Disney Darth Vader

Darkulous

Darth Vader or not, working as a Disneyland mascot is apparently one of the most awful jobs one can have in this country.
Did this for two summers at Marriot's Great America in Santa Clara. Can personally contribute that wearing a full blown 50 lb. costume is a sweat filled day of "ugh - this sucks" combined with always having to be on every moment kind of job. For stage actors who are looking to perfect their craft, it rocks. For those looking to simply make a buck ... not so much. Edited by GalacticKegger

Don't be bitter about not getting the gig. You got goofy didn't you?

Oh Gawsh, there's nothing wrong with Goofy.

It's the poor guy dressed as Pluto you have to feel sorry for. Running around all day on all fours, ouch.

Seriously though working as a character for Disney is bad, remember when they banned employees from referring to disney world as mousewitz (pun on austchwitz) and within a few hours they started calling it Duckau, that's a sure sign it's hell on earth.

I just love the fact that one of the new mascots for disney is a character that slaughtered children. I can't help but feel they didn't quite think that one through.

Heh. They better keep an eye on Vader. May need to have a shock collar on him as he approaches kids.

I was a caterpillar mascot for like two days once for a shoe store in the mall.

The good - I could point the head in one direction, look out through the eyeholes in the other direction, and spend pretty much all day checking out the cute girl at the kiosk without her noticing.

The bad - well, even indoors, it was hot. There was a fan in the unit, but it didn't work.

The ugly - kids would react in one of two ways: hide in terror, or run up and punch me in the crotch. Which, thanks to the costume, I couldn't feel.

Edited by EranofArcadia

Darth Vader or not, working as a Disneyland mascot is apparently one of the most awful jobs one can have in this country.

Yeah, I was in Epcot a few summers back and "encountered" a group of mascots (actors in various Disney costumes) who were in a back courtyard (and obviously unaware a customer could hear them) and they were all complaining about how terrible the job was, especially in the hot weather in those costumes.

I didn't let them know they were "overheard" but my heart went out to them. They aren't paid well, they are obviously uncomfortable, and yet they make sure every kid that sees them leaves with a smile on their face. Kudos to them. :)

I have a friend who works as one of the Princesses, I can't give any more detail than that or she could get in trouble, but I can say she loves her job. I have rarely seen anyone happier with their job than her.

Just FYI, Darth Vader had been at Disneyland and Disney World long before Disney actually bought Star Wars. And Star Wars merchandise has already been there for at least a decade. Lucasfilm's collaboration with Disney started a long time ago, the first practical result being "Indiana Jones the Ride." ;)

Hmm...California heat, dressed in black, with a helmet designed to restrict airflow...dream job if I ever heard one. I would assume the mascot bloodshed was self-inflicted.

Well, after ten minutes you probably wouldn't need a voice modulator to imitate the breathing, and after twenty minutes you would probably kill to get out of it.

But now I have an image of Disney characters dismembering one and other.

I have a friend who works as one of the Princesses, I can't give any more detail than that or she could get in trouble, but I can say she loves her job. I have rarely seen anyone happier with their job than her.

So she shows up to work stoned out of her gourd, then?

Edited by EranofArcadia

Star Wars already has...

Teddy Bear warriors.

Cartoon rabbits.

Implausible child heroes.

Princesses.

Wizards.

Burp gags any time any "monster" eats anything.

Cartoon robot "ouchie" sound effects every time any droid "dies" in the prequels.

Flying supermen.

Kung Fu muppets.

Dragons.

Disney couldn't do any more harm to the brand than has already been done.

Even though they may not of had him in commercials, Disney has had darth vader running around for years. I went 7 years ago and at disney hollywood studios during the parade they had darth vader and stormtroopers, not to mention they have a star wars show too. Would be a great job though.

some how Disney and star wars just don't mix, this wont end well for star wars.

I take it you are not familer with the history of Star Wars and Disney. Star Wars has been in the Disney parks since 1987.. yeah thats right Vader has been in the Disney parks for over 26 years

Disney has also been holding Star Wars weekends in Walt Disney world for a long time and they are an absolute blast.

So it seems Disney and Star Wars mix really well.