Mac version Update

Slowhands

I'm so frustrated waiting for an update on this. It has been approximately two years since bioware came out and said they were interested in bringing the game to the mac platform, granted this was when the Drs were still in charge, but still...

How about a categorical no once and for all, if there is no intention of ever bringing this to pass. At least then I can have some closure!

Here's an update: Get a real gaming rig. Macs are great for business and graphic design, but crap for gaming. I'm sure they were interested in porting it, but the market is so small it probably isn't financially worth their while to invest the time and money into it.

I do have a gaming pc, doesn't mean I dont still want to be able to play it on my iMac, or even upgrade to a Mac Pro or something down the road.

As for when they indicated that they were interested in porting it, read this:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2012/01/04/bioware-bringing-star-wars-the-old-republic-to-mac-next/

It was a good two years ago now, so its highly unlikely that those plans are still in place.

Here's an update: Get a real gaming rig. Macs are great for business and graphic design, but crap for gaming. I'm sure they were interested in porting it, but the market is so small it probably isn't financially worth their while to invest the time and money into it.

The 1980's called. They want their old worn out meme back.

I do have a gaming pc, doesn't mean I dont still want to be able to play it on my iMac, or even upgrade to a Mac Pro or something down the road.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2012/01/04/bioware-bringing-star-wars-the-old-republic-to-mac-next/

It was a good two years ago now, so its highly unlikely that those plans are still in place.

It doesn't say they are doing it. “That’s definitely one of the things we’re looking at next" doesn't say they are actually doing it.

The 1980's called. They want their old worn out meme back.

What, you mean the meme that Macs are better for media manipulation? You're right, that meme is worn out as PCs are just as good at media manipulation these days, but half the price.

Macs DO generally look cool, though--especially the laptops. So I'm sure you're getting the girls in truckloads.

I love my Mac. I have had it for a couple of months now and it is by far the best laptop I have ever owned. I like the simplicity of the Mac and being able to easily create things for school and work etc. I don't want to get into a fighting match about PC vs. Mac, I am just giving you my honest opinion to let you know where I am coming from.

That said, I also love SWTOR, so when I bought the Mac I had a major problem; how can I play this game I love on my new computer?

I used bootcamp and dual booted it with Windows 7. It cost about $100 for the CD drive to put the Windows 7 disk in (which was another $100). So now I can play SWTOR on my Mac. I can also play some other Windows only games through this dual boot. SWTOR looks great on my Mac (much better than it looked on my old PC laptop).

If you don't want the dual boot (it is quite easy, but can be costly as mentioned above) there are several programs that allow you to run PC programs through OS. I am not sure how well these work; I used a demo version of one and I couldn't figure it out, but I really didn't want to play too much with it for fear of screwing up my computer.

At this point, I don't think that Bioware is too interested in creating a Mac version. I think the percentage of Mac gamers is low when compared to PC. The game also has been out for so long that it has an established community, so adding a Mac client may go unnoticed by potential new customers. A game like Elder Scrolls Online probably benefited from having a Mac client, as it was a new release, but I don't see them investing in a Mac client for SWTOR.

I think rather than a Mac client Bioware should concentrate on using their resources on delivering new content and continuing to put out a quality product.

The WANTED to make a mac version YEARS ago but they aren't doing it. They also WANTED to do XYZ with the game but they can only do so much.

I feel most of the player base do not want a mac version as it needlessly sucks up a lot of resources making it for another platform.

How about a categorical no once and for all, if there is no intention of ever bringing this to pass.

What.. you can't take a hint from the obvious? :)

At least then I can have some closure!

Dude.. the only closure in MMOs is when the company folds shop and turns off the servers.

Learn to self-manage your feelings of grief, IMO. :)

But here.. let me help you out a little.. in the absence of a Gold response.. there is plenty of sage information on this from other players..... Take this one to heart, IMO.... http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6576839&postcount=852

How about a categorical no once and for all, if there is no intention of ever bringing this to pass. At least then I can have some closure!

There is almost never such a thing as a categorical no in the MMO business. Plans can and do change. The best you might hope for is that BioWare will say its not currently on the table, which seems fairly obvious.

You best bet is dual booting or looking at some other solution that allows Windows programs to run on a Mac. I found this article here that might be helpful.

• 5 months later...
I gotta admit, I do have a Mac BookPro of my own. My PC is having problems so I gave it to my computer guy to fix it. I am really hoping Bioware does this, because I REALLY WANT THIS ON MAC. Its literally the best game I have ever played and I was really hoping Bioware would make it available on Mac platform. I keep reading about it, and yes 2 years ago, they said they would make it available on Mac. Please Bioware or SWTOR, if you are reading this...MAKE IT A MAC PLATFORMED GAME TOO!!:(

Let the thread topic just die please. The article you referenced was published just weeks after the game launched and it was quoting the founders of Bioware (before their departure later in the summer of 2012). Promises and allusions to promises made prior to the great summer of 2012 restructuring at Bioware are infamous for alleging future things that never came to pass. This alone should be sufficient for any sensible person to understand that plans for a Mac version are absent of any substance unless/until they come right out and say they plan on doing a Mac client. ;)

Edited by Andryah

There is not one reason to buy an Apple device of any kind.

This is my biased opinion as a PC technician.

Linux or Windows

Apple is just a proprietary monetized perversion of unix. Everything they "invented" is stolen.

The company is a marketing scam producing substandard devices and charging twice the price for half the hardware with an OS that does less.

But its white. 2500$.

And dont think they dont break...I have begrudgingly replaced parts in many macbooks....after removing the 200 tiny little magnetized screws ugh.