New Class Story?

Absavage

maybe. they know ppl want it. but its not on the table right now. just like how guild ships and housing were a surprise. once we get story again itll probly be a surprise. as for a new class version of story then no. it would be too much work to overwrite everything currently to add a new class with its own story. UNLESS it takes place at lvl50 or later. like DKs in WoW

We were told that they've abandoned class specific stories in favour of faction stories that are the same for every class. It sucks, but the game is developed on a penny-pinching model.

I disagree with this cynical assessment.

IMO it is more about the time to release. Adding eight unique chapters - one for each class - takes a LOT more time than adding two - one for each faction.

I pose this question: would you be willing to wait two or more years with zero new content for a single chapter of new solo class story? That is the kind of time dedication that would be required.

EA/BW has set a goal of releasing new content (definition is debatable) every 6-12 weeks. Like DarthAeonis suggests, maybe somewhere in the bowels of BW they are "secretly" developing and producing new individual stories, but it will take time and will be a surprise if/when it ever happens. But, one should not get one's hopes up. Better to be pleasantly surprised if it happens, than be disappointed when it does not.

Edited by psandak

psandak, thank you. I don't think people realize just what a huge undertaking story arcs really are. Voice actors don't come cheap, as far as I understand, and the difference between paying them to voice one planet arc's worth of content vs that AND a separate class story arc is literally saving half (or more) the cost on voice acting.

Look how long it takes to spit out something like Makeb. That's two stories, imperial and republic. Now imagine doing an ADDITIONAL 8 for unique class stories as well. Class stories and the main planet story arcs (forget about sidequests for a minute) seem to be more or less similar in duration and effort.

Basically you're talking about tacking on roughly EIGHT TIMES the amount of writing, development, voice acting, and cost of individual class stories on top of the cost of implementing main planet/faction story arcs. That's absurdly expensive and honestly it's perfectly reasonable if Bioware/EA isn't comfortable budgeting that much time and money in an expansion that is a fraction the size of the original release.

It might happen in the future, it may be certain classes one expansion and the rest another, or if there's a big upswing in subs and/or cartel purchases. Basically, any sound business model for SWTOR will be that profits and projected profits are what justify what is included in the budget and what gets axed and what is never so much as even spoken of again. To spend the kind of money and development time that would absolutely be required to release additional class-specific content for a single expansion simply because the players want it with little to no regard for whether or not said expansion will actually RECOUP those costs AND profit would be bad business and, more importantly, the kind of thinking that would have bankrupted EA and Bioware a long time ago.

And let's not even get started on profits. While the movers and shakers at EA and Bioware undoubtedly make far more than they probably should, there are shareholders as well to answer to, after all, they've invested in your company, better not disappoint them. And there's also profits, the money left over after business expenses are recouped on a project. Much of those profits are ondoubtedly simply dumped right back into the company in various ways, from purchasing new properties or copyrights to preliminary funding of new projects (i.e. games).

While this is very much a subscription/cartel/fan supported game, EA and Bioware are still businesses--and quite successful, I might add. They don't become successful and stay that way without knowing where and when to pinch pennies. Getting mad about that won't change it, but a better understanding of business and economics might make it a little easier to swallow. So many people blame greed and penny pinching, but this is grossly over-simplifying what's really going on with, for example, class stories or new companions.

OP, I also love the class stories and am currently working my way through all 8, including rerolling some favorites (like my 3rd Sith Warrior and Consular lol). I would love to see more class story, and was rather disappointed to not see them continued on Makeb. Maybe in the future the game will be in a financial position to start rolling out a few class story updates here and there, but I doubt it. It's a huge undertaking. Maybe we'll see more in the future, or maybe we'll see more companion stories or NEW companions. :D

I disagree with this cynical assessment. IMO it is more about the time to release. Adding eight unique chapters - one for each class - takes a LOT more time than adding two - one for each faction. I pose this question: would you be willing to wait two or more years with zero new content for a single chapter of new solo class story? That is the kind of time dedication that would be required. EA/BW has set a goal of releasing new content (definition is debatable) every 6-12 weeks. Like DarthAeonis suggests, maybe somewhere in the bowels of BW they are "secretly" developing and producing new individual stories, but it will take time and will be a surprise if/when it ever happens. But, one should not get one's hopes up. Better to be pleasantly surprised if it happens, than be disappointed when it does not.

When the game was launched, EA laid off most of the writers. Read the game's credits. Most of the people who wrote the original class quests are no longer with BioWare Austin. Why did this happen? To maximize profits. We only get a few bits of meaningful content a year because the development team is only a skeleton of what it used to be. Maybe they're secretly a completely different company and those developers weren't laid off at all. Maybe they're in a secret, underground bunker where they're going to deliver on all of their broken promises. I'd like to find this secret bunker to ask when we'll get cross server queues for PVP, to be quite honest. When you find it, please let me know! :p