Learning Pyro, and looking for some tips.

CaptainLunch

Hi,

As the title says, I just respeced my merc to dps to run with a new progression group, and they want me to run pyro. This isn't a problem except I've never run pyro before and am having trouble mimicking the rotation of the top parses on the dps leader board. I'm not really looking for anything specific here, just some tips on how to contribute more to a raid as a dps and especially as a merc :).

I have managed to put together a few parses, but I feel there is a lot more damage that could be going out that isn't :(.

*a pretty recent dummy parse http://www.torparse.com/a/600531

*What my priority has been: After my opener, I generally use a RS proc to reapply IM or TD, or use unload if i'm running high on heat.

*and my amr(ish) http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/be2623d2-4f87-4c60-9bf6-575f846bbcef

Anything helps,

If you're looking for rotation a good one is:

Use your two make it instant and free buttons and fire

Fusion missile -> explosive dart -> thermal det. -> incendiary missile -> rail shot -> unload -> rail shot -> electro net(to allow time for another railshot proc) -> power shot (or whatever it's called) until -> railshot -> fusion missile -> explosive dart -> vent heat. -> repeat from step 3. as applicable.

Used right, it'll do really nice damage really fast and lets cooldowns cool down, heat levels not go crazy, and proc times enough time to proc. It's a lot to do, but it's the best I've found so far and lets me feel like I'm always doing something.

If you're looking for rotation a good one is:

Use your two make it instant and free buttons and fire

Fusion missile -> explosive dart -> thermal det. -> incendiary missile -> rail shot -> unload -> rail shot -> electro net(to allow time for another railshot proc) -> power shot (or whatever it's called) until -> railshot -> fusion missile -> explosive dart -> vent heat. -> repeat from step 3. as applicable.

Used right, it'll do really nice damage really fast and lets cooldowns cool down, heat levels not go crazy, and proc times enough time to proc. It's a lot to do, but it's the best I've found so far and lets me feel like I'm always doing something.

No

I reliably parse at around 3800 dps. I am ranked 5th on Torparse for dummy parses. Allow me to assist you.

Number one goal is to proc Prototype particle accelerator (PPA) every six seconds. Firing off the Rail Shots (RS) that are procced from PPA will increase your damage and make heat management much easier. You can reliably proc PPA every 6 seconds by using two abilities that can proc it within every 6 second window. The only two abilities that can proc it are Unload (UL) and Power Shot (PS). this means you should be firing off A LOT of Power shots.

6 seconds is four global cooldowns (GCD). That means we break up our rotation into 4 GCD chunks. The only skill we use that is longer than 1 GCD is UL, and that is 2 full GCDs, so it fits nicely in the rotation.

Abbreviations

PS- Power Shot

UL- Unload

TD- Thermal Detonator

IM- Incendiary Missile

RS- Rail Shot

RP- Rapid Shots

FM- Fusion Missile

EN- Electro Net

TSO- Thermal Sensor Override

Keep in mind that we have to cast RS every 6 seconds. In order to do that reliably we have to either cast 2 power shots or 1 PS and 1 UL every 6 seconds. That leaves us with only a few options for rotation.

6 Second combinations

1. TD>PS>PS>RS 48 heat

2. EN>PS>PS>RS 40 heat

3. TSO+FM>PS>PS>RS 32 heat

4. PS>PS>PS>RS 48 heat

5. IM>PS>PS>RS 48 heat

6. UL>PS>RS 42 heat

7. RP>PS>PS>RS 32 heat

Those are basically the only combinations you ever want to use. NEVER use missle blast. Take it off your bar. Explosive dart is barely useable. NEVER use it during a single target fight. only with adds or something like that, and even then there are much better options, like DFA and flamethrower. NEVER use Fusion missle without Thermal sensor override. It deals good damage, but is incredibly inefficient regarding heat.

Just use the above 6 second combinations. They vary on heat consumption and damage of course. I put them in order of highest damage to lowest. Their total heat cost, before the RS heat dump and the normal heat dissipation, is listed. Obviously prioritize the use of the highest damage combo you can use while keeping heat below 40.

This is my opener. It is the highest initial DPS combination that I have found. ALL of the top merc DPS use THIS EXACT rotation to start off their fights. Its a lot to learn, but I literally just wrote this from memory. Its not to hard to get ingrained with a little practice.

TD>EN>Adrenal+IM>RS>PS>PS>RS>TSO+FM>PS>PS>RS>

TD>PS>PS>RS>IM>PS>PS>RS>PS>PS>PS>RS>TD>

VENT HEAT>PS>PS>RS>IM>PS>PS>RS>UL>PS>RS>TD>PS>PS>RS

After this initial rotation you want to move in the 6 second chunks, making sure to use the highest damage combinations you can while keeping your heat below 40. Use your abilities with cooldowns like electro net and the TSO+FM combo right when they come off cooldown, as they are very heat efficient and deal good damage. But make sure to use the combo they are associated with. That is the only way to maximize damage. The PPA proc is KING. Rail Shots, baby. Rail shots.

Do you take any of the alacrity improving talents? I notice I sometimes have to use rail shot three times to proc and I think its because I am at 3% alacrity(1% from companion buff, 2% from talent that reduces cooldown of vent heat)

I already forgo taking the teir 1 talent that gives 2% alacrity because of this.

You need to get rid of the 2 points in System Calibrations. May as well take one out of Volatile Warhead as well and put 3 points to Integrated Cardio Package.

Even with only 2% alacrity I miss ppa sometimes due to good connection. Normally in ops it's not an issue as latency is doubled during that time of day.

TD>EN>Adrenal+IM>RS>PS>PS>RS>TSO+FM>PS>PS>RS>

TD>PS>PS>RS>IM>PS>PS>RS>PS>PS>PS>RS>TD>

VENT HEAT>PS>PS>RS>IM>PS>PS>RS>UL>PS>RS>TD>PS>PS>RS

Also, using power surge with Fusion Missile allows more dot ticks during your adrenal. So:

TD>EN>Adrenal+IM>RS>PS>PS>RS>Power Surge+TSO+FM>PS>PS>RS>

Edited by KTap

You need to get rid of the 2 points in System Calibrations. May as well take one out of Volatile Warhead as well and put 3 points to Integrated Cardio Package.

Even with only 2% alacrity I miss ppa sometimes due to good connection. Normally in ops it's not an issue as latency is doubled during that time of day.

Also, using power surge with Fusion Missile allows more dot ticks during your adrenal. So:

TD>EN>Adrenal+IM>RS>PS>PS>RS>Power Surge+TSO+FM>PS>PS>RS>

I do not take the alacrity bonus at all. It messes up ppa proc, almost consistently when I use unload. I find it more of a hindrance than help.

And yes you are right, use power surge with the TSO. I always use it, but just forgot to put it in the rotation.

• 2 weeks later...