Healing Viability?

shinuyog

Hello, so right now I'm deciding between my 21 Scoundrel and my 18 Commando as a healer. I keep hearing stuff like Scoundrels are the absolute best healers, and granted, it's fun, but then I hear the Commando just isn't as viable in higher end pve, which I'm more into. Just not sure if it's "worth" leveling up if they don't perform well in bigger fights.

Wow...

Scoundrels put out stupid amounts of healing with their HoTs, but because of the nature of HoTs, much of it is over-healing. Commandos have INCREDIBLE utility with being able to Trauma Probe the whole raid, buff all healing received by groupmates by 3%, and, in burst-heals situations, drop a 5% damage reduction shield on everyone that lasts for 28 seconds if done properly. They have excellent off-DPS and can burst-heal in a way that the other two healer classes can't compete with.

They're inferior to the scoundrel only in terms of their unforgiving resource management (basically, screw up once and you're fine because you have an ammo regen cooldown, screw up twice and you're in deep doo-doo), and because their Trauma Probe and Kolto Residue don't stack with other healmandos in the group. Ideal heals composition for a 16m group is probably 1 sage, 1 commando, 2 scoundrels.

TL;DR: All three healers are viable, commandos are NOT worse than scoundrels. Haters gonna hate.

I agree to everything Venomlash writes but can add my personal thoughts aswell.

The Mando works just fine in PvE, but as Venomlash says, you really have to work your resource management carefully. This is however what makes it fun if you ask me.

I have a scoundral aswell and (its a matter of personal taste ofc) i get bored with its extremely repeatative gameplay. If you want to maximise the scoundrel output you need to re-apply those hots ALOT.. and then some..

I also enjoy the challenge a combat medic meets in PVP, but keep in mind that Scoundrels will outperform a commando in pvp (arenas in particular) more often than not.

There are some really good mando healers out there and combat medic is viable for pvp aswell but the scoundrel is a beast even on an average player.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd add a little more. I've come to the point where I dont really play anything other than my commando anymore. I bought a re-spec kit for him as soon as he hit 55. If I want to group up for OPS for HMs I trait up the healing tree. If I'm doing a daily run or just feel like dealing some whoop-*** I trait Gunnery and wipe Oricon clean.

It really is my favourite class. All specs/gear are interchangeable. My Surge, Alacrity, Crit Rating and Tech power all have direct effects on my toon, wether traited DPS or Heals.

The companions are the TOPS. I can solo Oricon, heal spec, with M1 and have fun doing it (M1 is in all purple 156s or better) or I can trait Gunnery, whip out Elara and get great heals.

IMHO, its the most versatile class in the game.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll keep this short. My 55 Commando healer is my favourite toon. TOTAL WIN. Go Commando Healer and enjoy the accolades from your guild-mates.

This is funny since, my guild just hounds on me for not being an scoundrel healer. They seem to think the ability to heal 3k HPS with only 20% of that being effective is better than 3K HPS with 80% effective.

Edited by Osxoba

the ideal 8m raid team healer setup is 1 Commando/Merc healer and 1 Sage/Sorcerer healer, so yes they are more than viable.

If you want a more detailed explination, then here comes the descriptions of each heal we have

Hammer Shots: our Base Heal, heals 3 times and gains 3 charges of CSC

Medical Probe: our Big Heal, can crit in the 10k-11k range at 55 with good gear also gains 6 charges of CSC

Advanced Medical Probe: our middle heal, crits for 7k - 8k and puts an Armor Buff + HoT on the target, makes your next Medical Probe cost less also, and can be used with no CD when Supercharge is active

Triage: Our Cleanse, can heal for ~1k non crit and cleanses 2 Tech, Mental, and Physical debuffs. Cannot cleanse Force only debuffs like Crushing Darkness or Mind Crush.

Kolto Bomb: The most brokenly OP AOE heal in the damn game, this thing is a lifesaver, toss it at a tank they gain about 5k HP + a HoT that heals for 1k a 5% increase on healing recieved AND if your in Supercharge you also put a shield around them for 20 seconds or so. this thing is your main skill and should be used on CD at all times.

Trauma Probe: the best heal in the damn game, put this on someone, they have 9 charges of 2k - 3k non crit healing each time they get hit (with a 1.5 second ICD) this thing is put on a raid team at the beginning and forget about it on everyone barring tanks.

Bacta Infusion: our OH **** heal, this thing heals for 8k - 9k non crit and has no cast time with an 18s CD, use it when your tank is dangerously low on HP.