Theoretically, if I went Combat Medic, do I NEED to use an assault cannon?

Zinayzen

I really can't decide between Commando or Vanguard, and ultimately I think it comes down to I hate Assault Cannons because they're huge and the running animation is terrible, and the pulse cannon sound effect makes my ears bleed so Vanguard's a bit iffy.

I know for Commando DPS (Gunnery, at least), you need Assault Cannons, but it doesn't look like for Combat Medic I'll actually need to use one. If I can heal with a blaster rifle, I'd be happy. Is this possible, or not?

I figure if I can't heal I can always use the Assault tree which seems like it doesn't necessarily require assault cannons either...of course, I'd probably keep one on me just in case.

Edited by Zinayzen

I really can't decide between Commando or Vanguard, and ultimately I think it comes down to I hate Assault Cannons because they're huge and the running animation is terrible, and the pulse cannon sound effect makes my ears bleed so Vanguard's a bit iffy.

I know for Commando DPS (Gunnery, at least), you need Assault Cannons, but it doesn't look like for Combat Medic I'll actually need to use one. If I can heal with a blaster rifle, I'd be happy. Is this possible, or not?

I figure if I can't heal I can always use the Assault tree which seems like it doesn't necessarily require assault cannons either...of course, I'd probably keep one on me just in case.

I'm fairly certain CM doesn't require a cannon.

I'm fairly certain CM doesn't require a cannon.

It doesn't, but if you ever need to help your group with DPS (or ever feel bored and want to throw out some damage), you are losing your best spam DPS power and gimping your absolute best powers. Unless you're in PvP, or you vehemently object to the auto cannon, I recommend sticking with it.

Incidentally, both of the damage trees require an assault cannon to do viable DPS, and the assault tree requires it to do any DPS at all.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

It doesn't, but if you ever need to help your group with DPS (or ever feel bored and want to throw out some damage), you are losing your best spam DPS power and gimping your absolute best powers. Unless you're in PvP, or you vehemently object to the auto cannon, I recommend sticking with it.

That's what I figured. I just REALLY don't like auto cannons. :< I know that it's dumb to pick commando and expect to be able to avoid auto cannons, but I like them in general more than Vanguards and I like healing more than tanking...it's just that I've got a gunslinger and a marauder so technically I've got my DPS covered, really. I've played Commandos and Vanguards both to ~30 before I migrated servers and I still can't tell which I like more. Honestly if I could do without auto cannons this wouldn't even be a discussion, but I just really am not a fan. Which is annoying.

That's what I figured. I just REALLY don't like auto cannons. :< I know that it's dumb to pick commando and expect to be able to avoid auto cannons, but I like them in general more than Vanguards and I like healing more than tanking...it's just that I've got a gunslinger and a marauder so technically I've got my DPS covered, really. I've played Commandos and Vanguards both to ~30 before I migrated servers and I still can't tell which I like more. Honestly if I could do without auto cannons this wouldn't even be a discussion, but I just really am not a fan. Which is annoying.

Roll a merc and go with dual pistols?

You could do what I did: have an assault cannon and blaster rifle. I know wha you mean about sometimes wanting to run with a rifle instead of the bulky cannon.

I've healed using a rifle before and really didn't see much of a difference, but I'm normally Gunnery spec. In gunnery spec, the only abilities lost are Charged Bolts and Hail of Bolts. Although once you get Grav Round there really is no point on using Charged Bolts. Hail of Bolts is handy so it's sucks to lose it.

I guess what I will end on is that one of my favorite healers to run with uses a blaster rifle to heal and she is amazing as what she does.

Assault Cannons have greater min-max damage. If you are playing Gunnery or Assault, you should always use the cannon. Combat Medic can get away with it b/c healing bonus is based off of tech power, which is the same for all weapons.

Isn't your min/max damage based off of your barrel modification and not the weapon class? I'd like to see a screen shot of the two weapons side by side.

Isn't your min/max damage based off of your barrel modification and not the weapon class? I'd like to see a screen shot of the two weapons side by side.

Barrels affect it, but it's only equal if it's the same kind of weapon (say blaster vs blaster) but different weapons have a different min and max damage. I'm too lazy to printscreen but simply walk over to the supply section and compare for example single bladed and double bladed lightsaber or rifle and assault cannon if you're curious. :) Or if you trust askmrrobot: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear?n=campaign# Asaault Cannons (campaign level) have 400.0 - 742.0 Energy Damage where-as Rifles have 381.0-571.0 Energy Damage

I personally dislike the look of Assault Cannons aswell, however I'd really stick with it. In PvE there're quite some oppertunities to push out some damage and in some fights you even need to to beat tight enrage-timers. Basicly whenever you're not healing you want to be DPS'ing. In PvP aswell, helping your team get that 1 kill can reduce damage taken more than you can heal. The so-called 'stealth' it gives you is mitigated by the green beam, cell and supercharged cell stacks anyway if being a Commando alone isn't enough reason to target you.

Edited by Gloomycakes