allow same-faction GTN sales

anonnn

Suppose I want to take the concepts of the game environment seriously, and endeavor to help only my own faction. I should be able to sell items on the GTN only to Republic characters, and it needs to be made sure that there's no way for a republic character to transfer the purchased item to an Imperial character.

Suppose I want to take the concepts of the game environment seriously, and endeavor to help only my own faction. I should be able to sell items on the GTN only to Republic characters, and it needs to be made sure that there's no way for a republic character to transfer the purchased item to an Imperial character.

So you want to break the game just to maintain the illusion of two "factions" (as if most people don't have characters on both sides).

Terrible, terrible idea.

aside from the fact that I don't see how it could be implemented (even selling directly, rather than through gtn, doesn't guarantee that your item will stay on the same faction) as well as the fact that allowing cross faction sales was deliberate choice on bioware's part that makes sense story wise as well.

speaking of which - smugglers and mercs, who are nominally aligned with opposite factions? in reality don't particularly care who they sell to. I mean, individuals might, but as a whole? even story gives you options to sell your services to whomever. its not as prevalent with other stories, but on a basic level empire and republic may be at war, but regular people don't really care about politics as much. especially when survival is on a line and their planet keeps changing hands.

my only recommendation to you is sell only to people you can trust not to trade your items to opposite faction. in person, not through GTN.

and on out of character level - adding these restrictions in a game based on cross faction legacy? is counterproductive.

This type of "loyalty" to what is essentially virtual data stored on a server somewhere should have no influence over feature implementation decisions. What's next? Applying the "loyalty" factor to character creation as well?

Keep politics out of the economy. That is all that needs to be said on this subject.

They could always make the Fleet / Cap Planet / Ship GTNs faction-specific and have Nar-Shadda / Outlaws Den GTNs be cross-faction...

Nope.

If people want to roleplay and Bioware (who, I should point out originally had different GTNs for the two factions with the exception of Nar Shaddaa and then realized it was just stupid so they made the GTN neutral everywhere) agrees, please do it by giving us the option to NOT have to deal with that for the sake of the approximately 2-3 RPers who'd be interested in different GTNs.

What they should do, for those who want it, is have a drop down menu when selling items on the GTN that says:

Faction availability:

-Republic Only

-Imperial Only

-Everybody

Nothing should be done to stop people from trading it to the other faction after they buy it though.

They should also have faction logos next to each seller's name to denote what faction they play on. It would also be interesting to add in the functionality to tax players who buy across factions.. sorta like a shipping or customs fee.

Nope.

If people want to roleplay and Bioware (who, I should point out originally had different GTNs for the two factions with the exception of Nar Shaddaa and then realized it was just stupid so they made the GTN neutral everywhere) agrees, please do it by giving us the option to NOT have to deal with that for the sake of the approximately 2-3 RPers who'd be interested in different GTNs.

*sigh* I *know* what the GTN was originally like, and I kind of liked it like that. Not to show faction loyalty by not selling to the enemy (although I don't see why you discount RPers in an mmoRPg, but whatever), but because it makes the game universe feel "bigger" when you have to travel to different places to do different things.

But I do think the changes were better for the playability of the game, since I don't like playing the "journey of a thousand miles begins with a single loading screen" game :)

It used to be this way at launch.

But Republic class only gear could drop for Imperial characters and vice versa.

The Hutt GTNs were neutral, but rarely used. All the networks were linked after 1.2, when the ship-based GTN was released. It cost 5million credits, but was ultimately useless when linked to an neutral GTN no one used. Bioware linked them all after complaints.

They won't be unlinking them, and a faction-only GTN will never be used.

No.

There is a simple fix for your first issue, don't sell on the GTN. You aren't forced. LORE wise the GTN is run by the Hutt Cartel and you know going it they sell to anyone with credits. So if you have ethical problems with funding criminal activities (and after ROTHC, conquest) then stop using the system.

The second issue, not allowing people to transfer items once bought is ridiculous. Once you sell something, you gave up your ownership of it. It's no longer up to you to decide what happens to it. If you have a problem with that....wait for it. Don't sell on the GTN. Heck for this one, don't sell at all.

But the idea that they should waste development time creating faction locks on content is just too silly for words.