Lingering Toxins pointless for PvE?

Daezihang

Because it seems to me that I would never see the benefit of this talent-- as surely any good rotation would require the re-application of the main DoTs as they fall off, no? Hence the after effect of this ability would never be seen.

Or is it the case that even if the DoTs are replaced that extra weaker DoT appears also?

I recall there's some sort of dumb bug with them not overwriting but that aside.

1. What else are you going to get in their place? No seriously, there's not much worth having.

2. 15% dot resistance is a non-negligable boost for the sake of your healers.

3. Gives you some wiggle room in your rotation, **** ups are less painful if your cull still goes off without a hitch if you mess up reapplication.

4. Effectively adds 6(?) seconds to the duration of your dots for the purposes of double dotting for energy.

Because of the nature of adds in this game, Lingering Toxins is always worth it in PvE because you dot up the room. You won't always be able to re-apply the dots on multiple mobs the way you would like and therefore it is a dps loss not to have it.

Because of the nature of adds in this game, Lingering Toxins is always worth it in PvE because you dot up the room. You won't always be able to re-apply the dots on multiple mobs the way you would like and therefore it is a dps loss not to have it.

Depends on how often you hit the reapplication bug. I almost always reapply my dots exactly as they fall off, which means that I'll see the reapplication bug over a dozen times in an average boss fight. I do like that I can just use Cull in those rare situations where I end up with two TA and my DoTs dropping, but I find that I parse a lot higher without it.

Depends on how often you hit the reapplication bug. I almost always reapply my dots exactly as they fall off, which means that I'll see the reapplication bug over a dozen times in an average boss fight. I do like that I can just use Cull in those rare situations where I end up with two TA and my DoTs dropping, but I find that I parse a lot higher without it.

Reapplying corrosive grenade as it is falling off is a slight mistake. The initial hit on the final tick BEFORE the fall-off will gain you a slight amount of dps. Also, im not talking about single target dps in regards to LT. I'm talking about on fights like Bestia or DM or Brontes where there are sustained adds.

On single target fights like Nefra or Tyrans, if I notice my dart is about to fall off (because Dart is the real culprit) and I know I'll get the bug if I reapply (I can willingly do it 100% of the time) I will use a GCD like Overload Shot or another Cull if I have it like you said and then reapply.

There's no reason to not take the point as there is nothing comparable to put that point in.

I just wish they would fix this bug already. The irony is they probably will fix it right in time for most operatives to go Concealment.

Edited by Transmet

various reasons, first the 15% less dmg taken from dots.

second multiple dots application will give you slightly increase dps when they fall off

third the Dot "bug" is easily avoidable, as CG is never used once it drops off (its a dps lost in most rotations delaying other stuff) and Cdart used correctly on boss fights basically never happens, on dummy it DOES happens a lot, on boss fights just require the right timing.

fourth and most important, you have to use it in your advantage, boss fights are not dummy fights, therefor what is an ideal rotation is not an ideal rotation for every aspect of a boss fight, for example, Brontes P2, you trying to push brontes before 3rd kephess, lets think your group dps is too low and you really need to push him, you have 2 TA and dots have 1 sec to fall off, boss at 52%, what do you do? reapply dots?, nop, you just use those two culls + shiv + cull to burn the last 2% as the dot reapplication would have been useless... same with fingers on p3, and many other fights, during burst / killing blows you can gain a lot of advantage from this extra 9 seconds of cull dmg boost.

The other major advantage is the longer your dots crit without needing reapplication on adds in a boss fight the more energy you will get back from your dots critting and returning 2 energy each. Its always worth burning a GCD on a boss fight and tossing out a CG on a group of adds. Its basically free dps and energy at the cost of 1 GCD.

Add in the lingering toxins on a fight like Grob'thok if you toss CG on the 3 adds that come out the extra 9 seconds of CG is 4 ticks per add, @ a totla of 12 ticks (if theyre even alive that long) @~30% crit you can expect about 4 crits @ 2 energy back each. In this instance its a free 8 energy, and some extra dps for a point in the tree that im not sure where I would put it if it werent in its spot.

Because it seems to me that I would never see the benefit of this talent-- as surely any good rotation would require the re-application of the main DoTs as they fall off, no? Hence the after effect of this ability would never be seen.

Or is it the case that even if the DoTs are replaced that extra weaker DoT appears also?

As others have mentioned (albeit almost in passing) the real reason for taking Lingering Toxins is so that your Cull does full damage even if you don't reapply your DoTs. Cull doesn't care whether the poison in effect is the full version or the weaker LT version: it's a poison, so Cull will deal the additional damage.

The other major advantage is the longer your dots crit without needing reapplication on adds in a boss fight the more energy you will get back from your dots critting and returning 2 energy each. Its always worth burning a GCD on a boss fight and tossing out a CG on a group of adds. Its basically free dps and energy at the cost of 1 GCD.

Add in the lingering toxins on a fight like Grob'thok if you toss CG on the 3 adds that come out the extra 9 seconds of CG is 4 ticks per add, @ a totla of 12 ticks (if theyre even alive that long) @~30% crit you can expect about 4 crits @ 2 energy back each. In this instance its a free 8 energy, and some extra dps for a point in the tree that im not sure where I would put it if it werent in its spot.

mmmhm this ^

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.