What's the difference between a Patch & a Free Digital Expansion?

Dawginole

Just curious about how BW categorizes these things because as you know 2.4 was a pretty huge patch about 3/4 of what RotHC was.

So expansion always indicates to me an "add-on" to the game, which space pvp absolutely is. But if it is free and it is JUST SSSP then it makes me wonder why it's not a patch. Which then makes me think that what we are getting in December or January is a way advanced preview and this expansion is not releasing till around April as part of something much larger. Maybe not. But if not, then I don't get why they don't just call this a patch.

A patch is a piece of software designed to fix problems[1] with, or update a computer program or its supporting data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(computing)

Hence the name; like you would "patch" a hole in something.

An expansion pack, expansion set, supplement, or simply expansion is an addition to an existing role-playing game, tabletop game or video game. These add-ons usually add new game areas, weapons, objects, and/or an extended storyline to a complete and already released game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_pack

A digital expansion is simply one that does not have a physical box in stores and can only be downloaded.

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

Yeah I dont really see the expansion here, or atleast calling it an expansion.

Take 2.4 vs the new D. Expansion coming up. Both introduce a new way to PvP. One with Arenas the other with space combat. We already have PvP and we already have space combat (although not very good)

But 2.4 also introduced 2 new Ops, new gear sets for PvE and PvP, a new planet with a new daily area, new reputation.

Seems like this expansion is very similar in scope to 2.4 but more focused on a single topic, space.

Now lets look at the last expansion, new planet story, new dailies, new dailies on old planets, introduction of SGR, level cap increase, major class balances, new abilities, new HM FPs, OPs changes and upgrades, new OPs, a few hours worth of content, While this isnt a real xpac, it is atleast expanding the sw universe and the players growth within it. 2.4, nor this next expansion, will do that. So they may aswell call this for what it is, another patch.

To me, a patch is something that is meant to fix something or in the case of MMOs, minor content update or release. Free Digital Expansion would be something that contains much more than a patch and no bug fixes for existing content. On the same token it also does not include quite enough stuff for a company to actually charge the customer for it which brings us to final link of the food chain, paid expansion :) Edited by Oneirophrenia

Just curious about how BW categorizes these things because as you know 2.4 was a pretty huge patch about 3/4 of what RotHC was.

So expansion always indicates to me an "add-on" to the game, which space pvp absolutely is. But if it is free and it is JUST SSSP then it makes me wonder why it's not a patch. Which then makes me think that what we are getting in December or January is a way advanced preview and this expansion is not releasing till around April as part of something much larger. Maybe not. But if not, then I don't get why they don't just call this a patch.

To be honest between patches, digital expansions, soft launches, open beta, F2P with subscriptions, immersion, dynamic events, registered users etc I think MMO developers are just toss out words and hoping we like how they sound.

Yep the lines between patch and digital expansion are blurred sometimes. In this case, you can see this as an expansion because it adds something (gameplay and conceptually wise) totally new to the game. It's completely independent from the current content (if you think about it, it could easily be a separate standalone free2play game). On the other side, 2.4 was a big patch and added the new gameplay content of the warzone arenas. But after all, arenas are nothing more than a new rule-set (4v4 deathmatch) and new maps for an already existing gameplay (pvp combat). :rak_02:

The distinction is in the staggered release schedule.

But seriously who the eff cares what they call it? Why is this always a thing? It's just words, and they provide enough context for this that there really should be no confusion. Get over this crap already, jeez.

Nothing short of a planet and a cap raise is an expansion imo, but yeah I suppose it does sound better than 'patch'. Bit misleading though.

Consider the space arena a new planet and you have to level your ship. There is nothing misleading about calling it an expansion. It expands the game more than slapping nightmare mode on old ops what a patch would do. In the end it doesn't matter whats it called as long as it takes my ship off the rails :D

I would echo others' thoughts in that the terminology doesn't really matter.

Personally, the difference as I see it (and I'm ready to be shouted down, lol)...

We already have operations, flashpoints and PVP, so 2.4 was an extension of what we already had. We've never had Space PVP, so this is a new addition, hence expansion.

But then you could argue that Makeb wasn't an expansion either, I suppose, although I'd argue it brought a lot of new things, e.g. seeker droid and macrobinoculars was a format we hadn't seen before in game, and so was the staged weekly. Plus of course the higher level cap and crafting.

So for me, it's a patch if it is another version of what we have and it's an expansion if it's a new form of gameplay. But I would concede that those criteria would be debatable and quite subjective.

I view the terminology this way

Patch = Bug Fixes

Patch bundled with free new stuff = Bug Fixes + Minor Content Release ( Just Bundled as a Patch )

Expansion = Major Content Release ( usually game changing additions )

Edited by OwenBrooks

Well a patch would be like the real world equivalent. Anything from a Band-Aid to a prosthetic. So basically it fixes or replaces something deficient. An expansion pack (ExPac) or some might call downloadable content (DLC) adds something to the game that did not exist or in extending something like storyline or leveling.

Size matters not - :csw_yoda:

The difference, in this case, is that Galactic Starfighter introduces an entirely NEW system to the game, not simply a new variation of an existing system (which is what Arenas are, really, they're just a new kind of warzones).

The new Space Combat has really nothing to do with what we currently have, and the scope of it is massive compared to any regular patch.

Though ultimately, I guess time will tell. :)

Edited by Itkovian

The 2.4 patch added some content, but did so for those already playing the game - i.e. Level 55s got access to Oricon.

This digital expansion pack, presumably (yet to be confirmed, I grant you) will allow even brand new players to jump straight in to the brand new content.

There are really three:

Patch: Fixes bugs or other issues

Game Update: Introduces game content that does not affect story, character development, or game mechanics significantly

Expansion: Introduces a significant advancement in story, character development, and/or game mechanics.

To be honest between patches, digital expansions, soft launches, open beta, F2P with subscriptions, immersion, dynamic events, registered users etc I think MMO developers are just toss out words and hoping we like how they sound.

This. Major content updates in City of Heroes/Villains were officially called "Issues," to reference the comic book culture that inspired it. I never liked that term for a patch.

There are really three:

Patch: Fixes bugs or other issues

Game Update: Introduces game content that does not affect story, character development, or game mechanics significantly

Expansion: Introduces a significant advancement in story, character development, and/or game mechanics.

Maybe DLC could be equivalent to a "Game Update", as that's what I saw for RotHC and not as an expac.

Nice post, Alien.

:cool: