Rogue like class?

Viowithcrailtap

Hey Guys,

I started playing a few days ago and made a Sentinel which is ok but I find it a bit boring.

On WoW my main was a rogue and that's usually what I like to play but after reading thorough the classes and specialities I'm a bit confused about what to play.

My friend started a Consular Shadow which to me is like a healer/ rogue which I couldn't get my head around and then there's a smuggler scoundrel which apparently has stealth, combo point like moves but uses guns at a medium range.

Is there a class in the game which has melee dps with stuns, stealth and combo point based moves?

I tried a smuggler yesterday but the whole hiding behind cover thing and it wasn't fast paced enough.

My friend started a Consular Shadow which to me is like a healer/ rogue which I couldn't get my head around and then there's a smuggler scoundrel which apparently has stealth, combo point like moves but uses guns at a medium range.

Okay, the Councilor is the base class not the advanced class. Just like your Sentinel started out as a Knight and you had to choose between a Guardian and a Sentinel.

Councilors can choose between a Sage --ranged caster that can spec into a healer tree or two dps trees-- and a Shadow. Shadows are the one's to use stealth, they have one tanking tree and two dps trees. If you go with a Shadow, I'd recommend the middle tree --infiltration. The other dps tree is a dot spec and more of a 'warlock' midrange 10m caster with a mix of a few melee moves.

Smuggler is the same, it's a base class. You'd pick between a Gunslinger -- 3 ranged dps trees and utilize the cover mechanic-- or the Scoundrel advanced class. Scoundrels get the stealth and have one healing tree and 2 dps trees.

If you want my opinion --as someone who never played WoW-- you want the scoundrel advanced class and choose the middle tree (scrapper) from what you describe. Now it may seem clunky at first because you're still shooting them with a pistol and a shotgun but most of their moves you need to be in melee range to execute (4m).

If you're not dead set on the Republic side, I think you would like to roll the mirror class (Agent base class and go operative). Again middle tree dps (concealment) but what makes them more 'rougish' to me is the fact they use their vibro knife in place of the shotgun that the scoundrel uses. Both classes function exactly the same, so one isn't better than the other, but if you like stabbing with knives as a rouge I think you'd enjoy the operative.

Edited by Ridickilis

The Scoundrel is what comes closest to an Rogue. At least the Rogue class that I know from (A)D&D.

The Gunslinger goes into this direction as well, but he is rather an ranged character, apart from the "Dirty Fighting" close combat tree.

The Scoundrel is of both the only one who can heal.

Sadly Bioware never implemented Traps into SWTOR.

The Scoundrel is what comes closest to an Rogue. At least the Rogue class that I know from (A)D&D.

Hehe you too huh? I miss the extra D6 on sneak attacks as well. How far back do you go, do you remember THAC0?

Yeah DF (and lethality for operatives) is kinda like balance/madness for Shadows and Sins. Dot spec with mostly 10m ranged abilities with a few key melee moves. It still doesn't feel very rougish, more like a Warlock or Arcane Warrior type prestige class

Edited by Ridickilis

Scoundrel takes awhile to get good, you don't get your big out of stealth burst skill until 36 and another important skill (armor pen buff, big DoT) doesn't come until 36 points in Scrapper (min level 45). You won't get your main attack until level 20 (assuming you put points only in Scrapper to start, Sucker Punch is the skill)

I started a Smuggler last night and got him to lvl 10 which was fun. Bit weird having to take cover and be back a bit from the fight but the bleed shot and light grenade are fun. So far so good. One of my other friends just started a jedi and it's quite boring for him but he played an Imperial Agent before so wanted something different.

Hehe you too huh? I miss the extra D6 on sneak attacks as well. How far back do you go, do you remember THAC0?

Heh. THAC0 prompted Cecil Adams to describe D&D as "Here we have a game that combines the charm of a Pentagon briefing with the excitement of double-entry bookkeeping."

If you're looking for a rogue like class, concealment operative is the closest by far. While Assassins/shadows get stealth and have some good cc, operatives have knives and dots that are instant instead of cast. The problem with operative/scoundrel though is that it takes a long time to start feeling that way. It really doesn't start to shine until you get hidden strike which is sometime in late 30's I think and even then really scales as you get all your abilities.

My main was a rogue for several years. While leveling both an assassin and an operative, I could push out more dps with my assassin, but I never liked the mechanics as much as my concealment operative and concealment is getting a small buff with the next patch. Just my 2cents.

Edited by jdubbbz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.