear

/sniffle

/play a tiny violin

I start to wonder if you get aroused over stating that over and over again in this thread, whenever a chance arises and in CAPS.

No need to get to it like that.

So long as we carry it in our hearts the EU shall live forever. The EU is dead, long live the EU.

/shed a single tear

/sniffle

/play a tiny violin

Emancipate thyselves, brothers and sisters. :cool:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Revan and Bane are canon => The Old Republic is canon. We saw Darth Bane in Season 6 of The Clone Wars.

From this video you will see why George Lucas deleted this scene. Its not , because he reject to admit Revan ever existed. Lucas actually thought this ep is great. He removed them cuz he thought its ridiculous these two legendary sith lords to appear in that form , like they were in this episode.

I really dont care which part is canon or not ;) I dont like the movies. My Star Wars universe is the Old Republic era.

Edited by iankalo

Does anyone, like me, simply not care that this has happened? To add to that, since we are enjoying playing SWTOR, is anyone actually positive about the idea that the creators of this game don't have to adhere to some arcane and advanced stricture and instead can make compelling stories as they see fit?

Who knows what sort of crazy awesome things we can do in this game if it doesn't affect the canon. Bring Skywalker back from the future? Let's do it. Alternate universes are fun in comics, they'll be fun here too. Bring on the monsters and I'll keep blasting them with my wrist rockets.

Who knows what sort of crazy awesome things we can do in this game if it doesn't affect the canon. Bring Skywalker back from the future? Let's do it. Alternate universes are fun in comics, they'll be fun here too. Bring on the monsters and I'll keep blasting them with my wrist rockets.

"Farscape" kinda stuff would be nice :) How about , the mighty Darth Baras playing with some new sith technologies and then accidentally creates a wormhole to Earth. Then the Empire invade our planet. Putin , Obama and North Korea creating an alliance and they fighting against the sith. When the emperor is defeated , Putin kills Oba and NK leader and using the wormhole to come in SW galaxy and make Korriban and Dromund Kaas russian territory. The russians will drain the force and turn it into Vodka - the new most powerful thing , that will rule the world. There`s no Force , there`s just Vodka.

Edited by iankalo

Technically, it never was. Neither GL nor TCW writers were ever constrained to work within the bounds of EU lore.

I know. I don't understand this thought that the EU was EVER movie canon. Even GL (the moron that he is) said that the movies (and licensed TV shows) are the only true canon. People being heartbroken that their favorite book isn't canon shouldn't be surprised.

It never was canon anyway.

There`s no Force , there`s just Vodka.
Ha. Force Vodka should be a thing...the bottles would look pretty cool at the least. And hey, if you make someone drink enough of it you are sure to be able to successfully use the Jedi Mind Trick lol.

The issue isn't that stuff is now "non-canon" it never was, this isn't new. However before Disney, Lucas only was only out to write his own story as he saw it, beyond that he didn't interfere with the fans. He let the fans build the rest of the universe around the original story that he had set out to create.

Disney however has apparently decided that merely overwriting what is needed for the movie isn't enough, and has decided that the only stories are going be their stories. Disney seems to want to make sure that their EU will be the only EU, or in other words Disney is being Disney and is being excessively overprotective of their image.

Edited by Zoom_VI

The issue isn't that stuff is now "non-canon" it never was, this isn't new. However before Disney, Lucas only was only out to write his own story as he saw it, beyond that he didn't interfere with the fans. He let the fans build the rest of the universe around the original story that he had set out to create.

Disney however has apparently decided that merely overwriting what is needed for the movie isn't enough, and has decided that the only stories are going be their stories. Disney seems to want to make sure that their EU will be the only EU, or in other words Disney is being Disney and is being excessively overprotective of their image.

Yeah, look at how badly that turned out for Mickey Mouse!

Wait... are they threatening to sue over fan fiction?

Yeah, look at how badly that turned out for Mickey Mouse!

Wait... are they threatening to sue over fan fiction?

Does Mickey Mouse have a EU? Does any Disney copyright have a EU?

Lucas let fans and other writers create there own stories, Disney only wants fans reading Disney stories.

If it isn't from a Disney controlled studio Disney won't condone it.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Well, now that we know SWTOR isn't cannon. There goes by sub. I won't be renewing...or playing after today. Farewell all.

Nobody has ever said SWTOR isn't part of Star Wars. Use some common sense please. The whole reason they made the change to the EU stuff not being canon is all for the direction of the new movies. The Old Republic era is WAY too far back to even have a remote outcome on anything even in Episode 1. Don't be so dramatic. Nothing changes here. That's the whole reason BioWare made these stories in this era. It is WAY too far back to effect the outcome on anything in the movies, TCW or, if they made them (which they are going to), the new movies.