Powertech Viability

Ozlandu

Hello PT's. I've considered rolling a PT for sometime, and have flopped back and forth between classes like a bad habit. I think I've found my calling in tanking, but I'm average at best. Even so I know I will get better if I stick to it instead of re rolling. I've messed around with the Guard and Jugg and found them both to be rewarding in their own way, but pretty similiar. I recently ran a FP with a PT who was incredibly efficient and had great control of both the group and the aggro. I guess it just kinda put stars in my eyes and I wanted to get a feel of where the community stood regarding a PT's current viability.

I do like PvP, though it's not my focus currently. I'm more interested in PvE content, so my question is more or less directed at PvE. How does the PT hold up compared to other tanking classes? If you were to que for some end game content and saw a PT tank, would you think "Oh ****, this is going to suck." or "Oh great, I love PT's. This should be good." Have you ever seen a PT que as DPS? Is that viable?

I just wanna make sure I invest my time wisely. All thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Have you ever seen a PT que as DPS? Is that viable?

I used to - for 22 straight months since launch but I parked my dps PT and won't even consider raiding with him anymore.

You'll do fine until you hit NM content and DF/DP HM. Then no one will want you because you can't dps as well as a sniper or marauder. Depends how far you want to go.

Edited by DAMossimo

Ideally, if you have a choice I'd say be a Merc, I think they're the most versatile class in the game. Heavy armor, Burst spec with Arsenal, Sustained with Pyro, good array of AoE attacks in any spec, a great off heal that's an instant AoE on short CD, cleanse is always good, knockback, Hydraulic Overrrides, 1min CC usuable on bio or droid, and fully ranged to avoid lots of stupid boss proximity AoE. They also make great healers. Edited by Melon_Lord
adding more

Ideally, if you have a choice I'd say be a Merc, I think they're the most versatile class in the game. Heavy armor, Burst spec with Arsenal, Sustained with Pyro, good array of AoE attacks in any spec, a great off heal that's an instant AoE on short CD, cleanse is always good, knockback, Hydraulic Overrrides, 1min CC usuable on bio or droid, and fully ranged to avoid lots of stupid boss proximity AoE. They also make great healers.

What you said makes alot of sense. I also like the fact that the Merc could spec into healing for better FP ques. That might be the way I roll for my main since it's looking like my idea of using non traditional DPS classes out of character seems to be pretty unacceptable by most information I've found.

What's your opinion on the Merc's end game viability with PvE content and PvP content? Does the class balance out well or does it lean more towards one sort of playstyle vs another? Sorry I realize I shouldn't be asking Merc questions in the PT forum, but it's all Bounty Hunter so hopefully it's reasonable.

Edited by Ozlandu

i run commando (gun) as my main dps, and (mainish) merc on impside. Have gs, sent, and sniper on 55 (+mara on 42 or smth) too but just like freedom to be versatile... sure you cant hit the top of the leaderboard but who really gives a...... :D

Also vang is my main tank and AP-PT is just under testing on kaas and early pvp

i run commando (gun) as my main dps, and (mainish) merc on impside. Have gs, sent, and sniper on 55 (+mara on 42 or smth) too but just like freedom to be versatile... sure you cant hit the top of the leaderboard but who really gives a...... :D

Also vang is my main tank and AP-PT is just under testing on kaas and early pvp

I hear ya. My initial concern was in choosing a class that just gets eclipsed by another in end game content. I realize every class is viable if played well, but lets be honest; the majority of people in end game content work with numbers not theory. I don't have a guild nor a character anywhere near end game at this point so it's really not an issue for me in my current situation. But it will be, and I would like to think long term about it so as to maximize reward and make the most of my time. I'm not really interested in creating a bunch of alts, though I suspect I will just for the different stories. Ideally I would like one, maybe two main characters that can see me through all the advanced end game content then perhaps on to PvP.

Sounds like if I'm not going to tank, a flexible DPS/Healer is the way to go. Thank you for the feedback everyone, gonna go roll a Slinger and a Merc. But please feel free to add anything, all feedback is/has been appreciated. :)

Edited by Ozlandu

What's your opinion on the Merc's end game viability with PvE content and PvP content? Does the class balance out well or does it lean more towards one sort of playstyle vs another? Sorry I realize I shouldn't be asking Merc questions in the PT forum, but it's all Bounty Hunter so hopefully it's reasonable.

Mercs are very viable if not overall the best class end game PVE wise. PVP I have no first hand experience with, however, my guild's main tank alts a Pyro Merc for PVP and actually complains about how badly he destroys people.

Edited by Melon_Lord

Well since no one bothered going on about the Tank questions:

1. No one has ever complained when I queued as a vanguard tank, nor have I ever queued as another class and seen a vanguard tank and complained. Hell the only time I ever complained was when it was a LI HM and the tank was a shadow in 51s. And I was the healer.

2. Vanguard/Powertech tanks typically have a really easy job holding aggro. Probably because of the 30m range on auto-attack. They also have the second highest passive survivability (slightly behind shadows/sins), in exchange for less defensive cooldowns (and shadows/sins are much more spiky) - so if you do roll a PT/Vanguard, get Biochem for the extra defensive cooldown in the absorb adrenal. If doing NiM runs a clicky relic wont hurt in some areas as well when you need the extra burst of defense (e.g. SnV Thrasher)

3. PvP wise, Vanguards/PTs are currently FotM due to the buffs in 2.4. Assault/Pyro does some really good damage and is the second strongest spec for the class, and Tactics just causes heaps of pain in any class without a 30% AoE reduction. And then you can swap tactics to tank stance and its pretty much just as powerful, making it the most dangerous tank class for arenas - because it uses a DPS slot. And add to that Harpoon, available to all vanguards, and it has heaps of utility in arenas as well (can pick their team apart easily).

4. Leveling wise, PTs share gear with their last 3 companions, while Vanguards share gear with every companion but the third (a droid who still uses your mainhand/offhand), meaning you can have both a DPS set and a Tank set easily throughout the whole game (though the DPS set doesn't get any real use on you till after Balmorra). In addition, if you have treek, you share gear with her (and this actually includes the mainhand) for both classes.

The only problems is their DPS is a bit on the low end (everyone else is ~10% more damage output) though if you are geared in Dread Forged the only place this matters is... No where. Because you are outdamaging those guys in 72s, which is what is needed for NiM SnV/TfB and HM DF/DP. Though getting dread forged gear might take a while, considering you not only will be expected to use your dread forged tokens on your more-raid-worthy tank gear, but then you have to end up in a raid where everyone already has dread forged gear.

However, my DPS set does get quite a lot of use on my Vanguard. Im pretty sure they are the best option for kiting Raptus in the Dread Council fight for Dread Palace as well (Assault/Pyro Spec does ~90% of its damage at 10m, and it gets taunts if you lose aggro)

Edited by TACeMossie

Powertech is Viable, up to about HM DF/DP and NiM S&V/Tfb. Tanking though is completely Viable. If you want to DPS, go Pyro, AP DPS was gimped in 2.4 so it's not quite as viable, though it does manage heat better. Still, Pyro has great Burst and DoT damage, and it has one of the best AOE's in the game, Flame Sweep with Volatile Igniter, an AOE DoT that uses 21 heat and deals ~1k - ~2k damage plus the DoT which can deal near 1k damage over the 6 sec duration, how awesome is that? And Rail Shot which is your heat reducing mechanic being off CD every 6 seconds or so. and Rail Shot has 45% armor penetration with Puncture stack that with a Jugg Tank or Arsenal Merc, that's 90% Armor Penetration with Rail Shot (already your hardest hitter!)

Based on TOR parse, PTs seem to be viable as dps in end game PvE content. The highest parsing however is a hybrid. If you want to play BH and you are considering between PvP and PvE, go with merc for PvE. For PvP, it depends on what you prefer, though PT dps as AP and tank as AP/tank hybrid is top PvP dps spec.

For PT PvE dps refer to the guide by Pawoe http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=699363. It also shows the PTs dps is completely viable for end game PvE.

Edited by Ottoattack

Powertech is Viable, up to about HM DF/DP and NiM S&V/Tfb. Tanking though is completely Viable. If you want to DPS, go Pyro, AP DPS was gimped in 2.4 so it's not quite as viable, though it does manage heat better. Still, Pyro has great Burst and DoT damage, and it has one of the best AOE's in the game, Flame Sweep with Volatile Igniter, an AOE DoT that uses 21 heat and deals ~1k - ~2k damage plus the DoT which can deal near 1k damage over the 6 sec duration, how awesome is that?

I think most people would agree AP got better in 2.4, yeah our DoT got weaker but Flame Thrower is crazy now. Flame Sweep with Volitile Igniter is nice, more of a QoL thing so we don't have to individually DoT. Flame Sweep and DoT is really week though even compared to no stack flamethrower, yeah you can spam Sweep but you'll run into heat problems real fast. It's nice to have for Pyro, and nice to build stacks in AP, but in no way would I consider it one of the best AoE in the game. That is easily reserved for "Fun extra bit of damage" of Scatter Bombs. Seriously Devs, fix that crap.

Lots of very helpful feedback, actually considering getting back into tanking after learning about how much easier it is to manage aggro with the PT/Van. I love tanking, just not the micromanaging people part. Honestly I feel like if I could just recruit competent AI companions instead of the random pug pools I get I would probably go that route. Not to mention dibs on all the gear haha.

Anyway that's neither here nor there, it is however helpful and I appreciate all the feedback from veteran players of the game. Being a bit unorthodox about my approach to a class is what drew me to SWTOR in the first place. I liked the idea of using a Jedi Knight to wreck face instead of being a meat shield, or a very dangerous Boba Fett style PT that can go toe to toe with the best of them. I'm an old skool SW fan, set in my silly ways. This was really just about getting a feel for the long term development of the class and as is the fate of most classes in MMO's, it's preferred end role in the group. Gonna go to the drawing board with these notes (Yeah, I actually wrote down some of the stuff you guys said) and test it for myself. Thanks for the links too.