Makeb Leveling Question...

jacksonsurfs

HI all, I've got a newbie question so I figured this was the place to post it.

Background: Sniper - my first toon that is 50+

I bought orange adaptive armor and filled it with (mostly) level 58 purple mods from the Makeb vendor on the imperial fleet. I've got my HP up to about 19k with these mods at lvl 53. All my implants, etc. are still greens though :(

Is this enough to start doing instances with groups?

I ask because it's still challenging for me to do regular quests at times (I'm not the most skillful player).

Thanks in advance!

I bought orange adaptive armor and filled it with (mostly) level 58 purple mods from the Makeb vendor on the imperial fleet. I've got my HP up to about 19k with these mods at lvl 53. All my implants, etc. are still greens though :(

Is this enough to start doing instances with groups?

I ask because it's still challenging for me to do regular quests at times (I'm not the most skillful player).

A couple of responses to this:

1. It kind of depends on what kind of 'greens' your implants, etc. are. If they're level 53s (which should be commisserate with your current level), then it's not as big a deal than if you're still running around with Level 37 Green implants.
  2. If it's challenging for you to do regular quests, it may not necessarily be entirely the fault of your skill level: your companion may not be geared well enough -OR- you're not working synergistically with them.

If your gear is Level 53 Greens, you may want to consider buying upgrades to Blues or even Purples. Sometimes being overgeared for content can help compensate for lesser skills, if you think that's the cause of your difficulty doing solo content.

But also, FWIW, although really skilled people can get away with being undergeared, there are some gear snobs in the game that could look at your greens and decide to votekick you out of group content without even finding out how good a player you are. That's a risk you'll run if you decide to stick with the greens.

But otherwise--doing group content is sometimes the best way to improve as a player, so I say god speed, sir.

Edited by AlixMV

My suggestion would be to buy some level 50-53 blue implants, earpieces, and relics off the GTN. And make sure all your gear is Makeb purple moded... If you don't have enough planetary comms, do the daily heroics on Dromund Kaas and Balmorra for a day or so. Once you have that, you will be geared enough for level 50 HM flashpoints.

After that if you are still having problems with Makeb solo, do the same for your companion. Having a geared companion can help a lot.

edit:

And make sure to buy a blue (or purple if you can afford it) level 53 barrel off the GTN. That alone should be a big help if you haven't already done it.

Also if you aren't that familiar with the game mechanics and aren't sure what your stat priority should be, I'd read through this:

http://dulfy.net/2014/01/10/swtor-sniper-dps-class-guide/

It's written for level 55 players in end game content. But it should give you a good idea of what gear you need to upgrade next and what stats you should be picking.

Edited by altaboy

My suggestion would be to buy some level 50-53 blue implants, earpieces, and relics off the GTN.

/snip

edit:

And make sure to buy a blue (or purple if you can afford it) level 53 barrel off the GTN. That alone should be a big help if you haven't already done it.

Buying off the GTN with a first character that can be rough though.

You can start doing flashpoints as low as 9 or 10 with Eseless/Black Talon. That is the time to start, working up to Hammerstation, Cademimu, etc., and learning what to do to be a member of a team... but all is NOT lost! lol Just jump in and try to do your best, it is YOUR game too. Queue for regular flashpoints and then hard mode flashpoints as soon as you get the gear that the regular FP's give you. Nuff said, get in and DO it!

Another thing you might consider is to try a few dailies:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7126235#post7126235

See the section on "Daily Runs."

It's written for lvl 55 PvP players, but I see a number of players at 50+ on Section X and Black Hole pretty consistently. Those two are both fairly easy, make a decent chunk of money quckly, and should give you plenty of opportunity to practice. I don't know what the XP bonuses are like, as I didn't start them until 55, but I do recall not liking Makeb one bit.

Not sure if these might be easier for you.

Back when the game first was out, you got to 50 and you had to do the Hardmode flashpoints in less than 126 rating gear (Tionese was earned through doing flashpoints). Those Makeb mods you have are 140 rating (same as Rakata which was from operations and took a long time to earn).

Essentially you are doing the same lvl 50 HM's but going into them in Rakata. Everyone who hits 50 now can be overgeared straight away for 50HM, and if you're lucky and get set with a lvl 55 in their Ultimate-comms gear from group finder and trivialise the enitre fflashpoint.

PS. Tionese/Columi/Rakata is now longer obtainable I'm just being old fashioned - if 2 years counts as such :rolleyes:

Edited by Cotlu-Hunlon

Missions and trash mobs in Makeb can seem significantly hard. As Cotlu-Hunlon mentions, level 50 FPs were balanced for much lower level gear that you use now, so you should be fine. They are a nice alternative for leveling, particularly if you remember to pick up the daily and weekly missions.

There are no new level 50-54 FPs in RotHC, so until you reach 55 you will be queuing for level 50 FPs. Even story modes offer rewards marginally better than the level 50 Makeb mods, IIRC, and HMs will be a nice upgrade.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.