PvP Dps

Relinquisher

Hello Forum,

I'm about to hit 55 and I was wondering how viable Commando Dps is when it comes to PvP. I like healing but the leg humping gets old! I tried searching on this forum but it looks like all the info that is on here is like a year old and I'm also told noxxic is bad place to get information hence why I'm here.

Looking to see what spec to play, stats I should be prioritizing over, and whatever useful any other words of wisdom you got for the soon to be 55 commando.

Thanks a bunch!

I used to play a bit of Pyro DPS for PvP, and may return, because Healing merc in PvP simply sucks... Assault DPS can pull 4k over long chunks of time in PvE, and for PvP it's more mobile than Gunnery, though Gunnery has other things that can help such as the proc shield, and a longer Hold The Line

You should take Suit FOE. It helps when facing Sorc/Sages

Agreed, I'd personally drop Reflexive Battery for Suit FOE.

Side note, my friend likes to run an Assault/Gunnery hybrid for PvP. The idea is to pick up Grav Round so the enemy can't cleanse it off themselves so you can keep HiB firing. I don't PvP a lot on my Commando so I wanted to know others' thoughts on this? I feel like you'd sacrifice too much utility or burst in the process. I can't remember what the spec looks like so just think of this on a conceptual level. :p

Agreed, I'd personally drop Reflexive Battery for Suit FOE.

Side note, my friend likes to run an Assault/Gunnery hybrid for PvP. The idea is to pick up Grav Round so the enemy can't cleanse it off themselves so you can keep HiB firing. I don't PvP a lot on my Commando so I wanted to know others' thoughts on this? I feel like you'd sacrifice too much utility or burst in the process. I can't remember what the spec looks like so just think of this on a conceptual level. :p

I think he's in denial about how bad Assault is when countered by cleanses.

While grav provides a marker for HiB ammo regen is nil when hitting it. Unlike hitting the DoT debuff assault needs.

People who play Assault at a high dps level know that you're almost constantly at the low end of high regen and rely on the HiB landing on a burning target to feed back ammo to keep it all going.

Someone cleanses well you're boned aren't you, you are already risking ammo and now need to re apply a dot which requires ammo itself or a lot of screwing about spamming hammer shots just to fire a HiB.

Cleansing is something medic classes do ofc, some other classes can strip all removable debuffs off with the same effect.

Meanwhile to get that partially useful Grav you dumped Assault Plastique which IMO is a rubbish PVP ability, give me the full burst back any day even for PVE. However it's still better than a grav you cant use properly.

This isn't even close to the wall of text I could throw up about the issues Assault has in PVP but it's a start. Mostly you just gotta find out for yourself what your specs are good at or you'll never be sure.

Try it all and consider what does best in PVP while attacking, while defending, while trying to interfere with enemy players and while trying to help allies.

Cleanses hurt Assault a ton now b/c they impact your resource management. And with the stealth 6s ICD on Plasma Cell procs from Hammershot, the only way to reapply a DoT within that span is with Incendiary Round or Explosive Round, using ammo in a situation where you ordinarily wouldnt have to.

I think one way to give some DoT protection would be to refund ammo every time your DoTs get cleansed. Another option would be to proc a ammo-free, off-GCD Incendiary Round when one of your fire DoTs gets cleansed.

You should take Suit FOE. It helps when facing Sorc/Sages

I dont play PvP DPS, with my merc as of awhile, in fact i havent taken my merc to PvP at all in a while. So, the build may not be ideal for PvP, but in the short time i did PvP, i dont think even since having Suit FOE, ever used it. I just kinda forgot about it... probably because of playing too much of Assault VG and having the Assault Frame talent which reduces DoT damage by 15%.

Cleanses hurt Assault a ton now b/c they impact your resource management. And with the stealth 6s ICD on Plasma Cell procs from Hammershot, the only way to reapply a DoT within that span is with Incendiary Round or Explosive Round, using ammo in a situation where you ordinarily wouldnt have to.

I think one way to give some DoT protection would be to refund ammo every time your DoTs get cleansed. Another option would be to proc a ammo-free, off-GCD Incendiary Round when one of your fire DoTs gets cleansed.

Well, you could just use an Explosive Round to apply Plasma Cell, it's off the stealth ICD of Plasma Cell, so no real worries there, i think...

Edited by Kaos_KidSWTOR

Well, you could just use an Explosive Round to apply Plasma Cell, it's off the stealth ICD of Plasma Cell, so no real worries there, i think...

You are not following the issue.

Scenario 1: You attack a burning target, use a couple of charged bolts which lowers ammo and then use a free hib which regens ammo leaving you in a good ammo position to continue with good dps.

Scenario 2: You attack a burning target, use a couple of charged bolts which lower ammo, the target cleanses the dot and denies hib use. Whatever you do now you are going to lose damage momentum and the target hasn't even touched you with CC or interrupts yet.

I've said it many times before Assault is NOT a DoT class. Sage Balance is a DoT class.

Assault needs a target to be on fire to provide burst damage, sustained damage and improved ammo regen. The DoT does not even have to belong to that commando but if it is not present or gets removed the CAST damage which is the big hitter goes horribly downhill.

Edited by Gyronamics

• 4 weeks later...

This is why I stopped being Assault and switched to Gunnery on my Commando.

The Assault Vanguard doesn't have this problem because of Stockstrike applying Plasma Cell. Commandos should have a similar talent, maybe for Full Auto. So even if your target gets cleansed, you can reapply a burn with one of your rotation abilities, instead of having to use an extraneous one, like Explosive or Incendiary.

This is why I stopped being Assault and switched to Gunnery on my Commando.

The Assault Vanguard doesn't have this problem because of Stockstrike applying Plasma Cell. Commandos should have a similar talent, maybe for Full Auto. So even if your target gets cleansed, you can reapply a burn with one of your rotation abilities, instead of having to use an extraneous one, like Explosive or Incendiary.

Full Auto does have a chance to proc Plasma Cell b/c it is a ranged attack.

We have Explosive Round for a guaranteed proc, but it costs too much ammo to be used regularly.

Full Auto does have a chance to proc Plasma Cell b/c it is a ranged attack.

We have Explosive Round for a guaranteed proc, but it costs too much ammo to be used regularly.

Yeah, but its still a chance and its also a channel.

Scenario for Commandos: Target is cleansed, HIB is on cool down but IA will proc with the next GCD. You hit Full Auto, HIB resets, but Plasma Cell doesn't proc. You have to spend an extra GCD and ammo to apply a burn in order to use HIB.

Scenario for Vanguards: Target is cleansed, HIB is on cool down but IA will proc with the next GCD. You hit Stock Strike, HIB resets and Plasma Cell is applied because of 100% proc chance. You hit HIB straight away without having waste extra GCDs or ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

The build overall looks good but I wouldn't bother having Reflexive battery at all and take 1 point away from Degauss and instead put it on the cell capacitor in the medic section and 1 point in field training. They will be of much more of a use to you than buffs to the concussion charge and diversion especially in PVP.