Mach 5 Massacre - In-Depth Marauder Guide

Kibaken

A 100% increase in armor penetration is not the same as 100% armor penetration. Big big difference there.

Considering at this point in time there's no armor pen stat - only talents that increase armor penetration - it's assumed and definitely feels like it ignores 100% armor for the duration. Considering the buff is 6 seconds and the GCD is a flat 1.5 you really can't get that much off during it, so it's hardly overpowered.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post! Learned alot of useful things and it is always nice to hear anothers opinion on my favorite class.

My only critique is that you did not mention retaliation as part of a "rotation." What are your thought on that? Personally i think it requires more investigation and could be another CD to use while waiting for other CD's

Great post! Learned alot of useful things and it is always nice to hear anothers opinion on my favorite class.

My only critique is that you did not mention retaliation as part of a "rotation." What are your thought on that? Personally i think it requires more investigation and could be another CD to use while waiting for other CD's

Nice guide mate!

I love massacre spam, but had to switch to annihilation for hard modes recently. Now I'm struggling to find a spot for vicious slash on my hotbar again lol.

In response to retaliation, I found it a waste of rage that could be better spent on massacre and the animation slows down the rotation imo. Could be wrong haven't done the math on it.

Edited by AngryWeaponX

Thanks a lot man! I've been trying to figure out the Carnage tree so far, and this helps a lot especially on "rotation" and stats.

Mind you, unless I misread, you seem to forget that surge -> increases crit dmg, and we have an ability that should always crit, so wouldn't that raise it's vlue by quite a bit, especially as it multiplies the base damage, whereas power just adds on top of the base damage?

Thanks a lot man! I've been trying to figure out the Carnage tree so far, and this helps a lot especially on "rotation" and stats.

Mind you, unless I misread, you seem to forget that surge -> increases crit dmg, and we have an ability that should always crit, so wouldn't that raise it's vlue by quite a bit, especially as it multiplies the base damage, whereas power just adds on top of the base damage?

Increasing the base damage and increasing the multiplier do extremely similar things.

Surge is based around Crit - if you have a really high crit chance it's going to be amazing, however if you devalue Crit for whatever reason it's going to be lower. Because we have an insta-crit ability I devalue crit - if we increase our power enough it will do more/less the same thing as stacking Surge.

You sir are my hero! this is a great read!

Just to comment on your sig:

Have you never had a tea party underwater, floating at the bottom? Not swimming clearly breaks immersion!

/eyeroll

Edited by Kibaken

Just to comment on your sig:

Have you never had a tea party underwater, floating at the bottom? Not swimming clearly breaks immersion!

/eyeroll

Lol, indeed but it was a pretty contentious issue before the forum resets because...well I don't know really.

I really like your Annihilation read up and as someone coming from the IA Sniper It's nice to know that we're not that the only class that seems to be misunderstood a lot :D

Lol, indeed but it was a pretty contentious issue before the forum resets because...well I don't know really.

I really like your Annihilation read up and as someone coming from the IA Sniper It's nice to know that we're not that the only class that seems to be misunderstood a lot :D

Funnily enough my second character is a Sniper as well. I won't be writing any guides on it, but it's also one of those classes where you really need to understand the ins and outs of how it works for it to be successful. A guildie is on the verge of re-rolling to an Op and I'm having the time of my life. It's fun playing the red-headed step-child classes.

Also, wtb sticky :\

Just read your Annihilation spec guide and i'm pretty much 99% in line with what you wrote which is some nice confirmation that what were doing is likely right. I've had alot of good success with this build so far and its shaping up to be my main spec going forward (for PVE Content). (ive been building up to the final talents and skills with annihilation since 20ish now that i'm at 48 and almost done acquiring these abilities its good to know i won't have to respec unless things change drastically).

Nice guide man.

Curious, do you opportunistically use Pommel Strike and Savage Kick?

And if they fix ability delay how much of an effect do you think that would have on your theoretical rotation?

Right now I find myself Charging in -> Batterring assault-> Gore-> Rupture -> Force scream if Blood Frenzy -> Pommels trike (if stunned)-> Ravage-> Assault -> Crippling Slash -> Savage kick-> Force Scream.

Well I can't even say thats my exact rotation as It is rage dependant and I absolutely never clip force scream if I have blood frenzy.

But looking at Pommel Strike and Savage kick if you can satisfy their activation requirements they are actually pretty good damage.

Then again with ability delay being what it is it could be a dps loss to try to trigger these things.

Since Those 2 abilities are situational i would assume, Force Charge - Savage Kick (enemy 1) - Smash - Pommel Strike (enemy 2) for 2 of the weak/norm mobs then use regular rotation for elite/champion mobs.

This is at least what I do.

Both skills are non factors in PVP anyway so it doesn't matter there either. at 48, Pommel Strike and Savage kick can crit for around 3k with average gear so its a simple 1 shot on weak/norm mobs.

And why Malice instead of Defensive Roll?

It's currently theorized that bleed ticks are considered Force attacks for the purpose of Malice.

A full list of what is considered weapon/Force can be found in the first post. If you wish, I can provide a link to the thread where it is discussed.

And one other thing, Ferocity over Phantom, for PVE? or as an all purpose spec?

I would assume dropping aggro and maintaining 100% damage reduction for 4 seconds would be better than improved movement speed on a skill chances are your not using. Berserk is the Fury spender of choice for this spec is it not? Predation is less likely to be used, is it not?

And one other thing, Ferocity over Phantom, for PVE? or as an all purpose spec?

I would assume dropping aggro and maintaining 100% damage reduction for 4 seconds would be better than improved movement speed on a skill chances are your not using. Berserk is the Fury spender of choice for this spec is it not? Predation is less likely to be used, is it not?

I stated it in the guide as well, but for the record I do prefer Phantom over Ferocity for PvE.

Having Phantom for some reason was causing the URL to be censored. I just moved the points to include the link.

Both Phantom and Ferocity are filler. It comes down to a personal preference, however the spec was getting censored with Phantom in it.

It's currently theorized that bleed ticks are considered Force attacks for the purpose of Malice.

A full list of what is considered weapon/Force can be found in the first post. If you wish, I can provide a link to the thread where it is discussed.

I suppose if you have a great healing team and your on the ball about getting out of AOE situations the 6% crit chance can benefit long term over 30% damage reduction (to AOE).

I would guess those points are situational.

Having Phantom for some reason was causing the URL to be censored. I just moved the points to include the link.

Both Phantom and Ferocity are filler. It comes down to a personal preference, however the spec was getting censored with Phantom in it.

Pretty sure I misread that you preferred Ferocity to Phantom. My bad. Like i said before awesome guide.

I suppose if you have a great healing team and your on the ball about getting out of AOE situations the 6% crit chance can benefit long term over 30% damage reduction (to AOE).

I would guess those points are situational.

The spec/guide is more for PvE than PvP. I will eventually add PvP specs/tips.