HoloCalls... Do You Ever Wonder...?

Kranitoko

So I've seen this A LOT in SWTOR, and even in other star wars items like The Clone Wars animated show...

Why is it in HoloCalls, the person on the other end will (if the player is higher than the handheld holocom) look UP at the person, even though the other person on the end is probably holding a handheld one also?

For example, this image:

Minor spoiler in the Sith Inquisitor story, but if you look at this image, you'll probably forget who this person is when you come to it yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/9fxoSvg.jpg

Pyron is looking up at my character. Now if he has his holocom on the floor (because you can see he isn't holding it), I from his perspective would be below him on the ground (around knee level)... yet he is looking UP at me.

Am I making sense? Hope so.

They have a bigger holo than you so they are looking up at your image standing over them?

In other words, they are seeing you at full size.

But I doubt that. This guy in the image I posted is

being attacked

so there's probably a small chance he's using a big one, but a small handheld one, and he's not even holding it.

It's a handheld device that fully renders a 3d holographic model of the person, which is fine with you. But when it detects where the user's eye level is and adjusts the image so the caller is looking at you, THAT'S too much to just go with it?

Yep. Similar to this...

But then... that guy is looking down at you.

So on his end... would he also be looking up at you or would he have a smaller device installed?

It's a handheld device that fully renders a 3d holographic model of the person, which is fine with you. But when it detects where the user's eye level is and adjusts the image so the caller is looking at you, THAT'S too much to just go with it?

Hmmmmm is all I can say to that really...

Edited by Kranitoko

Why is it in HoloCalls, the person on the other end will (if the player is higher than the handheld holocom) look UP at the person, even though the other person on the end is probably holding a handheld one also?

Because you're not supposed to notice that or care about it.

But if you want creative fiction maybe the holo you see, being a digitized representation of the person sending, has its own AI programmed in to make it act like a tiny person instead of being a direct copy/paste of the receiver.

They have a bigger holo than you so they are looking up at your image standing over them?

In other words, they are seeing you at full size.

This. From what I have seen in the Clone Wars show the people on both ends can see each other. If you want to get confused though watch the first episode from Season 1 of the Clone Wars. Yoda is on a holo-call with Ventress or Dooku (can't remember which) and at one point he is interrupted and actually turns around to see who interrupted him on the other end of the holo-call. It's kind of confusing to explain but if you watch it you'd understand. It doesn't really make sense to me though ha ha.

But on topic... both people can see each other so the dude kneeling would be able to see that he is being held below.

If you want to get confused though watch the first episode from Season 1 of the Clone Wars. Yoda is on a holo-call with Ventress or Dooku (can't remember which) and at one point he is interrupted and actually turns around to see who interrupted him on the other end of the holo-call. It's kind of confusing to explain but if you watch it you'd understand. It doesn't really make sense to me though ha ha.

This too.

So I've seen this A LOT in SWTOR, and even in other star wars items like The Clone Wars animated show...

For example, this image:

Minor spoiler in the Sith Inquisitor story, but if you look at this image, you'll probably forget who this person is when you come to it yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/9fxoSvg.jpg

Pyron is looking up at my character. Now if he has his holocom on the floor (because you can see he isn't holding it), I from his perspective would be below him on the ground (around knee level)... yet he is looking UP at me.

Am I making sense? Hope so.

You'll also notice that the person on the other end will occasionally turn around to look at you, which makes even less sense. Then there's always the fact that they don't show up holding their own holo communicator. The best "explanation" I've seen is that it's showing you a computerized approximation of the person you're speaking with. When in reality he's kneeling looking down at a communicator it shows him with an empty hand, looking up at you as if he was a tiny person in front of you.

But really, it's pretty much just the rule-of-cool. Think of how it would like if they showed it correctly. They would both be shown staring at their respective devices, not looking at each other at all. That's not really "cool" to watch, so instead they show the person on the other end as if they're talking directly to them, no matter how little sense it actually makes.

First of all, this should be in "Star Wars Discussion" because it is not discussing the game, for the most part. I'll give you my idea that makes sense of this:

Why do they look up at you if they are holding your image in their hand, looking down?

The Star Wars Universe has a lot of high-tech equipment. The holo-communicator has a small computer in it that takes into account what surrounding area looks like and builds a 3D model based off of this. Depending on where the users are located, it will change the 3D model accordingly. Head detection, and eye detection are common even in our world.

Sometimes people will turn around to face someone behind them, why?

As I theorized above, perhaps the holo-communicator's computer projects the image according to the surrounding area. Because of the audio systems, you can hear from which direction the noise is coming from and turn around to face that direction and the holo-communicator will project that image. Obviously this could become a problem if you're moving around while speaking, so there are ways to "lock" the image to face that direction, regardless of your personal position. You'll be running around, and the person on the other end will see that, but the holo-communicator's computer detects that movement and corrects the image accordingly.

Why is the hologram so low in quality?

Think of how many holo-communicators exist in the galaxy. To mass produce them would already be more expensive than it would be worth. Low quality communicators would be the norm because it would be rare to see any different.

If that's the case, why didn't even Vader's ship have a better one?

He kind of did, they weren't low quality images, they were just not colored. It's possible it was just a waste of time and resources to upgrade them.

Come up with more questions, if you want. I'm good at "explaining away" problems like this.

Edited by Pingonaut

Love this thread.

Here's a stab. The person holding the holo makes a "call" (or vice versa). The person who is being "holo'd" is projected through space such that their "projection" is actually them (digitally-recreated) sitting there talking to you. So it's not like a video-conference, it's more like teleportation (with miniaturization).

So I make a holo call and Master Yoda answers. Master Yoda is then "teleported" digitally to my location, in mini holo form. He's literally sitting in my hand chatting with me, but it's his mini digital form. And from his vantage point (digital or otherwise), he "feels" as if he is sitting in my hand.

Love this thread.

Here's a stab. The person holding the holo makes a "call" (or vice versa). The person who is being "holo'd" is projected through space such that their "projection" is actually them (digitally-recreated) sitting there talking to you. So it's not like a video-conference, it's more like teleportation (with miniaturization).

So I make a holo call and Master Yoda answers. Master Yoda is then "teleported" digitally to my location, in mini holo form. He's literally sitting in my hand chatting with me, but it's his mini digital form. And from his vantage point (digital or otherwise), he "feels" as if he is sitting in my hand.

Think that through. Really, really think about it and understand how that doesn't work. You're acting as if the caller is the center of the universe.

Edited by Pingonaut

Think that through. Really, really think about it and understand how that doesn't work. You're acting as if the caller is the center of the universe.

Huh? First of all, we're trying to explain a fantasy concept that defies much logic. For any such explanation you have to suspend disbelief on one thing. If you have to suspend on more than that, the scifi/fantasy fails. But anyway, think this through again. There is a transmitter/receiver on the caller's end and a transceiver on the other end. Everyone has them. When you answer your holo on your transceiver, you enable a feature that digitally duplicates you (suspended disbelief step) at the other transceiver. Your digital persona is now as if it is physically in that room or wherever. It's basically a teleport of your digital self. Doesn't seem any zanier than anything else.

Huh? First of all, we're trying to explain a fantasy concept that defies much logic. For any such explanation you have to suspend disbelief on one thing. If you have to suspend on more than that, the scifi/fantasy fails. But anyway, think this through again. There is a transmitter/receiver on the caller's end and a transceiver on the other end. Everyone has them. When you answer your holo on your transceiver, you enable a feature that digitally duplicates you (suspended disbelief step) at the other transceiver. Your digital persona is now as if it is physically in that room or wherever. It's basically a teleport of your digital self. Doesn't seem any zanier than anything else.

To me what I originally posted makes a lot more sense. Teleportation like that is way off, even for Star Wars.

Holocalls are not really a video transmissions as we know them today. The communicator scans the person and its movements, but the image on the receiving end is adjusted for the viewer, to maintain eye-to-eye contact.

Basically it works like a motion capturing for movies. All facial movements and anything the actor does is captured, and then is placed on a virtual construct in computer, which can be adjusted further...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.