set bonus vs. 72 armoring

hvbulldog

Take the set bonus (unless it's a 5th piece, which does you no good). If you also have a 72 non-set piece, you can still use the Mod and Enhancement from that to replace the 69 ones from your set piece (or any other piece, as they're not slot-bound), since the set bonus only depends on the armoring.

• 2 months later...

Is this true for 78s over 72 as well? There seems to be mixed opinions weather set bonuses are worth it, I guess it mostly depends on the class. You do get a considerable increase in stats with 78/72 compared to 72/69.

I haven't had a set bonus on my Merc healer since she was in 61's, and at this point I could only get a bonus with dread forged gear unless I want to downgrade my armorings.

Is this true for 78s over 72 as well? There seems to be mixed opinions weather set bonuses are worth it, I guess it mostly depends on the class. You do get a considerable increase in stats with 78/72 compared to 72/69.

I haven't had a set bonus on my Merc healer since she was in 61's, and at this point I could only get a bonus with dread forged gear unless I want to downgrade my armorings.

As you say, it depends on your class. Sage/Sorc DPS, for example, can get along just fine without any set bonus, since both bonuses (extra Force energy and Alacrity) are kinda mediocre. Your Merc definitely benefits from the healing set bonuses though; reduced cooldown on Emergency Scan and extra time on whatever the Supercharged Cell equivalent is. Same thing with my Merc DPS; that bonus damage on Railshot is crucial for overall DPS.

I'd say if you're choosing between 72 set bonus armorings and 78 non-bonus, I'd keep the 72's and just replace the mods and enhancements with 78's.

Mara you definitely want your 4 piece. One of the best set bonuses in the game. For Sniper (for now), BiS is actually 2 piece PVE and 2 piece PVP for the extra tick on Orbital Strike. The 4 piece is pretty good for Lethality, but honestly not having it isn't a huge deal and if you don't have the two piece PVP, you're fine going to mostly 78 armorings. I WOULD keep the two piece though because that extra 10 energy from Target Acquired is actually a pretty big deal.