What's the difference between a Patch & a Free Digital Expansion?

Dawginole

When did DLC become such a dirty word? Companies have been charging $10 for dpc for years, never until SWTOR hae I seen that acronym throw around like a curse.

I have seen people hating on DLC before SWTOR came out and since plenty of other games have done horrible things with it, like first day DLC that feels like developers have just cut a part from the normal game to sell it extra without any need and such things.

Maybe DLC could be equivalent to a "Game Update", as that's what I saw for RotHC and not as an expac.

Nice post, Alien.

:cool:

Expansions aren't just about what comes out in 2.0 or 3.0, but what comes after it. ROTHC expansion also includes the DP and DF operations that have come after much like WOTLK in WOW also included Ulduar, TOC and IC etc.

Galactic Starfighters has all new gameplay with progression, sounds like an expansion not just a patch.

I have seen people hating on DLC before SWTOR came out and since plenty of other games have done horrible things with it, like first day DLC that feels like developers have just cut a part from the normal game to sell it extra without any need and such things.

Well it's just a name game. Someone, somewhere messed up something and that negative connotation DLC became synonymous with greed. So playing the name game it became ExPac. Just like marketing uses scientific names to hide common items and proclaim how superior they are. "Buy Rick's Rocks! Pure Halite. Melts snow and ice faster than rock salt!" :rolleyes:

I think of it more as a "console" DLC than an expac. But hey it's free and it's fricken space flight, so I ain't complaining. I plan on having a lot of fun and blowing a butt load of Pubs outta the sky.

Now, I do think of ROTHC as an expac. It gave us new areas to explore, new flashpoints, new PvP maps, new raids and a raise in level cap. All the things I expect out of an expansion.

I see Galactic Starfighter as a really good template for future space content. Just add some PVE elements, a way to "level" our ships (which I think they are kind of doing anyways). And space raids. IT makes me all giddy inside to think of what this could become.

Edited by Valdrane

I think of it more as a "console" DLC than an expac. But hey it's free and it's fricken space flight, so I ain't complaining. I plan on having a lot of fun and blowing a butt load of Pubs outta the sky.

Now, I do think of ROTHC as an expac. It gave us new areas to explore, new flashpoints, new PvP maps, new raids and a raise in level cap. All the things I expect out of an expansion.

I see Galactic Starfighter as a really good template for future space content. Just add some PVE elements, a way to "level" our ships (which I think they are kind of doing anyways). And space raids. IT makes me all giddy inside to think of what this could become.

The only area that was new for exploration was Makeb, and we never got any new PvP maps and hardly anything PvP related. It was more of a DLC that should have been free to subscribers in the first place.

:rolleyes:

Edited by FriendReferral