5/18/23 DPS Help

adrunktick

So Ive compared my parses to the top dps hybrid parses, all my moves are hitting the same if not harder, except for orbital strike, because Im using 4 set pve, which is about ~40-50k extra damage. And all top snipers have kell dragon SA and I dont, so I think that might be my difference. Hoping all snipers have to re-parse come 2.6. And all those old parses get taken down.

From looking at your opening, i think you could really improve on that. You're using target acquired in your opening but the amount of energy it gives isn't enough to make up for the amount of energy used in the opening which forces you to burn adrenaline probe at a not so ideal time. I replaced target acquired in my beginning rotation with adrenaline probe and i started to not have any energy problems, and i could always use target acquired or adrenaline probe with orbital strike.

My opening goes OS-AB-IP-CG-adrenal-EP-CD-AP-Cull-SoS-Lazed snipe-RS-cull and then into the normal rotation and i've been having very good results. I only use snipe if I have laze target up, if not i use ambush. What took me the longest to get was when to optimally use my cooldowns and not run out of energy. When i use OS and AP together, i have enough energy to use a SoS and followed by cull. You have most of the rotation down, you just need to keep enough energy while still maintaining the rotation.

http://www.torparse.com/a/563720/time/1390530893/1390531168/0/Damage+Dealt

This has been my best so far, but my gear isn't wear i would like it to be, still rocking that 72 mainhand and **** enhancements. I use a lot more crit than most, but I like the results and it helps with energy.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/64f0f0b9-ecf2-40a5-91ff-1b02b1505120

Edited by shyroman

What really stands out to me is that you're not using Ambush enough and you use Rifle Shot too much. Your parse is 20s longer than mine but comparing some activations:

Ambush: Your 2 to my 5.

Rifle Shot: Your 32 to my 19.

You just need to refine your filler and optimize your opener because it's a bit iffy at the moment. You're using Rifle Shot too often and delaying your first Cull, then missing out on the best time to throw out a Laze Target Snipe. I usually go:

Orbital Strike -> Ambush -> Interrogation Probe -> Explosive Probe -> (Adrenaline Probe + Adrenal) -> Corrosive Grenade -> Corrosive Dart -> Cull -> Series of Shots -> (Laze Target) Snipe -> Rifle Shot -> Cull -> Interrogation Probe -> Rifle Shot -> Corrosive Grenade -> Corrosive Dart -> Cull -> Series of Shots -> Ambush -> Cull -> Interrogation Probe -> Explosive Probe -> (Target Acquired) -> Corrosive Dart -> Corrosive Grenade -> etc

That frees you up to use Ambush 3 times in the first 45s or so of the fight alone, more than you used it in the entire fight. It seems a bit counter-intuitive to delay Target Acquired for so long, but you're only going to be able to use it 3 times in the fight regardless. Throwing it out alongside your 2nd explosive probe gives you that extra ambush and you're not going to have any trouble with energy.

I expect the dummy to be at least 90-89% after the first 2 x Cull sequence, as a rough guide. Tidying up the opener should help a little bit, not sure about the rest of it.

As for 2.6 you can guarantee any Sniper/Gunslinger who is serious about their DPS output is going to be camping the dummy to figure out the best way to optimize DPS with the orbital nerf.

Edited by SamuelAU

http://www.torparse.com/a/552454/time/1389633072/1389633333/0/Damage+Dealt

Your 3.6k parse has less DoT uptime than the parse I linked, which is 17s shorter still... another area to tidy up.

It was Interrogation Probe that falls off. So when I do EP, IP, CG, CD. Cull, SOS, Ambush, Cull....IP has already come off cooldown. How am I supposed to keep it up at all times, while getting cull off without delaying it?

And all my Dots hit harder than yours, so I dont know why the uptime was bad, I thought I was okay, all 3 of my dots did more damage. Its the Freighter/Orbital is where Im losing the 30-50k damage from everyone else. And it seemed like your cull/wounding shot was hitting for 100 more damage on average, but that's just offhand damage I would believe. Because Gunslingers have that edge

Ok so under 30%. When you have cull, SOS, Takedown, Lazed Snipe and Orbital all on cooldown, whats ur priority, because I guess I get a little lost there.

Hmm let me try give this a go

I would keep Cull on cooldown first, then cast Orbital Strike, followed by rifle shot and then Cull again. What do you guys think?

2.5 Orbital should/still does more damage than SoS + Takedown or SoS + Lazed Snipe right?

Edited by paowee

I really wish I could take a video and someone tell me what Im doing wrong, but I suppose I cant really read when people are re-applying their dots, because when I look at combat logs, my head starts to spin. But I take a big dive in dps, when I go to reapply all 4 dots. Is there a different way to do it, because I also seem to run into energy problems, trying to apply explosive probe and corrosive dart at the same tame, and then culling without a means of energy restoration = parse over.

It was Interrogation Probe that falls off. So when I do EP, IP, CG, CD. Cull, SOS, Ambush, Cull....IP has already come off cooldown. How am I supposed to keep it up at all times, while getting cull off without delaying it?

Your parse is low than Sam's because you still don't have your priority list. I'm on my phone so I can't be bothered to copy paste your torparse log, but if you go through it, you will find that you did this sequence at least once:

"... > Cull (dots fade) > IP > EP > SoS > Cull (only IP up) > IP (clipped massively) > CG (again bad idea because you need that 1 GCD spacer in between IP and CG in order to keep your energy acceptable as well as maintaining for application timing) > CD > Cull > ..."

Essentially that is a fairly major no no when it comes to hybrid. You clip dots, you use filler abilities over high priority abilities.

KBN posted a fairly comprehensive guide, google "keyboardninja hybrid guide to life" and everything will be ok. Read up on the fairly structured rotation and your priority list for each situation and things will come up good :)

****************** EDIT ******************

After perusing through most of your combat log, I can definitely say that it is your DoT management and Cull usage that is definitely messing you up. You rarely get a timely triple dot Cull sequence off because you are interrupting the application of your dots in order to get an EP out or delaying your Cull because you are chain casting your dots without a filler RS between IP and CG and then having to RS before your Cull in order to not dip into medium regen. At the end of the day, Cull's CD is short enough for you to get 2 full Culls off before your dots need to be reapplied.

Another thing that probably should be mentioned (It's not huge but it's still something that makes a slight bit of difference mainly when you are trying to burst in PVE) is that you should be activating Laze Target as soon as you know that you will be using Snipe as your filler after SoS. This means that if you have just finished a Cull sequence where you have used OS and you have either used EP or are going to use it before you hit your first Cull, then hit Laze Target there and then, the buff lasts for 20 seconds. This won't make a huge amount of difference because non-crit Ambush usually hits for about the same as a crit Snipe, but the cast time of Snipe allows you to have a RS filler before your next Cull without delaying it at all, whereas Ambush will force you to have about a 1.3s period to use an ability which isn't a full GCD, meaning that you will delay your Cull by about .1s on average every ~18s.

Edited by Afieri

I really wish I could take a video and someone tell me what Im doing wrong, but I suppose I cant really read when people are re-applying their dots, because when I look at combat logs, my head starts to spin. But I take a big dive in dps, when I go to reapply all 4 dots. Is there a different way to do it, because I also seem to run into energy problems, trying to apply explosive probe and corrosive dart at the same tame, and then culling without a means of energy restoration = parse over.

The main thing you need to be 100% spot on with is your dot application and cull usage. Dot application is a strict IP > GCD > CG > CD > Cull > SoS > GCD 1 > GCD 2 > Cull > Dot Application. That is the backbone of your rotation. Getting your dots out on cooldown and hitting Cull on Cooldown is absolutely vital to your rotation. Once you get that mastered you move onto getting EP used on cooldown, then you move onto getting your filler abilities like OS and Lazed Snipe on cooldown without running out of energy.

Hmm let me try give this a go

I would keep Cull on cooldown first, then cast Orbital Strike, followed by rifle shot and then Cull again. What do you guys think?

2.5 Orbital should/still does more damage than SoS + Takedown or SoS + Lazed Snipe right?

Priority list doesn't really change sub 30%. TD where applicable, mainly replacing any Snipes you might use, but essentially it's just a moderately expensive, instant, high damage filler. Going out of your way to use it and delaying Cull at all is just going to end badly. 2.6 will see TD being used more often because of the 4 piece PVE set bonus.

Wasn't he referring to Hybrid spec?

Cull - orbital - td - cull (if u have energy cds) should be more dps than

cull - sos - td - cull

he said if cull, sos , td , orbital, lazed snipe are available which abilities should he use first

Edited by paowee

Wasn't he referring to Hybrid spec?

Cull - orbital - td - cull (if u have energy cds) should be more dps than

cull - sos - td - cull

he said if cull, sos , td , orbital, lazed snipe are available which abilities should he use first

I was referring to hybrid, pve 4 piece might change but if it doesn't and that's what snipers use for pve, then TD becomes only slight energy negative meaning you can use it to replace slightly unnecessary RS as well as snipes. As for what he is asking above, we have both answered similarly, you posted a semi questionable list and I was agreeing with you that it was correct :) OS > TD > LS would be the best if you have an energy CD up.

I was referring to hybrid, pve 4 piece might change but if it doesn't and that's what snipers use for pve, then TD becomes only slight energy negative meaning you can use it to replace slightly unnecessary RS as well as snipes. As for what he is asking above, we have both answered similarly, you posted a semi questionable list and I was agreeing with you that it was correct :) OS > TD > LS would be the best if you have an energy CD up.

>_<; oh ok i was wondering :)

What Afieri said. Your DoT application doesn't change at all ever; never delay your DoTs, never delay your cull.

P..S. About takedown: Currently with 2-pc PvP you only use TD three or four times <30% (on 1 mil dummy) when energy is good or you have AP coming up and can afford to drop your energy a bit. In 2.6 with 4-pc PvE you can replace Rifle Shot with Takedown and you can still sustain your energy because it's so cheap.

Edited by SamuelAU

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.