New Pyro mercs 2.4

Discoteck

So anyone else been getting bigger numbers in 2.4 with pyro?

http://i43.tinypic.com/143zw43.jpg

I've been using the IM>TD>RS>Unload>RS then dotting 2 more enemies with IM then switching back to focus target with 1 or 2 PS then RS>TD>IM>Unload>RS. With the obvious rapid shots to keep the heat down.

Since 2.4 i am having a much better time controlling heat but this tree is still pretty useless for arenas IMO.

What are your thoughts on the rotation? Not including FM and DFA which are situational.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, right now pyro is seeing more damage due to the 2 rail shot buffs. One was a general damage buff the other was dual wielding bonus. Powertechs only see the general damage buff.

The rotation you have looks pretty good. I would suggest throwing Thermal Det first only because you have to wait 3 seconds for it to go "BOOM!"

As for arenas, you'd be surprised. With 16 heat for the biggest DoT, one can throw DoTs everywhere really quickly and then vent heat. Unless they stagger their cleanses you can catch someone with one. With the new railshot buff and TD burst buff you can catch people off guard witha 4k TD, 6k rail, 4k instant (Use the cooldown) power shot, and then a 6k rail shot again (20k damage). This of course assume you're awesome and it all crits and you have ~70% surge. It's also much more mobile for LoS killing instead of being the focus fired turret in the middle of the room.

P.S. Seems my portrait has gone missing again.

I've been using the IM>TD>RS>Unload>RS then dotting 2 more enemies with IM then switching back to focus target with 1 or 2 PS then RS>TD>IM>Unload>RS. With the obvious rapid shots to keep the heat down.

Since 2.4 i am having a much better time controlling heat but this tree is still pretty useless for arenas IMO.

What are your thoughts on the rotation? Not including FM and DFA which are situational.

Why are you dotting multiple targets with IM? That does little to nothing and adds no pressure to the healer and at the same time is wasting your GCDs and is building to much heat.

Also I will point out that if you can it would be better to use power shot to get the RS proc because your RS would be fired at the same time that PS is hitting the target so its more burst. Of course if your being pressured you use unload for the instant proc at the beginning. Note that PS procs RS pretty much 100% 6 seconds after your last RS proc, the tooltip lies.

PvE testing ftw

Why are you dotting multiple targets with IM? That does little to nothing and adds no pressure to the healer and at the same time is wasting your GCDs and is building to much heat.

Also I will point out that if you can it would be better to use power shot to get the RS proc because your RS would be fired at the same time that PS is hitting the target so its more burst. Of course if your being pressured you use unload for the instant proc at the beginning. Note that PS procs RS pretty much 100% 6 seconds after your last RS proc, the tooltip lies.

PvE testing ftw

I understand that the IM to the two other targets does little to add to the burst. However if your dps'ing a healer and you dot the tank too or you want to set up your next target if you believe your current is getting low. If you just got your free rail shot and TD is on CD you have little burst left and i don't believe you are sacrificing much burst for the surrounding dots.

Also putting IM on multiple people does help a great deal during 1v2's and 1v3's.

I understand that the IM to the two other targets does little to add to the burst. However if your dps'ing a healer and you dot the tank too or you want to set up your next target if you believe your current is getting low. If you just got your free rail shot and TD is on CD you have little burst left and i don't believe you are sacrificing much burst for the surrounding dots.

Also putting IM on multiple people does help a great deal during 1v2's and 1v3's.

edit: nvm your ss is a reg wz.

Nice dmg though.

Edited by Phrase

doting multiple people is just for numbers bro u had 1,2kk dmg and 7 kills, thats just nothing. That means pyro is trash spec and u played it only to farm numbers not to kill ppl.

doting everyone isn't dmg for me. U are showing some useless pic of 1,2kk dmg. Should i clap?

i mean what's the reason behind tab doting on merc, u won't replenish any heat from crit dot ticks like snipers do. U get only higher fluff dmg numbers on the scoreboard if noone will cleanse them, that's all.

Edited by szczypaczek

Well he did get the second highest kills on his team. The highest on the other side was only 15. It seems to me this was healer stalemate. He also had no deaths which is pretty good also. But this is a small sample size so I wouldn't claim anything really. But I think he's doing pretty well, I might try pyro this week.

GL doing that in group que ranked 4v4 arenas. You're to squishy.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Well I think some pvp'ers need to try 2.4 pyro before you judge. I'm not 100% sold on it but I was pretty shocked by the burst. I played about 7 regulars and 4 ranked (solo). A small sample size I know... but the new rail shot seems to be hitting much harder. I like the new mobility and the change to chaff is really nice.

Well I think some pvp'ers need to try 2.4 pyro before you judge. I'm not 100% sold on it but I was pretty shocked by the burst. I played about 7 regulars and 4 ranked (solo). A small sample size I know... but the new rail shot seems to be hitting much harder. I like the new mobility and the change to chaff is really nice.

For the sake of being thorough, I will try it out later today.

After seeing this thread I went home and respecced pyro. I ran about a dozen regular WZ's with a couple regular arenas to get a feeling for the play style. So far what I've noticed.

1. Mobility, mobility , mobility. I can kite melee much better and I can do surprising burst without ever standing around to turret cast time spells.

2. Burst is fine. IM/TD/ED/RS... If you time it right, TD, ED, and Rail will all hit at about the same time and you are looking at 15-16k damage instantly, plus cylinder procs and 2 dots on the target.

3. The DOT is far from useless damage. It ticks for 18s, does nearly 1k per tick (over on crits), rarely does anyone cleanse it, and if they do, their cleanse is on cd while IM is not. I was dotting up everyone in the WZ in range first, then rotating my burst between targets. Most of my damage was done from cover, so I was taking very little damage while kiting the few people who noticed me running around. Having the dot up on everyone also means I can tab target and rail shot immediately rather than have to apply my IM first.

4. This spec is an Operative Healers worst nightmare. Rolling damage on multiple targets combined with pockets of burst, plus boosted stealth detection from Infrared Imagers... We can really push the healers to their limits to keep up with our overall damage... not to mention the damage is Tech so it isn't mitigated like white damage.

5. Its just fun as hell to watch 4-5 enemies running around like human sparklers on the 4th of July

I should also mention that I was top 2 damage in every WZ (except 1 Coast where I got stuck on guard duty), I did top DPS in both arena matches (won both) and had 1 Voidstar where I led the WZ with 41 kills and 17kb's and was only #2 in damage (by only 30k damage) behind a smash marauder. All in all I would say it is pretty damn good first night playing the spec.

And no it wasn't high level rated arena's, I'm on a pve server and most of the matches were not against the best competition. But at the level I was playing against, it performed swimmingly.

Edited by BigDumbViking

I did one WZ this afternoon as Pyro. >700k damage, 30 kills in a voidstar win, which is basically par for what I can do in Arsenal.

I will say this about Pyro: if you get lucky w/ crits on burst you can absolutely wreck people. I hit a sage with ED -> TD -> PS -> RS (had already DoT'd), and all 4 crit. 3.5+6.5+4+7, >20k damage all applying with a single GCD. Sage went from 75% health to dead.

*THAT* is the kind of burst that made this my favorite spec pre 2.0. Im going to give Pyro a bit more of a chance and see how it goes. I still think that Arsenal has better utility.

Kantner and I tryin' to tell ya'll peeps before :p Pyro was already doing well in 2.0, better in 2.4 PTR, and even after they repair the dual wielding bug it will still be a fun and rewarding spec to play IMO. But yup Arsenal still got the utility and front loaded bursts advantage. Edited by odawgg

Kantner and I tryin' to tell ya'll peeps before :p Pyro was already doing well in 2.0, better in 2.4 PTR, and even after they repair the dual wielding bug it will still be a fun and rewarding spec to play IMO. But yup Arsenal still got the utility and front loaded bursts advantage.

Almost everything on Kantner's guide says it all (minus my retarded banter). Pyro is still ok in damage terms but suffers from common dot spec problems such as cleanses and consistent burst. It seems in 2.4 that along with the buff to rail shot they also made unload more consistent on its procs, everyone who played pyro before 2.4 knows what I mean. While it is ok it still does less burst than arsenal,(given the fact pyro is a lot more mobile it is debatable which is more important) to me there seems to be a problem with our top tree talents atm since one of them is completely useless on half of what it does and is only mildly useful on the other part,if jet rebounder/reflexive battery added a extra dot(by this I mean AOE cell ffs) it would be much more useful than the 30% increase to its damage and give more point in speccing into it. Also if out pyro shield increase the duration of energy shield as well it would more than likely help the pyro class in where it is failing atm.

The thing that I really, really, really was annoyed about while using Pyro in PvP was the stupid 6s timer between applying CGC w/ Rapid Shots. I know its been talked about a bunch, but its still annoying as all get out.

Pre 2.0 I hardly used Incendiary Missile; Id just tap Rapid a few times and get the DoT going and then pewpew. Now I guess I will have to change that to starting with IM.

Maybe they can fix the internal timer with 2.5

I went back to arsenal after a few solo rwz. Don't get me wrong I'm not claiming pyro is inferior. I just am personally much better at arsenal. I will say yes arsenal has better consistent burst. But Pyro does have those occasional burst spikes that are a HUGE rush when they happen. When it happens I'm like "wholly crap!" It doesn't happen enough for me to stick with it. But I can see that someone that masters the spec is no longer a push over.

Kantner and I tryin' to tell ya'll peeps before :p Pyro was already doing well in 2.0, better in 2.4 PTR, and even after they repair the dual wielding bug it will still be a fun and rewarding spec to play IMO. But yup Arsenal still got the utility and front loaded bursts advantage.

Was it fixed? I was leveling my merc earlier today, and it seemed to still give more heat back. :)

Was it fixed? I was leveling my merc earlier today, and it seemed to still give more heat back. :)

It has not been fixed... I've been enjoying topping the raid charts this past week... Not something I've gotten to do in a LONG time given the quality snipers and maras I've raided with for so long.