Is there a rotation on warzone queues or something?

Senden

Has there ever been any info released on how the warzone queue chooses which warzone you go in? Such as a certain one taking preference? I'm currently doing warzones and dailies to help me grind a few levels on about three different characters so I can skip Belsavis and tbh, it seems that 3/4 supposedly random warzones I'm in is either Novare Coast or the Hypergate one. Been trying today to actually get in a different one for a change 9/12 Warzone queues (I've counted) has been Novare Coast. Surely that can't just be a random coincidence? Edited by Senden

9/12 times having the same Warzone is just too high for it to be random.

That's not enough of a sample size to identify a pattern. Human beings seek out patterns, even where they do not exist. It is part of our makeup. The devs have stated that it's random and noted that their metrics bear out that statement.

I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but the post is in the PvP forum.

Edited by Master-Nala

9/12 times having the same Warzone is just too high for it to be random.

You just have to remember, if you've flipped a penny 20 times, and gotten 20 heads, there's still a 50% chance that the next time you flip it you'll get heads. "Random", doesn't mean evenly distributed necessarily.

That said, I think it'd be nice if they actually did change their algorithm to try to distribute more. Because a lot of people (myself included) have noticed the same thing as you... runs of the same WZ over and over. But, personally, I'll get runs of different ones each night - NC one night, HB the next, AHG later on, etc. So, yeah, in the long, LONG run, we probably get a "random distribution".

no its assigned in blocks, but the blocks are random. I think it might be a block size of 100, then it randomly picks another block. The block size is all server's too, once its expired, it grabs another. it is not random 1 by 1.

So are you saying it does a match type 100 times total in a row from all servers before it switches to a new map/mode? Meaning you could get it a lot in a row depending on how often the queues are popping across the servers?

It also needs to be said that human beings have a horrible time calculating probability. In this case, you get a warzone and you figure you have that much better chance of getting a different warzone the next time. However, that's not true; random means random every single time. The previous warzone has the same chances of being generated as it did before.

It also needs to be said that human beings have a horrible time calculating probability. In this case, you get a warzone and you figure you have that much better chance of getting a different warzone the next time. However, that's not true; random means random every single time. The previous warzone has the same chances of being generated as it did before.

Yeah, well you have a better shot at getting a Warzone you like if you quit and requeue - then if you stay in one you dont like ;)

You just have to remember, if you've flipped a penny 20 times, and gotten 20 heads, there's still a 50% chance that the next time you flip it you'll get heads. "Random", doesn't mean evenly distributed necessarily.

That's true. But you're disregarding the likelihood of getting 20 heads in a row in the first place. 1 / 1,048,576 chance of 20 flips of the coin resulting in 20 heads or 0.00009% chance.

I did a distribution of the warzones I've gotten over the past 2 weeks:

Ancient Hypergates: 32 times (25%)

Civil War: 18 times (18%)

Huttball: 12 times (9%)

Novare Coast: 12 times (9%)

Voidstar: 28 times (22%)

Arenas: 22 times (17%)

* One thing I did NOT check was, how many times I was filling in for a warzone that already started. Perhaps people quit Hypergates and Voidstar more frequently than other warzones. They're certainly my least favorite warzones, so I'd understand. That said, I do feel like when I was backfilling in, it was typically Civil War and sometimes Hypergates.

On Jan 17, here's an instance of every 55 warzone being Hypergates (granted, it does look like there could have been a lot of pub v pub going on):

http://i.imgur.com/Ghnqklv.png

http://i.imgur.com/3WyOeu3.png

http://i.imgur.com/zALpJ1p.png

Edited by gocard

The rotation is Arena- AHG-AHG-AHG-AHG-Arena-Arena-AHG-AHG-AHG......rinse and repeat.

You know, to make the experience as miserable as possible. I'm usually closing down the game around the second AHG.

The previous post suggests that my two favorite warzones, HB and Novare, have the lowest weightings. This correlates with my own findings.

Edited by MidichIorian

I just had 3 huttballs in a row for a second night in a row. I was so mad I went to drop my subscription only to discover I'm currently using a gift card thingy :/

I know it's supposed to be random but getting 3 of the same map in a row when there is a pool of 9 maps is both highly improbable and highly annoying. Happens often.

I just had 3 huttballs in a row for a second night in a row. I was so mad I went to drop my subscription only to discover I'm currently using a gift card thingy :/

I know it's supposed to be random but getting 3 of the same map in a row when there is a pool of 9 maps is both highly improbable and highly annoying. Happens often.

You should be lucky. I haven't had 2 Huttballs in a row in ages. It's mostly crappy Arenas or Hypergate. The most run is 17 in a row.

I normally find, whatever the first map is, will determine your run and I am certain you are placed in a holding pool to go back to the previous map, in a BioBotchJob attempt to keep Q times lower.

But much like having X-server Qs, changing how PvP Qs work will never happen. They will only make serious changes when a new feature - like GSF bombs so they actually allow the player to Q for both at the same time (2.6)

That's true. But you're disregarding the likelihood of getting 20 heads in a row in the first place. 1 / 1,048,576 chance of 20 flips of the coin resulting in 20 heads or 0.00009% chance.

while this is true, this also applies to any other unique combination. They are all equally unlikely.

a bit more on topic.

we might all have a perception problem, but too me it seems unevenly distributed as well. You sometimes see multible AHG running at the same time and no other map. And wzs tend to stack up at least in short queuing intervals.

If the population wasnt that low, i would actually want the WZ queue to be like the groupfinder queue for OPs and FPs. You pick your roll and can untick the WZs you don't wanna have included. But yeah the game is probably too dead for that now.

while this is true, this also applies to any other unique combination. They are all equally unlikely.

Not quite. It's true that every ordered scenario is equally unlikely, meaning the odds of flipping heads on 20 flips of the coin is equal to the odds of flipping heads on 20 flips of the coin except the last flip. However, when you're talking about probability of resulting distribution, you don't care about order. And thus, the probability of flipping 19 heads and 1 tails is greater than the odds of flipping 20 heads.

If you think about it, there are 20 different ways to end up with 19 heads and 1 tails. You could flip tails on the first flip, and the rest heads. You could flip tails on the second flip, and the rest heads, and so on, as you iterate down to the 20th flip. There's only one way to flip 20 heads in 20 flips.

So here's how you figure out the probability of flipping k heads out of n flips where order doesn't matter:

"n choose k" = the number of possible ways to flip k heads from n flips

2^n = the number of distinct possible outcomes from n flips.

So the probability is: "n choose k" / 2^n

"n choose k" = n! / k!(n-k)!

resulting in:

(n! / k!(n-k)!) / 2^n

where k = number of heads flipped and n = number of flips

Edited by gocard

So here's how you figure out the probability of flipping k heads out of n flips where order doesn't matter:

"n choose k" = the number of possible ways to flip k heads from n flips

2^n = the number of distinct possible outcomes from n flips.

So the probability is: "n choose k" / 2^n

"n choose k" = n! / k!(n-k)!

resulting in:

(n! / k!(n-k)!) / 2^n

where k = number of heads flipped and n = number of flips

The Math is strong in this one.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.