How does companion affection affect crew skills?

einsoff

So I am getting to the point where I have three companions and want to start beefing up my crafting prowess. Should I be having one focus maybe on companion gift scavenging to bump up companion affection or is it ok to ignore it and focus on the crafting it hand? What exactly does affection provide?

As far as I can tell, companion affection purely affects how quickly they perform tasks.

As an example, on my warrior I have 4250(ish) affection with Vette and she has an effeciency in underworld trading. A 6 minute mission usually takes her 5 Minutes and 15 seconds. At higher levels you're knocking off up to 8 mins maybe.

On my inquisitor, Khem Val's affection rating is 2500 roughly and he completes a 3 minute mission in about 2 minutes and 50 seconds. At higher levels, with 30 minute missions, it seems to knock off about 3 minutes from the mission time.

• 7 months later...
I got to the last tier of crafting missions and haven't been getting any "rich" yields. Is this do my companion affection?

No, some crew skills do not have Rich messions on the last tier, Scavaging or Slicing for example.

alrighty so it does not effect quality of the item merely the time it takes to retrieve/craft it

There is nothing in the game that affects item quality. Item quality is a set value for each particular item schematic and no matter what your skill level or your companion affection level, the items you produce will be the same quality as that of anyone else crafting from the same schematic. Crafting in this game has nothing to do with quality.

What max affection does affect besides efficiency/speed, though, is critical chance. When you get to 10k affection, that companion gets a +5% bonus to crit chance. That means if you are crafting something equipable, you have an additional 5% chance to get an augment slot (which will still need to be upgraded for gear you keep as you level). If you are crafting a consumable or item mod, you gain a 5% better chance of getting two items instead of one on your craft.

Not that it's a GOOD chance, even then. The best chance you will ever have -- not "orange" difficulty, companion at 10k affection, companion also with a +5 crit modifier -- is that you will fail 3 times out of 4, on average. You can't even be certain of that rate, since it's all unmitigated RNG crap. So much for mastering your craft, huh?

IIRC, every 2000 points of affection gives +1% crit and +3% efficiency.

Crit for mission/gathering skills affects the quantity of mats you get, whether you get rares and, for some, whether you get additional goodies like schematics. (for some, getting schematics is apparently unrelated to critting)

Crit for crafting results in either an extra free item, (most things that aren't directly equipped) or an augment slot (things that are directly equipped).

I don't believe there are any rich grade 6 mat missions for any crewskill. (edit: There are rich grade 6 missions that give lower grade stuff like grade 5 companion gifts or first ait kits, etc.)

Edited by GnatB

No crew skill has rich missions at tier 6. If they say they are, it's a bug.

Affection impacts crit and time to complete missions. 10k is +5% crit. This is on top of any other bonus the pet might have for crit so for example you can get T7 to +7% crit on Slicing.

Dulfy is an excellent MMO resource and has published a SWTOR pet bribe guide at http://dulfy.net/2012/04/22/companion-gifts-and-crafting-bonuses-for-1-2/

So I am getting to the point where I have three companions and want to start beefing up my crafting prowess. Should I be having one focus maybe on companion gift scavenging to bump up companion affection or is it ok to ignore it and focus on the crafting it hand? What exactly does affection provide?

Buy rank 1 & rank 2 gifts from the gift vendor on the fleet and get their affaction to 8k with those.

Affection does two things : it makes you crit the mission more and it makes you do the missions faster.

I got to the last tier of crafting missions and haven't been getting any "rich" yields. Is this do my companion affection?

The only Tier 6 missions that have Rich yields are Companion Gifts missions, and they're only Rich because they return Grade 5 Gifts (since there are no Grade 6 Gifts).