PvP- Pyro or Arsenal

lordnathanial

I am curious I have been playing a Mando assault a lot as of late but, I also began messing around on a merc to see which animations I like better before I level one to 55. So which do you think is better in PvP the pyro or the assault? I like the playstyle of pyro just curious from those that have played both.

Thanks in advance.

I am curious I have been playing a Mando assault a lot as of late but, I also began messing around on a merc to see which animations I like better before I level one to 55. So which do you think is better in PvP the pyro or the assault? I like the playstyle of pyro just curious from those that have played both.

Thanks in advance.

I would prefer pyro in pvp.

Arsenal has combos with very high burst every 15" but less mobility. Less defenses also against stealth classes which are Mercs natural foes.

Pyro has mobility, dots, high burst combos and dps.

Arsenal has combos with very high burst every 15" but less mobility. Less defenses also against stealth classes which are Mercs natural foes.

Yup. I can't count the amount of times I've had a trooper or BH try to hit me with a thermal det on my merc. I just pop chaff flare and laugh at the "Resist" fly text.

Yup. I can't count the amount of times I've had a trooper or BH try to hit me with a thermal det on my merc. I just pop chaff flare and laugh at the "Resist" fly text.

And he does the same to your full auto, which is a huge chunk of arsenal's damage. Both specs have great damage potential, but pyro has the advantage of a reliable proc and being less cast-dependent.

Aesthetically, Heatseeker missile has the most visceral thrill.

I was thinking about trying out being a healer but I don't rotate teammates fast with hotkeys. Maybe I will have to try and give that a whirl. I love pyro though having fun even when I get focused and that is what it is all about anyways.

Speaking of bodyguard... as a pvp healer do you primarily use hotkeys to rotate people to heal or do you use the op frame?

Edited by lordnathanial

Both! And while you're at it bodyguard too

This...

I play all three and do just fine playing all 3 in regulars. In solo ranked I've played both Pyro and arsenal with success.

Arsenal requires very good positioning and staying ahead of melee by using LOS effectively. Your overall numbers will be far more affected by effective interrupts and stuns, but you will still have the burst to take people out quickly.

Pyro can do much more damage on the run, so you can drag people out into deep water and melt them. I find pyro a really nice spec for kiting melee away from the healers and blowing them up...

I find that pyro has a higher overall damage cap if you are spreading dots, but the delta between the two is mostly fluff damage.

Edited by BigDumbViking

Aesthetically, Heatseeker missile has the most visceral thrill.

Heatseeker is more than an aesthetic thrill... It is one of the hardest hitting single talents in the game right now. Mine land regularly for over 10k, and I've maxed out around 13k. Those types of big hits put people on panic street.

Heatseeker is more than an aesthetic thrill... It is one of the hardest hitting single talents in the game right now. Mine land regularly for over 10k, and I've maxed out around 13k. Those types of big hits put people on panic street.

Oh, I know. I felt bad for a sage that i hit for 10k killing blows 3 times in a huttball. Heatseeker is an amazing top-tier talent, but Pyro is still stronger in high-end PvP (arenas) due to less of a reliance on casts and therefore more mobility. It's dot pressure also allows it to continually apply at least some damage while self-healing/kiting. Not to mention it has a less fixed rotation and great combos for amazing insta-burst when timed properly.

Honestly, Bodyguard is still my favorite. The recent buffs allow it to be viable in ranked to those skilled at the spec. It is still inferior to ops, but at least on par with sages if not better. Solo queue is still unfriendly to mercs in general where we are more or less a meatshield and your ability to outlast your team's primary target is most important. But in team ranked, a good merc of any spec is an asset.

Also, you must use the ops frame when healing :)

Edited by PhatMcMuffins

Pyro question...

Whats is the best way to keep melee classes away? Lets say I pop them back with jet boost do you begin charge casting, back pedal, strafe with rapids? Since there isn't a root at least not at the level I am at they just get back up on you.

Thanks so much for all the advice so far

Don't blow your knockback on the first jump. Just pop hydro and start setting them up with TD > ED > IM while you're kiting. Once hydro ends and they leap again, use jet boost to get enough distance to finish them. Oh and if net is up, just net them and /point and laugh. ;)

Pyro is still stronger in high-end PvP (arenas) due to less of a reliance on casts and therefore more mobility. It's dot pressure also allows it to continually apply at least some damage while self-healing/kiting. Not to mention it has a less fixed rotation and great combos for amazing insta-burst when timed properly.

Pyro is utter piss against a half decent scoundrel healer and most likely against a half decent commando healer too now.

Without dots on the target you cant regen action points properly or land any railshots and fluffing by simply repeating IM is not even mildly damaging without heavy casting backing it up. SRM or TP mops up that fluff easily.

Pyro is utter piss against a half decent scoundrel healer and most likely against a half decent commando healer too now.

Without dots on the target you cant regen action points properly or land any railshots and fluffing by simply repeating IM is not even mildly damaging without heavy casting backing it up. SRM or TP mops up that fluff easily.

You're not doing it right, then.

Line up your burst. ED>TD>IM>RS>FA>RS = a ton of damage. As soon as they pop evasion, throw incendiary back on to prevent them from stealth escaping. We have 3 dots. Cleanse can only take off 2 and its a gcd wasted in our favor. Don't waste FA and RS on evasion and you're golden. Not to mention if this is ranked, your net is probably on the op when you're preparing the kill. Arsenal does not compete with pyro in ranked because of its reliance on casts and a broken proc for most of its damage.

Lastly, rapid shots will reapply your dot if you're having any heat issues, which is difficult in pyro because heat management is lollerskates

Edited by PhatMcMuffins

I play as Arsenal and find it more rewarding than pyro. I save cooldowns strictly for stealth classes. Put some distance between them as soon as possible, put the net on them, if haven't put some distance between yourself and your opponent keep moving and pop power surge, hit them with tracer-fusion missile-explosive dart, heatseeker missile and you've most like proc'd barrage in this rotation so hit them with unload. Its enough dmg to make most stealth opponents think twice. Obviously, your cc breaker and hydraulic overrides are a important part of this. Believe me its hilarious when are stealth jumps ya and you kite them and nuke them down.

Use your environment to your benefit, the high ground is usually good for you and this goes for all mercs/commandos.

As always pick your targets, softies first.

Oh, I know. I felt bad for a sage that i hit for 10k killing blows 3 times in a huttball. Heatseeker is an amazing top-tier talent, but Pyro is still stronger in high-end PvP (arenas) due to less of a reliance on casts and therefore more mobility. It's dot pressure also allows it to continually apply at least some damage while self-healing/kiting. Not to mention it has a less fixed rotation and great combos for amazing insta-burst when timed properly.

Honestly, Bodyguard is still my favorite. The recent buffs allow it to be viable in ranked to those skilled at the spec. It is still inferior to ops, but at least on par with sages if not better. Solo queue is still unfriendly to mercs in general where we are more or less a meatshield and your ability to outlast your team's primary target is most important. But in team ranked, a good merc of any spec is an asset.

Also, you must use the ops frame when healing :)

Personally, I think they are about the same for Solo ranked. Mid tree has better survivability and their burst isn't as easy to mitigate as pyro... plus the armor pen de-buff benefits the entire group. In regulars, Pyro puts up huge numbers because of the lack of cleanses typically.... In arenas, you are almost always going to run across a Merc or Op healer who can cleanse... Cleansed target means no rail shot... no rail shot means no burst...

No offense, but Pyro has a lower skill cap to be competitive in a ranked environment is all.

Personally, I think they are about the same for Solo ranked. Mid tree has better survivability and their burst isn't as easy to mitigate as pyro... plus the armor pen de-buff benefits the entire group. In regulars, Pyro puts up huge numbers because of the lack of cleanses typically.... In arenas, you are almost always going to run across a Merc or Op healer who can cleanse... Cleansed target means no rail shot... no rail shot means no burst...

No offense, but Pyro has a lower skill cap to be competitive in a ranked environment is all.

It is so easy to reapply with volatile warhead and im.

Edited by Aetideus