New / Old Question for Assault Spec Commando 2 8 36

Chazcon

Long time Vanguard rolling a Commando.

For Commando Assault spec only, 2 8 36, what are the negative effects on total DPS output by using a Blaster Rifle vs. Auto Cannon?

I know that for Gunnery spec you give away about 4% total DPS, significant.

What about Assault spec?

Long time Vanguard rolling a Commando.

For Commando Assault spec only, 2 8 36,

What are you doing with 2 points in combat medic.

Assault wants 10 minimum in gunnery unless you're going for epeen dummy parses where you drop pushback resistance to get 2 more crit from combat medic.

What are you doing with 2 points in combat medic.

Assault wants 10 minimum in gunnery unless you're going for epeen dummy parses where you drop pushback resistance to get 2 more crit from combat medic.

Link your AMR build for me, thx.

You never want to use a rifle for any Commando DPS spec. It can technically work with Gunnery since none of your main rotation abilities (Grav Round, Full Auto, HIB, Demo Round) require a cannon, but your non-tech damage will be nerfed significantly due to the lower weapon damage of rifles.

Only healing Commandos can get away with using a rifle, since healing is all tech-based and is only affected by the level of your mainhand barrel, not the weapon type, and no healing abilities require a cannon.

This is the build I use for Assault

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800ZrccZcGrbzRrffdz.3

I would think for PvE you might want to take the alacrity rather than the endurance in tier 1, but for PvP the slightly larger health pool is going to be more useful than .03s off of the GCD

Yes I've seen that spec, difference between the two is anti-pushback (yours) max DPS (mine). Both are good. DPS difference is slight. I may just use yours because the one thing I notice esp. coming from a Vanguard is dealing with pushback. On VG I always try to drop a CC before Pulse Cannon for that very reason.

Yes I've seen that spec, difference between the two is anti-pushback (yours) max DPS (mine). Both are good. DPS difference is slight. I may just use yours because the one thing I notice esp. coming from a Vanguard is dealing with pushback. On VG I always try to drop a CC before Pulse Cannon for that very reason.

Max dps is an illusion.

You take any damage you become much much slower in delivering damage. You will lose ranged encounters with players who have pushback resistance.

Charged bolts now has 100% resistance to pushback which means even taking damage to the face won't stop you casting CB, HiB, IR, AP at them.

No reason at all except for whacking off a dummy to chase leaderboard parses to skip on pushback resistance as a CASTER.

Max dps is an illusion.

You take any damage you become much much slower in delivering damage. You will lose ranged encounters with players who have pushback resistance.

Charged bolts now has 100% resistance to pushback which means even taking damage to the face won't stop you casting CB, HiB, IR, AP at them.

No reason at all except for whacking off a dummy to chase leaderboard parses to skip on pushback resistance as a CASTER.

Basically this. 2% crit chance is not worth the overall damage you gain by being able to at least cast while taking damage, which is often.

Basically this. 2% crit chance is not worth the overall damage you gain by being able to at least cast while taking damage, which is often.

I agree with that. In our guild we went through a phase of doing TORParses on training dummies. You can get some crazy DPS parses. Now when you go out in the real world and get in a fight, for starters you can skip every other GCD and see how that plays hell with your perfect rotation.

It's like trying to throw a football with someone spraying a hose in your face - it's more about maintaining your presence of mind and still getting the job done.

Thanks for the replies, all very good stuff.

I agree with that. In our guild we went through a phase of doing TORParses on training dummies. You can get some crazy DPS parses. Now when you go out in the real world and get in a fight, for starters you can skip every other GCD and see how that plays hell with your perfect rotation.

It's like trying to throw a football with someone spraying a hose in your face - it's more about maintaining your presence of mind and still getting the job done.

Thanks for the replies, all very good stuff.

Or trying to throw a football with a 6'5 275lb linebacker trying to bury you in the turf rofl :D