Parsec Timers!

The latest release of Parsec includes new Timers that will issue visual and audio notifications based on events in your combat log. The new timers functionality can be powerful but also complicated. I thought it would be a good idea to discuss the uses of timers and answer questions people have about the system.

Let me know your thoughts :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My number one request is to ensure that the use (and viewing) of timers is completely customizable for each user's preference. If they want them turned off, then they should completely disappear from that user's interface as though they don't exist at all.

Having customizable text size, colour, and notification sounds would be ideal along with custom placement of different timers on the player's screen.

As an off-topic side note, I find it weird that there is no documentation of patch notes on the Parsec website. Sometimes if I'm installing an update to Parsec as an operation is starting, I don't have a chance to read the pop-up window containing the patch notes. Once that window is closed there's no access to patch notes until the next patch is released.

Also, the Parsec website does not contain a page on "Enable Timers," but when I look at the "Change History (all pages)" there's a page describing what to do.

My number one request is to ensure that the use (and viewing) of timers is completely customizable for each user's preference. If they want them turned off, then they should completely disappear from that user's interface as though they don't exist at all.

Having customizable text size, colour, and notification sounds would be ideal along with custom placement of different timers on the player's screen.

As an off-topic side note, I find it weird that there is no documentation of patch notes on the Parsec website. Sometimes if I'm installing an update to Parsec as an operation is starting, I don't have a chance to read the pop-up window containing the patch notes. Once that window is closed there's no access to patch notes until the next patch is released.

Also, the Parsec website does not contain a page on "Enable Timers," but when I look at the "Change History (all pages)" there's a page describing what to do.

Patch notes can be found in several ways:

1) Inside Parsec you can click the "?" icon to open the Help/About window where you will find a "Notes" link

2) At http://parsec.codeplex.com you can find the patch notes on the Downloads page - each previous download has patch notes if you want to review previous patch notes.

Timers are a new feature in the latest release of Parsec and are not "enabled" per se. If a user does not wish to use them, they simply choose not to enable any timers from the menu. Users can customize the timer pop out in the same way you can customize any other pop out in Parsec which includes size, background opacity and position. Users can choose from 21 sounds to use as audio notification. More customization options are possible in future releases.

Edited by Docmal

Looks pretty good. I didn't have any problems setting custom timers, but I'd like to see some volume control :p

Right now the volume is set fixed at 100% of system volume. Is there a reason to lower it?

Personally, I wouldn't mind the alarms being more subtle. I also don't have ingame volume setting at 100% (at 20% actually) for other reasons, so timer sounds are very loud in comparsion. I don't think you should lower the volume setting, but rather give the option for users to set their own, if possible.

That's my opinion anyway ;)

Awesome addition, thank you! My one request, potentially I'm just not seeing it, is there a way to use your own sound files as the notification noises? I appreciate the built in diversity of sounds but I have a few that would work a bit better for me. Either way, love the program, love the addition.

Awesome addition, thank you! My one request, potentially I'm just not seeing it, is there a way to use your own sound files as the notification noises? I appreciate the built in diversity of sounds but I have a few that would work a bit better for me. Either way, love the program, love the addition.

Its possible in a future update :)

Yeah this update surprised me. I kept hearing Vader in my mic after playing around with the new timers and thought my friends were playing it. When I told them to stop it they thought I was hearing voices. Fast forward to right now. I was given five minutes to post this to say thank you for the update. It is very useful. And now the orderly has come to put me back in my straight jacket. Bye bye!

Personally, I wouldn't mind the alarms being more subtle. I also don't have ingame volume setting at 100% (at 20% actually) for other reasons, so timer sounds are very loud in comparsion. I don't think you should lower the volume setting, but rather give the option for users to set their own, if possible.

That's my opinion anyway ;)

I am by default against everything Pelara says, does or believes in. This time, however, I have to agree. Suggestion for solution: Is there a way for a code wizard to make Parsec pick the current operating system volume for the alerts instead of forcing it to 100% OS volume? If I have my OS volume at 40%, it's there for a reason and I certainly do not want alerts to blast from speakers with twice the force as other sounds. People tend to have different systems and if they want to control multitude of programs via OS at the same, they tend to boost/lower through the programs and to be able to do that, often times the system volume is sitting significantly lower than 100%. For once, listen to Pelara.

Otherwise, awesome update to Parsec, our guys already figured one nice use for it on Brontes-the-hentai-master.

I am by default against everything Pelara says, does or believes in. This time, however, I have to agree. Suggestion for solution: Is there a way for a code wizard to make Parsec pick the current operating system volume for the alerts instead of forcing it to 100% OS volume? If I have my OS volume at 40%, it's there for a reason and I certainly do not want alerts to blast from speakers with twice the force as other sounds. People tend to have different systems and if they want to control multitude of programs via OS at the same, they tend to boost/lower through the programs and to be able to do that, often times the system volume is sitting significantly lower than 100%. For once, listen to Pelara.

Otherwise, awesome update to Parsec, our guys already figured one nice use for it on Brontes-the-hentai-master.

Sound in windows works like this:

You have a master volume fader that determines the volume of everything this is referred to as system volume. Then you have application volume which refers to the volume of that application with respect to the others - this is referred to as the mix volume.

Parsec is currently set to force the mix volume to 100% when it plays a sound. This does not mean that it will use a level of 100% for system volume and blast out your ears or speakers. This just means that Parsec will try to be the loudest it can be with respect to other apps given your current volume. Parsec still obeys your system volume level.

In a future update (soon tm) I will be removing this restriction which will allow users to set their own mix volumes in their windows mix panel. I have confirmed that windows will remember your last mix setting and apply it the next time you use Parsec. the only remaining hurdle is to figure out how to force Parsec onto the mix panel even before it has played a sound, because currently it doesn't appear until it produces a sound.

The only remaining hurdle is to figure out how to force Parsec onto the mix panel even before it has played a sound, because currently it doesn't appear until it produces a sound.

Startup sound? :)

Can't wait to try out the update tonight!

Startup sound? :)

Can't wait to try out the update tonight!

Funny - couldn't find any documentation to help me so I simply made a very short no audio sound file that plays as Parsec starts up. Problem Solved.

so if i just copy and paste the ability from torparse, that should suffice right. maybe a list of abilities in a read me or something would be helpful.

You can copy the ability name or id directly out of the combat log tab in parsec.

So I have one point of feedback, this might be outdated as it was from Tuesday and I forgot to post. Also have not seen the latest version of it, and of course it might just be user error.

I set up a test to work with Lethal Takedown, which procs on basically every Cull. Only thing is with how I set it up (with the timers set to 0) it was playing the sound so much later. I was doing dailies in Section X and I would cull, visually see the proc and use it. Then kill the mob and move onto the next pack when the sound played.

Is this on parsec's end? My end for setting the timer wrong? My end for having to much crap running while testing?

So I have one point of feedback, this might be outdated as it was from Tuesday and I forgot to post. Also have not seen the latest version of it, and of course it might just be user error.

I set up a test to work with Lethal Takedown, which procs on basically every Cull. Only thing is with how I set it up (with the timers set to 0) it was playing the sound so much later. I was doing dailies in Section X and I would cull, visually see the proc and use it. Then kill the mob and move onto the next pack when the sound played.

Is this on parsec's end? My end for setting the timer wrong? My end for having to much crap running while testing?

Your computer clock and swtor server clock may be out of sync. I suggest you sync your clock with a time server.

Right click the clock on your task bar and select adjust date/time. Click the internet time tab and click change settings. Verify the box is checked to enable syncing and then click update now.

This should get you as close as possible. Unfortunately it looks like the times reported in the log file are based on swtors servers so this will continue to be an issue.

Edit: I found a cool blog post that helps set up a scheduled task to update your computer time every day instead of the default (once per week)

http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/

Edited by Docmal