What happen to Darthhater.com?

Stoleo

Did this site just die out or something? When I use to play, it was my go to place for information. Now the place hasn't had a post in over a month, and hardly any coverage of swtor lately.

~95% of all fan and pseudo-pro sites for MMOs fold within 12 months of game launch. Mostly due to two factors: 1) There are too many of them.. and they exist to harvest advertising revenues from fan visits...rather then actually care and feeding of the fans...so when the frenzy subsides after a launch..... they fold, 2) only the best, and the best managed and maintained survive.

And frankly, the ones that try to automate database gathering of item info from fans are the worst, IMO. And I don't think they expect to survive more then 6 months as a quick revenue grab from traffic to ads.

Want to see how it's done right? -------> Dulfy.net.

Edited by Andryah

~95% of all fan and pseudo-pro sites for MMOs fold within 12 months of game launch. Mostly due to two factors: 1) There are too many of them.. and they exist to harvest advertising revenues from fan visits...rather then actually care and feeding of the fans...so when the frenzy subsides after a launch..... they fold, 2) only the best, and the best managed and maintained survive.

And frankly, the ones that try to automate database gathering of item info from fans are the worst, IMO. And I don't think they expect to survive more then 6 months as a quick revenue grab from traffic to ads.

I also think a lot of people that start them don't realise how much effort goes into maintaining them, and generating regular traffic. They run them for a week, and when they're not smash hits right away they abandon them.

That may be true, but I know for a fact the creator gave up on swtor and that he was a huge fanboy for quite a long time. If you watch old The Republic episodes you can see his fall documented lol.

Dulfy killed it. DH lost all credibility some time around the Makeb release (they were tricked by swtor's marketing which made them look dumb). Then Curse let the people running the site go. At least that's how I remember it.

Dulfy happened to it.

Dulfy rules.

And not by default.... but by her good will, attention to detail, hard work, and being scrupulous in her coverage of things that are important to players. And not just for SWTOR either. I have no idea how she does it.. but I applaud how well she does it.

TL;DR Dulfy reset the bar for player support websites. That is all. :)

Edited by Andryah

The game is dead can you blame him?

Him who?

Darth Hater was a team of TOR enthusiasts hoping to make money by having the "go to" site early.

They sold out for cash to the same company that does the Alakhazam website and gold selling service.

The company was cheap, keeping on the unpaid players who started it in unpaid positions and hiring as many unpaid people as they could. I assume they were not successful in that venture, because when they stopped asking for people, updates stopped. And if they got people to do their work for free, you would assume the opposite would happen.

If you want someone who cares about the community and players first, and only makes a profit as a distant afterthought: check out dulfy.net

Basically the devs support dulfy.net as the "go to" place for info.

Yeah pretty much Dulfy's work killed Darthhater big time. I followed them during game testing and they did a great job, but once Curse got more involved it went downhill fast and they simply stopped providing a good service. Yes they posted a couple of generic guides and copy and pasted the dev tracker, but that really isn't a special service. Dulfy has gone above and beyond by going in depth with each update in turn providing the only real guide for the player base today.

The game isn't dead by the way, but I'm sure you know that since you are here.

Checked the site like last week or so and yea last update was about the GSF release, so over a month without any real update.

I noticed now afther seeing this thread and wanting to check the site that i cant go on the site anymore, when i click their link now i end up on swtorwiki, not sure if others had this cause looking at the thread it seems others have still checked the site very recently.

Sad overall tho... this site started out as my main info/guide/news site of swtor but as said allready dulfy slowly outdid them.

As far as i can remember my intrest for the site started to decline not long afther F2P set in and dulfy overtook them and like 4-6 months later by the time of 2.0 release only dulfy was left on my list, and i believe it was also shortly afther 2.0 that the main guy from the site left the gamebreaker show which he did for like 2 years or so.

Woah everyone in here has no idea what they are talking about.

First off Dulfy did not kill darthhater.com, back in the day darthhater.com was actually much better then duly.net. The only thing dulfy did better then darthhater was operation guides. Darthhater always tried to do operation guides but they were never that good. What darthhater did do that was better then everyone else at the time was news coverage, event coverage, they had one the best podcasts at the time, a fully functional database, did player surveys ect.

So what did happen to Darthhater?

Well some of you have it sort of right, the game is dead and many of the fan sites at that point bail so the owner of darthhater sold the site off to curse. Once curse took over darthhater updates nearly came to a stop, the database work stopped, the podcast stopped and all the player interaction stopped and well now its a done deal.

Why is dulfy so successful now?

Two things, last man standing and exclusive info. Dulfy stayed consistent and kept going despite all the things going down with the game but not only that she has a working relationship with bioware. She gets access to every much early then most of us not to mention direct shootout from the community team. Being that she gets sneak peaks on allot of things she has the info up before anyone else now making it impossible for other fan sites to even compete.

I like dulfy but there were better sites out there then dulfy back when the game was in its prime. Dulfy was always an alright site but only in the last year has the site really started to do great work and pull ahead of what others were doing.

Being that she gets sneak peaks on allot of things she has the info up before anyone else now making it impossible for other fan sites to even compete.

I am not sure where you getting your info from, but I do not have sneak peak before anyone else or exclusive early access like you mentioned. Whatever access I have, all other fansites get it. There is no special treatment for my site. Most of my info is from the PTS which everyone has access to anyways. It is just a matter of putting in the time and doing the work, there is no magical special treatment.

I am not sure where you getting your info from, but I do not have sneak peak before anyone else or exclusive early access like you mentioned. Whatever access I have, all other fansites get it. There is no special treatment for my site. Most of my info is from the PTS which everyone has access to anyways. It is just a matter of putting in the time and doing the work, there is no magical special treatment.

I'd have to say I don't see any evidence of "special treatment" or "early access" on your part either. DBR's off PTS for example are hardly "early access" as anyone with the desire to do so can do the same. Don't let the haters get to ya.

and with that the mighty Dulfy has made her statement and graced this thread with her presence. ALL HAIL HER GLORY AND MIGHT!!!

those guides got me through both every single event, I ain't seen other websites thattook the time to make guides as comprehensive as hers.

Edited by Sangrar

and with that the mighty Dulfy has made her statement and graced this thread with her presence. ALL HAIL HER GLORY AND MIGHT!!!

those guides got me through both every single event, I ain't seen other websites thattook the time to make guides as comprehensive as hers.

I love the mount/speeder galleries too. Helped immensely in finding the two or three decent speeders in the dozens of "meh" clones, for example. And I constantly peruse the fashion pages looking for something unique.

I love the mount/speeder galleries too. Helped immensely in finding the two or three decent speeders in the dozens of "meh" clones, for example. And I constantly peruse the fashion pages looking for something unique.

yeah and the cartel set previews along with the cantina thumbdrive info, of which I suddenly remember is probably going to be posted tomarrow since the cantina tour is tonight, can't wait to wake up tomorrow and see that

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.