Are Arsenal Mercs the worst arena class in the game?

Brasidast

We get absolutely DESTROYED by any melee class. There is very little actual dps'ing in arena as an arsenal merc. It is more a game of running away and praying your team can get a kill before you die. You contribute little to the team as almost every opponent will focus you if they are smart. We have little to no escapability and don't have access to any strong defensive cooldowns (kolto overload is ok although it doesn't add much survivability while 25% damage reduction can hardly be considered all that powerful).

This is not a QQ, just want to start a discussion about mercs in arenas and what we can do to fix it. I tried running a hybrid heal/dps spec and it is ok but you become a weak healer and can't dps when necessary.

No, no, and no. Arsenal is good in Arena if played correctly. With Power Surge you get 2 instant cast Tracers, followed by heat-seaker and a railshot gives you the single biggest opening burst in the game. 4 instant cast spells that if they crit can do upwards of 25-28k damage, 13-15k non crit. After the opener, it's a game of positioning to get your casts off and kite melee.

Let's be honest, Arenas are much more melee friendly, specifically Jugg's/marauders, but as far as RDPS, I think arsenal is far better off than snipers are.

No, no, and no. Arsenal is good in Arena if played correctly. With Power Surge you get 2 instant cast Tracers, followed by heat-seaker and a railshot gives you the single biggest opening burst in the game. 4 instant cast spells that if they crit can do upwards of 25-28k damage, 13-15k non crit. After the opener, it's a game of positioning to get your casts off and kite melee.

Let's be honest, Arenas are much more melee friendly, specifically Jugg's/marauders, but as far as RDPS, I think arsenal is far better off than snipers are.

I wouldn't say the best but it competes with deception but I agree fully with everything else. It's more mobile than snipers (obviously), has good kiting with the KB and hydraulic override and electronet is one of the best 51 abilities in the game and works excellent in small scale battles.

Spot on. If I could upvote this post I would. Hit the nail on the head.

A personal observation:

If there is a Merc on the enemy team, Rule #1 is usually: kill the Merc first.

If there is a Merc on my team, Rule #1 of the enemy team seems to be: kill the Merc first.

I don't think I've ever seen a Merc last longer than a minute in an arena match. I think the general consensus is, a Merc is the weakest link, and basically a free kill. That's not meant to be insulting, as one of the best players I know is a Merc, and he's downright nasty to deal with. But the problem is, he's the exception and not the rule. Of all the Mercs and Commandos that I can think of, only a few are actually decent at playing the class.

I think I'm 30 - 10 solo rwz.

If it's all dps vs dps AND the other side is all melee, I have a hard time. If there is a healer on my side, or the other side consists of a ranged dps... I do pretty well. If there is a healer on my side and they focus me, my team and I can dps someone while they try to kill me. Basically you have to be ready for the focus and get good at hit/run/heal but if they have 4 smahers or 4 assassins you're going to be toast

Edited by Choffware

I think I'm 30 - 10 solo rwz.

If it's all dps vs dps AND the other side is all melee, I have a hard time. If there is a healer on my side, or the other side consists of a ranged dps... I do pretty well. If there is a healer on my side and they focus me, my team and I can dps someone while they try to kill me. Basically you have to be ready for the focus and get good at hit/run/heal but if they have 4 smahers or 4 assassins you're going to be toast

Yea that's why I do well in solo as a merc. Group que, it's all smashers and assassins so : (