Best tank for 55 HM(FP)

XAtrophi

So i know that flashpoint tanking is easy and all 3 classes can handle it but i have all 3 sitting at 50 still and want to pick 1 to gear up and take to 55. i probably wont do anything more then SM OPs as this character so thats really a non-issue for me atm.

Assuming equal gear (verpine armoring/mods with bastion/bulwark enhancements) i have lying around , i want the class that can handle random groups the best since you wont always have quality dps or heals. I was thinking PT since as a healer i never seem to have issue healing them even the poorly geared ones.

my juggernaut is the most geared however currently in fully aug'd DG gear but from my experience it seems like hit and miss healing them( there is alot of bad ones but that seems more like a skill issue i guess?)

Dont have much flashpoint experience with assassins .

Sooooo pretty much which would have the smoothest damage profile in flashpoints, threat shouldnt be an issue since i can tank as a marauder ive learned all the little tricks for pulling to group things nice and tight but PuGs generally dont like 3 dpsing things .

I would go for the Guardian / Jugg Tank lol :p

However to be honest I would pick whichever one you like playing the most (I know I'm not exactly helping lol) :)

Personally I think all three types of tanks would be more than adequate for HM FP's and SM OP's and it really comes down to which one you like the 'feel' of the most :)

Hehe maybe you might have to FP all of them to 55 :p and see which one you like the most to continue on with ;)

I would go for the Guardian / Jugg Tank lol :p

However to be honest I would pick whichever one you like playing the most (I know I'm not exactly helping lol) :)

Personally I think all three types of tanks would be more than adequate for HM FP's and SM OP's and it really comes down to which one you like the 'feel' of the most :)

Hehe maybe you might have to FP all of them to 55 :p and see which one you like the most to continue on with ;)

heh yeah, i might just have to do that, i don't really enjoy 1 more then the other that's the issue all 3 are pretty fun in their own way or at least they were pre-2.0.

Im mostly rolling a tank to help the queues and get gear for my companions, all my characters i play regularly are all geared. after posting this i started leveling my jugg and PT since i think it'll come down to those 2. Healing assassins is always hit and miss and im not confident in my skills yet to play something like that especially when i haven't touched it in 6 months~ .

Dont want to be one of those sin tanks that gets obliterated in under a second.

They all have some significant advantages, though I think Powertech and Assassin probably pull ahead. Both have higher DPS output than the Juggernaut, as well as substantially better AoE threat. Powertechs have an advantage in terms of damage profile when getting hit by multiple mobs (Assassins become very squishy when Dark Ward is gone), but Assassins have a significant advantage in terms of AoE threat. Stealth and the soft CC help a lot for skipping and cheesing. Also, the knockback is really nice in FPs, and something that Powertechs really can't match.

Frankly, it's a flashpoint: play the class you want to play! Try them out, see which one fits you the best. All three of the tanks are equally viable in end-game operations, so you don't have to worry about gimping yourself down the road.

Frankly, it's a flashpoint: play the class you want to play! Try them out, see which one fits you the best. All three of the tanks are equally viable in end-game operations, so you don't have to worry about gimping yourself down the road.

Yeah they all work but in a PuG environment is where im concerned, ive been im some groups where the healers just spam heal themselves while the tank dies. but i am going to try all 3 i think since i just cant decide. got my jugg to 55 and PT to 54 today will get sin to 55 tomorrow i think.

When 2.0 came out. I remember using a sin tank with a sorc healer was like trying to swim in malaise.

Yeah, I remember. I felt so darn squishy compared to before. When my guild went into HM S&V that first week, we were doing it with two Shadow tanks, a Sage and a Scoundrel healer, all in mostly 63 gear with a few crafted 66s. I was almost certain that there was no way to heal Titan VI with that combo. We downed it, but oh boy did it suck. :-)

Edited by KeyboardNinja

They all have some significant advantages, though I think Powertech and Assassin probably pull ahead. Both have higher DPS output than the Juggernaut, as well as substantially better AoE threat. Powertechs have an advantage in terms of damage profile when getting hit by multiple mobs (Assassins become very squishy when Dark Ward is gone), but Assassins have a significant advantage in terms of AoE threat. Stealth and the soft CC help a lot for skipping and cheesing. Also, the knockback is really nice in FPs, and something that Powertechs really can't match.

One point I will argue in favor of the Jugg tank for flashpoints is that you get to use Saber Reflect around every third pull, and if you remember which pulls its most useful on, you can trivialize almost every tough pull in a flashpoint.

Examples, the second pull in Hammer Station, about 3 or 4 different ones in Mando Raiders, the big pull after the elevator in Cademimu, the 6 Strong Droids before the first boss in Athiss, the huge groups of Flesh Raiders by the computer terminals before the last boss in Czerka Meltdown.

This is one of the main reasons I really wish they'd upgrade all the old 50 flashpoints to have 55 versions, there are so many pulls I'd like to do in those with Saber Reflect.

Edited by wadecounty

Not any more. Or at least, not to any greater extent than the other tanks.

perhaps its just been bad experiences then. Everytime I heal a 35k sin(and there are a lot), I end up having to do a burst heal rotation every trash pull even when in full dread forged. They just lose half health as they pull, get healed by a precasted heal and hots, then lose that health again. This repeats a couple more times until the weaker trash is dead. Other undergeared tanks need a lot of healing, but not nearly as much or as bursty.

Best? There is a worst, more specifically a most difficult to play properly, and that is the Juggernaut. By play properly I mean hold mob threat outside of AOE taunt+Saber reflect. For a Jug tank, you have to think a lot harder about how you are going to use your moves. Push this guy into the mob that is going to spawn here (Mando Raiders) Leap, enrage(need the rage to pull the combo, and you wont have time for the saber throw) smash, retaliation, crushing blow, finish em off. The same mob can be done by a sintank with stealth, force pull, wither, Discharge on the mob that spawns, lacerate, lacerate, wither, and done.

Jug has to set up their one AOE high threat attack, and pay attention to how it is executed as it can only be done every 15 seconds. Assassins can spam their AOE high threat attacks at 10m range. I think even Lacerate does more damage than Sweeping Slash.

All 3 tanks are equally viable in all content now I think, Jugs are just harder to play properly. Jug difficulty is in holding aggro, Assassin "difficulty" is in keeping up its mitigation rotation. Its threat generation is so braindead simple that your rotation and boss mechanics are all you need to worry about. I never leveled a vanguard tank (25 or something, cant level it further until the current semester is out) so I cant comment there, but I leveled an assassin, guardian, shadow, and juggernaut(in that order) all as tanks, and they all have 162+ gear at the moment

So go with whatever you like. I actually suggest Guardian/Juggernaut, because learning how to play them properly will teach you to be a better tank (I was a ****** tank until I leveled my Guardian).

Just an update, I got both my PT and jugg to 55 the other day. For some reason the PT seems like it takes more damage. my shadow is coming along but will be a few days before im able to test since i need to get some enhancements.

So far though im liking the jugg more mostly because saber reflect...oh how much fun that is.

PS: I think the issue for my PT is the gear though only at 18% defense( i know i know i should use the value but im at work and cant see it its like 690~) while 39% shield /37% abs, but that is something only time will fix need to get rid of 3 lettered mods still

I've been using the Dulfy guide regarding spec and gear aspirations, and I've been having a lot more fun now with my Huggernaut since I understand threat rotation much better. I took a seven month break from spring until about two weeks ago, and I think I'm a much better tank now than I was when I quit.

AoE threat is still a big issue for me though, as you really need saber reflect at the beginning of pulls full of ranged mobs, and it seems like a good 70%+ of the trash in flashpoints are ranged who like to stand far enough apart that sweeping slash and smash aren't affecting them.

Juggs gives the best hugs. FACT!

Just an update, I got both my PT and jugg to 55 the other day. For some reason the PT seems like it takes more damage. my shadow is coming along but will be a few days before im able to test since i need to get some enhancements.

So far though im liking the jugg more mostly because saber reflect...oh how much fun that is.

PS: I think the issue for my PT is the gear though only at 18% defense( i know i know i should use the value but im at work and cant see it its like 690~) while 39% shield /37% abs, but that is something only time will fix need to get rid of 3 lettered mods still

Protip - get the 4-piece set bonus (use classic comms if you have to), cause it gives a free +2% to defense. Its probably good enough to last up until verpine, if not Oriconian gear.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.