SWTOR Operating on Windows 8

BCoventry

I'm hoping to find others who have had or are having the same issue i am with playing the game and launching/closing the game. Launching and closing the game does not come smoothly, in fact takes minutes to open and close. And also game play is full of lag spikes, but other than the occasional lag spike game play is smooth as silk. If anyone has any tips or any sort of work around let me know it would be much appreciated :D!

(I have tried lowering my screen resolution, and my graphics are performing at very low quality.)

(System: Windows 8.1, 64-bit, 4GB Memory, w/ a 1TB Hard Drive, Intel Pentium Processor)

I'm hoping to find others who have had or are having the same issue i am with playing the game and launching/closing the game. Launching and closing the game does not come smoothly, in fact takes minutes to open and close. And also game play is full of lag spikes, but other than the occasional lag spike game play is smooth as silk. If anyone has any tips or any sort of work around let me know it would be much appreciated :D!

(I have tried lowering my screen resolution, and my graphics are performing at very low quality.)

(System: Windows 8.1, 64-bit, 4GB Memory, w/ a 1TB Hard Drive, Intel Pentium Processor)

Early on, I had issues with magnetic hard drives - loading speed issues mostly - nothing with frame rates or playbility. I've not had these since I migrated to SSDs. So your 1TB drive (likely not an SSD) could be a factor there.

I do play on a Win 8 laptop when I'm on the road and the only issue I have is with CTDs whenever I hit preferences (or printscreen). No issues at all with launching or closing. So I don't suspect that Win8 is directly a factor here.

I also noticed you said you use a "pentium." That's a fairly old processor by gaming standards which have moved on to multi-core processors (I believe pentium topped out at dual core, but could be wrong about that). Also, what's your GPU? Integrated? Dedicated? That's another major factor. This game is hard on even high-end machines (though much improved of late).

Your 4gb RAM is decent, but again on the low-end for gaming. 8gb is surely plenty and many are using 16, 24 (obviously with diminishing returns).

Anyway, you are far from running "optimized" specs. That said, I've gotten this game to run (with lowest settings) on a MBP running Parallels (win8 also) and have gotten FPS in 30-40s - but even there, it's an SSD with dedicated card. And there, I still don't have the loading/closing issues you describe. So, I don't want to make this a "go upgrade your machine" response but I can tell you that I don't think Win8, itself, is an issue here.

Updating the drivers would also be found in control panel? Still getting used to the whole windows setup.

It would be under Device Manager. However, you may not get the most up-to-date version.

It is much better to go on AMD's or NVidia's websites and download the latest version. If you do not know graphics card you have, search for "DxDiag" and run that or download "Speccy" and run that.

The problem might be the old Pentium processor. According to the game manual, the minimum requirements are an Intel Duo 2 processor with a 2.0 GHz speed.

http://www.swtor.com/gamemanual/getting-started/entering-the-old-republic

Edited by Bstr

It would be under Device Manager. However, you may not get the most up-to-date version.

It is much better to go on AMD's or NVidia's websites and download the latest version. If you do not know graphics card you have, search for "DxDiag" and run that or download "Speccy" and run that.

The problem might be the old Pentium processor. According to the game manual, the minimum requirements are an Intel Duo 2 processor with a 2.0 GHz speed.

http://www.swtor.com/gamemanual/getting-started/entering-the-old-republic

I understand the processor is outdated, even if it's running at 2.60 GHz

Early on, I had issues with magnetic hard drives - loading speed issues mostly - nothing with frame rates or playbility. I've not had these since I migrated to SSDs. So your 1TB drive (likely not an SSD) could be a factor there.

I do play on a Win 8 laptop when I'm on the road and the only issue I have is with CTDs whenever I hit preferences (or printscreen). No issues at all with launching or closing. So I don't suspect that Win8 is directly a factor here.

I also noticed you said you use a "pentium." That's a fairly old processor by gaming standards which have moved on to multi-core processors (I believe pentium topped out at dual core, but could be wrong about that). Also, what's your GPU? Integrated? Dedicated? That's another major factor. This game is hard on even high-end machines (though much improved of late).

Your 4gb RAM is decent, but again on the low-end for gaming. 8gb is surely plenty and many are using 16, 24 (obviously with diminishing returns).

Anyway, you are far from running "optimized" specs. That said, I've gotten this game to run (with lowest settings) on a MBP running Parallels (win8 also) and have gotten FPS in 30-40s - but even there, it's an SSD with dedicated card. And there, I still don't have the loading/closing issues you describe. So, I don't want to make this a "go upgrade your machine" response but I can tell you that I don't think Win8, itself, is an issue here.

GPU is a Intel® HD Graphics, integrated. And i'm thinking my processor my be the main cause to this even though it's working at 2.6 GHz rate?

GPU is a Intel® HD Graphics, integrated. And i'm thinking my processor my be the main cause to this even though it's working at 2.6 GHz rate?

Yes, I'm afraid so. In these tough times, I'm loathe to tell anyone to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading an otherwise perfectly usable computer for gaming. But I think you've hit a bottleneck with your current setup. So if you're okay with the slow loads and occasional lags, then I'd say just grit it out since you have large periods of smooth play with that setup.

But if gaming, or this game specifically, is of major importance and the load times are ruining your enjoyment of the game you should consider upgrading. For a couple hundred dollars, you can a decent desktop that will run this game much smoother, or for a bit more a laptop (which are generally overpriced).

I think the problem lies in the integrated graphics card. Don't think the CPU is the problem, but I haven't worked on computers for a while.

Either upgrade the graphics card or just tone down the graphics in game.

Edited by Sadishist

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.