How'd I do on my laptop purchase?

Solaras

I'm broke. I'm a public employee whose wife quit her full-time job to finish school, so please bear this in mind as my goal was to find a decent gaming laptop on a less-than-modest budget. I really needed to keep it under $1k so this is what I went with. (Lenovo Y510p)

Processor

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

Operating System

Windows 8.1 64

Display

15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Wedge 1920x1080

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB

Memory

8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

Hard Drive

1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD

Optical Drive

DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

Network Card

Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230

I've been playing SWTOR on a horrible $250.00 Walmart laptop since my Desktop died, so I'm really just hoping to be able to play on something higher than than the lowest-of-low settings I've been playing on.

Do you think this will do?

Thanks in advance!

You did fine, that machine will run TOR at medium or better settings with no trouble. I have a Y400 that's pretty similar; previous gen i7, but same GT750m, and it has no problems running the game. It's not my main TOR rig (I usually use a better-equipped desktop) but whenever I'm on the road, the Y400 does the trick.

EDIT: forgot that I did throw an SSD in mine (not just the little cache drive), which probably speeds up loading times a bit - but it certainly isn't necessary. Maybe you can make that upgrade down the road if you feel the need.

Edited by MaximilianPower

I'm broke. I'm a public employee whose wife quit her full-time job to finish school, so please bear this in mind as my goal was to find a decent gaming laptop on a less-than-modest budget. I really needed to keep it under $1k so this is what I went with. (Lenovo Y510p)

This was the most important part of your post. Yes, you did great for under 1K!! You can play this game with a GT750M. That what the 15 inch MBPs have and I've used that with some success, running a VM mind you, so yes you should be good using that on a dedicated PC. CPU looks very solid and RAM exceeds the needs of the game. My guess is the 24GB SSD has the OS on it. While it would be ideal for gaming reasons to have the game running there, instead of the OS, I suspect you should still see some efficiencies even just having Win 8 running there. As others have said, be willing to tweak game settings.

One other thing I'd suggest is that if you have (which I'm almost sure you do) an integrated GPU as well, make sure that card doesn't kick in for gaming. In my case, I've set my GLOBAL settings to use the dedicated card, but at least make sure its set to be used for gaming (usually something like "high performance" mode or the like). May seem obvious, but this can save some hours of annoyance when your "smart" machine tries to pick what GPU it thinks is best for the situation.

Good luck!!

My guess is the 24GB SSD has the OS on it. While it would be ideal for gaming reasons to have the game running there, instead of the OS, I suspect you should still see some efficiencies even just having Win 8 running there. As others have said, be willing to tweak game settings.

Actually the SSD is just for caching, the OS isn't on there. It does make a noticeable speed increase. I'm not 100% certain (and don't feel like taking the three seconds to google this) but I believe that SSD is NGFF, so hypothetically OP could buy a larger NGFF drive and put the game (and OS, or whatever) on there. Those SSDs aren't cheap, though. Prior y series models used mSATA cache drives, which were much cheaper to upgrade. That's what I did.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.