The Rating Game.

Lovethebeard

+8 rating for a win and -15 for a loss is really annoying, can anyone explain how rating is given in ranked PvP? Seems kinda stupid.

In theory, ELO is supposed to compare your ratings and give different amounts of points depending on if the higher rated player won or lost.

In theory, when the higher rated player wins few points are gained/deducted, as that outcome is expected. When the lower rated player wins lots of points are gained/deducted because it suggests that the scores are inaccurate and need to be adjusted.

In theory, getting +8 rating means your team had a significantly higher rating and beat a much lower rated team. Likewise, a -15 would mean you lost to someone who was rated lower than you.

In reality, I have no idea how it works.

I've had teammates with higher ratings than me get more points than me when we play together on the same team.

I've heard guesses that more ratings are giving when the total number of games played is lower.

I've heard that high ranked players both gain and lose ~10 points per match, even when they are hundreds of rating above their opponents.

TLDR: I don't know, and I fear I have wasted your time with my post.

the elo system is designed to play people in ur rating range (mostly 200+/-). with the same rating ud get +/-25, if u got like 200pts more it would be like +32/-18.. i think u get it. BUT in swtor it doesnt work like that, because no1+1700 points would ever get an invite. ud need like 500-1000 people in que to make this work and the only way to come even close to that would be crossserver pvp, which as we all know never comes.

sooo what we have here is something like bolster - even bw doesnt get it.

i experienced that u always lose the same amount of points, for exampe with a 1900+ rating -15, with 2000+ -16. the amount of elo u get for victories actually depends on the opponent. it varies from 5-11 points with 2000+ rating. so i think u need a certain win rate to archieve certain ratings. 1500 ~60% 2000 70% 2500 80% 3000 90%.

Edited by SportFree

I don't want to start new thread so I'm asking here, do you lose rating for leaving a game before the timer starts?

Yes. You even lose rating for not accepting a queue pop (this was to prevent players in group ranked from cherry picking fights, using one team member as a sacrificial goat).

Edited by Jherad