Watch “Conflict Rising” Trailer

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the first step to open Space Flight? I'd love to be able to build my own ship like a shipwright. (See Star Wars Galaxies for great ideas on how to do this). Edited by Ejied

It appeared to be pvp oriented from the trailer, is that just how the trailer appears, or is most of the content (or all of it) pvp related atm. And if so will more pve content be released, or is it both pvp and pve stuff

It hasn't been revealed yet. It was after all just annonced yesterday. But you Can probably Expect it Will be mostly PVP related. Though there are talks about "battlefields", which has not been specified in The descrition yet.

We'll probably get some more info over the next month and a Half until it's early release for subs.

So the expansion is free. Let me guess: ship customization stuff is buyable from the market. Maybe even either me3 multiplayer style where you can spend cash or grind until your brain melts to get the stuff you want. Just guessing anyway. There has to be some way they are making money from this, thinks the little cynic in me.

(Im not saying this is bad...)

I don't see what's cynical about it... it's just realistic. Of course they will monetize it, they don't spend development funds out of the goodness of their hearts.

It'll be like MWO or WOT: microtransactinos for people with more money than time, while the game itself is all free to play.

Awesome Devs!. Can't wait till it comes out on the PTS and then December. Been excited about this for a while. All the 'other' info out there is super exciting too. Thank you for finally giving PvPers an entree instead of scraps on the side : ). Plus from the looks of it, you're laying some good groundwork for future PvE additions.

On a side note I honestly think most of these people asking questions forgot how to read, failed to notice the words below the video, or didn't want to click http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/galactic-starfighter for more info.

You really show off you lack of observational skills when asking for devs to give you info to read in a post when they've already given you the same info and more to read in nice, info specific website pages.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see what's cynical about it... it's just realistic. Of course they will monetize it, they don't spend development funds out of the goodness of their hearts.

It'll be like MWO or WOT: microtransactinos for people with more money than time, while the game itself is all free to play.

From what we've seen with how they've done SW:TOR F2P it'll probably be more of the same we have now (Paint jobs, Colors, XP/Cred/Valor boasts, Weekly Pass, ect). Maybe they'll have an 'Adaptive' type gear that looks different from the normally earned cannons or engines of whatever but does the same thing? Who knows, but it's going to be exciting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks good from looking at the trailer (Liking the paint job options), although proof will be in pudding as always. A welcome addition non-railed space battles should play a bigger part in this game . I am hoping this will be precurser to getting some PVE space missions in future maybe a space battle operation or flashpoint aswell, but like someone else has mentioned once the engine is in place and has gone through its paces in PVP it should not be hard to transfer into new PVE missions.

Questions for thought:- Will the Space warzone be ranked then as player level and gear is irrelevent then or just free for all. I guess it will be the case that the ship will be levelled then as such and ranking goes from it's rating, how will ships be rated (Speed, defence, weapons manouvrability)?. The armourment of them will be interesting will there be new crew skills for making starship upgrades or will it be an extensions adding new schematics to cybertech, armourtech or armstech perhaps?, or will it just be buying upgrades from vendors extending what we have already. Will there be a seperate space based warzone comms to use to buy upgardes or will we use existing PVP comms, just that I think many players will like to play this new space PVP that dont actually like normal pvp?

Exciting times, well done Bioware at least this proves your still developing game for the long term. I feel the need........ the need for speed..........:D

Edited by NOTACTICS

So is this the Super Secret Space Project that was announced before the developers where born....sarcasm a side if this is that very project then i am a little disappointed, i would have thought that there would be more matches other than one 12 v's 12 match considering the time they had since its first announcement.

Why not? This would not be the first fully F2P competitive multiplayer game out there. Have a look at MWO and WoT, for example.

None of the games in this "genre" are Pay to Play: they all are F2P with major convenience/time/cosmetic upgrades through micro (and not-so-micro) transactions. The model works quite well, so there's no reason why Bioware can't follow suit with a similar concept.

I can easily see Galactic Starfighter as being a mini War Thunder in space, with its main revenue coming from cartel purchases for new ships, new systems, bonus XP/Credits, cosmetic patterns and the likes. And these will no doubt be purchasable through credits as well (well, except maybe cosmetics and XP boosts sort of things, the things that avoid P2W issues, something Bioware has been studiously doing so far).

Remember: F2P does not mean they don't make money from it. I'm sure they've got extensive plans to monetize the system for those of us with more money than time, which is the very core of the F2P formula.

The double-whammy with this system though is that it comes hand-in-hand with a full F2P MMO, which will hopefully bring more people to the "ground" game, and in turn generate even more revenue. Heck, they're already incentivizing subscriptions.

It's all pretty shrewd on their part, if you ask me... and the beauty of it is we STILL get a F2P space combat "sim".

I for one can't wait for December 3rd. :)

Itkovian

I agree mate, and I had not looked at it like a thing that would be mainly funded by the CM.

Just hought of it in comparrision to the latest "expansion", which was something we had to pay for, depending on when you joined obviously;).

But all that a side, I am glad to finally see some real space content, and i hope its sometings they will expand on with alot more in the future :)

Right, I am primarily a PvE player. I occasionally dabble in low level pvp just as an alternate way of gaining xp.

But....

I really liked the idea of space combat and was hoping it would come. For me it would be important especially that we could customise our ships. And I actually like the idea of space pvp. It's exciting.

So of course we have the bah humbug crowd that's over-represented on any forum, but damn this is cool. I really want to get into this. In fact I think it's a much better version of pvp because it's more like fps, except in starfighters.

Many people asked and whined and insisted on off the rail space combat and we're getting it....for free as it should be for a sub.

So all you people who insist that everything is terrible and the devs never listen let me tell you this:

Go f........ [data stream disconnected] ----- /trying to reconnect....

------------------

-------------------//---------------------

... ....... .........| ....

----

------------

......... [data stream reconnected]

And that's all I have to say about that ;)

So is this the Super Secret Space Project that was announced before the developers where born....sarcasm a side if this is that very project then i am a little disappointed, i would have thought that there would be more matches other than one 12 v's 12 match considering the time they had since its first announcement.

I concur , there was only one person working on it , about a year ago and the work they where doing was in their spare time , so no this digital expansion has been very quick to release , especially with all the other updates we have been getting over the last 8 months or so.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

Looks amazing. Can't wait. Would love some similar PvE space mechanics at some point also but fantastic 'start'.

/Cheer

I couldn'y agree more I've added my own thread 12x12 PVP coming in November check it out and let me know what you think.

Seems like the dev-team found its own style back ...

... I've been missing innovative stuff like the Karma-System in the Story-Mode quests, Armor-Color'kits and here we go, something that makes me want to reactivate my game-account.

Still a bit late though ...

.. but keep up the good work!

Too bad that there are no guild-ships or guild-cities there ...