Player Housing will be underwhelming

Uelle

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what I meant. What they can do is build their own to fit into their own game without having to worry about revere engineering and/or legal ramifications.

In other words, they already have the blueprints and don't have to worry about snapping briefcases if they were to use them.

That's not what I meant. What they can do is build their own to fit into their own game without having to worry about revere engineering and/or legal ramifications.

In other words, they already have the blueprints and don't have to worry about snapping briefcases if they were to use them.

Fair enough, though I don't know how helpful that would be for them. It'd still be a good amount of work I'm sure to adapt something like that for their own purposes.

That said I'd like to see them giving the option to place everything wherever you want, like in the sims.

Uelle. I just have to chime in and say trust me, it will not be underwhelming. Also, you are very dismal about this game and don't seem to really like it all that much. Why do you criticize it so much and hard and say things will be bad and are just negative?

That said I'd like to see them giving the option to place everything wherever you want, like in the sims.

Yeah the architecture/design elements (for lack of better terms) aspects are definitely what I'd like to see the most.

However, I still think the a Godmode type of thing were you use companions as the "sims" does have a certain level of appeal.

Like say your BH and Smug are bros and they share a uber flat together to pool their combined riches. One night they have a party, everyone gets drunk, and it's decided Bowdaar and Blizz would make a cute couple.

Of course it will be lackluster. This isn't a sandbox game. I am happy they are adding any housing in at all, considering you already have your ship. Han Solo lived on the Falcon for most of his smuggling career.

Yeah. Given the option I think I still would have preferred they had added ship customization instead.

The sad thing is they have access to The Sims engine. Even a watered-down version combined with Legacy/companion pairings could really make hosing in this game something special and unique in the MMO community.

I would never want them to use the sims as a template. You think this game has bugs? Wait until you have to install third party mods just to get your game to work the way it's meant to. That's the sims 3.

He is posting his opinion based on Biowares history with this game. You and others post your opinion based on wishful thinking.

Why is it wishful thinking to be a little bit optimistic? Bioware has not done EVERYTHING wrong. I think they deserve some positivity.

Why is it wishful thinking to be a little bit optimistic? Bioware has not done EVERYTHING wrong. I think they deserve some positivity.

Indeed. People like that have trapped themselves in the logical fallacy that is self-fulfilling prophecy. When someone convinces themself of something's failure, regardless of the reality during the time of implementation, it will still be a failure to them.

Perception is everything.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

Because wishful thinking and unmanaged expectations are why the game crashed so hard after release and why they had to implement Freemium to begin with (for which I am glad because it is the future of the MMO industry).

Indeed. People like that have trapped themselves in the logical fallacy that is self-fulfilling prophecy. When someone convinces themself of something's failure, regardless of the reality during the time of implementation, it will still be a failure to them.

Perception is everything.

And hence why we still have people who are firmly of the believe that the game is "dead" despite the fact that it is now more popular and profitable than ever.

However, taken the first part hasn't really changed all that much in the gaming community (the wishful thinking and unmanaged expectations), then the second (failure) is all but assured again because whatever BW implements with housing, it will never measure up to the gaming communities wishfulness and expectations.

Edited by TravelersWay

Because wishful thinking and unmanaged expectations are why the game crashed so hard after release and why they had to implement Freemium to begin with (for which I am glad because it is the future of the MMO industry).

And hence why we still have people who are firmly of the believe that the game is "dead" despite the fact that it is now more popular and profitable than ever.

However, taken the first part hasn't really changed all that much in the gaming community (the wishful thinking and unmanaged expectations), then the second (failure) is all but assured again because whatever BW implements with housing, it will never measure up to the gaming communities wishfulness and expectations.

While you are very right but the first few months into release, I feel that the players have some responsibility in this. I mean for example, I feel that if that if people were not so jaded by other mmos that came before and honestly tried to come here expecting something new, maybe the reaction would not have been so bad.

For me it's hard to understand what we could do with this house, we couldn't cook because there isn't a cook system on swtor, we couldn't craft objects because there is the crew crafting system and companions craft things, we couldn't sleep because it doesn't exist interaction between objects and players so what could we do? perhaps we could only read mails and take pvp quest.

While you are very right but the first few months into release, I feel that the players have some responsibility in this. I mean for example, I feel that if that if people were not so jaded by other mmos that came before and honestly tried to come here expecting something new, maybe the reaction would not have been so bad.

Well, what I was trying to confer with my post is that I think the players have a lot of responsibility in what happened. Certainly EA and BW made some mistakes, but ultimately it is up to the player base to manage their own expectations when it comes to what a game can and should deliver. And that includes understanding that there are no "standards" when it comes to what should be or not be in an MMO at launch or even beyond. The gaming community has shown a distinct lack of being able to have reasonable expectations when it comes to gaming development.

I absolutely guarantee there will be a lot of ways to customize your house...... With things bought off the cartel market. And youll probably be able to have multiple houses on different planets so you have more space for cartel crap.

Predictions:

-At most will most likely be 1 place on each planet..AT MOST (maybe different layouts for each planet?)

-Unlock items that have a set position in the home, and will look exactly the same as everyone elses "home" when they too get all the unlocks. Unlikely you will get to choose the location of these items. Unlock with credits or cartel coins.

-Companions will be placed in the home too

-Cartel Packs with banners or lampshades to put inside the home.

-Very limited customization

Basically this is just your starship but in a flat or something. In my opinion, I don't really care for player housing, but if it makes other people happy then thats great. I'm already underwhelmed thinking about it (because of the game engine etc). Who knows, maybe it'll turn out really awesome and you do get to fully customize your house like in SWG (99% sure it won't be like that), but for now, meh, nothing special.

Can you give a link to your source where the devs confirmed this?

I know obviously I would hope the devs would come out a say that;)

I'm sure there will be another announcement next week from Musco because of all the "housing" threads. Musco did the same thing over the rancor mount.