Gambling is illegal

Hazed

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone spends that much money on fluff, then they should not be playing. In fact if they have that little self-control they should not have a credit or debit card, and therefore be unable to buy cartel coins.

PS. last time I checked EA had limits to how many Cartel coins someone could buy at a time, so they are taking steps to prevent people from spending all their money.

If what you say is true I will rescind my original post.

Then start your own business. Because last I checked you weren't the CEO, and therefore don't dictate how they run their business.

Yeah the last CEO who oversaw this operation just got fired a few months ago BRO

I support my country as I was sworn to do..

I do not have a political axe to grind, in fact I think our current political system is safe and sound. I don't care if your a democrat or republican.. I am a Libertarian who understands social responsibility.

I do have a problem with corporate greed though especially when it crosses the line into activities which are not only distasteful, but illegal.

You keep saying the activity is illegal, but it really isn't, seriously, EA looked into every angle before they did it, and it's no more illegal than taking a subscription to play the game. Not sure you can really claim it's distasteful either, although that is a matter of opinion.

Also while your saying you understand social responsibility, I'm not so sure you do, the customer also has a social responsibility, which includes taking reasonable efforts not to get addicted, and controlling their spending. All your arguments have been that EA isn't doing enough to protect these people, which incidently is wrong, but you've not once acknowledged they have a responsibility to themselves to exercise self-control.

No system is going to work properly if your not going to exercise your willpower, and it's not the games fault if you fail to do so.

Yeah the last CEO who oversaw this operation just got fired a few months ago BRO

Happens there will much more firing of ceo this year all across the spectrum !

you going to point out the world is doomed ?

nope just like always people are replacable numbers ! Especially in the corporate industry :p

If what you say is true I will rescind my original post.

It is. You can check the CS forum and see for yourself how many people are outraged by EA limiting how much they can spend.

Then again, this thread was never about addiction or gambling.

This was about you not liking Cartel Packs or not getting what you want - which, of course, in your world translates to "it's evil and no one should support it".

I want them to come up with better ways of money.. like bringing back the playerbase through new content etc..

not milking the same people over and over on the CM.

More people would spend money if the items were sold individually.. they just wouldn't make half brained purchases.

Maybe some of you are ok with people around you being idiots, but I am not.

Ahhh, so now you're trying to reverse a well known truth that's 500+ years old ...

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

It's called marketing. Make something appealing to the public in hopes that they buy it.

EA/Bioware has properly marketed the Cartel Packs if they have a decent enough % of the playerbase spending at least some RL $ on them to support their game play.

There's nothing shady about it.

It is simply understood that you only have a chance at getting the specific item you want from the packs.

Stupid people and fools are simply that, stupid people and fools. If they want to spend their hard earned money on virtual crap, who am I to disagree?

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You cannot define that for another person any more than I can. But, I'm not going to interfere in another's life and obstruct their liberty to pursue their happiness. Live and let live.

Edited by ThiborF

It is. You can check the CS forum and see for yourself how many people are outraged by EA limiting how much they can spend.

Then again, this thread was never about addiction or gambling.

This was about you not liking Cartel Packs or not getting what you want - which, of course, in your world translates to "it's evil and no one should support it".

please link thread and i'll rescind original post due to my oversight

if they limit the amount of packs you can purchase im cool with that.

Not completely sold

After reading the thread only 2 people mentioned it as a deterrent, but the rest were calling it some sort of fraud prevention mechanism. One person even noted that it was a way to avoid paying multiple transaction fees.. which if I interpret that correctly, would mean the problem is bigger than I thought.. (i.e. one person making hundreds of purchases in a day)

I am torn.. I want to believe EA is still the scumbag company it always was, but maybe the new CEO has taken them in a new direction?

if its transaction fees they are avoiding though.. there can be only one conclusion: They got a bunch of whales.

I will make note of these findings in my OP and will await further clarification.. hopefully from people like Andryah who not only posted on that thread, but also seem to have a working knowledge of day to day operations here on the forums.

Not completely sold

After reading the thread only 2 people mentioned it as a deterrent, but the rest were calling it some sort of fraud prevention mechanism. One person even noted that it was a way to avoid paying multiple transaction fees.. which if I interpret that correctly, would mean the problem is bigger than I thought.. (i.e. one person making hundreds of purchases in a day)

I am torn.. I want to believe EA is still the scumbag company it always was, but maybe the new CEO has taken them in a new direction?

if its transaction fees they are avoiding though.. there can be only one conclusion: They got a bunch of whales.

I will make note of these findings in my OP and will await further clarification.. hopefully from people like Andryah who not only posted on that thread, but also seem to have a working knowledge of day to day operations here on the forums.

You can "take note of" whatever you want. You can wait for "further clarification" until the dinosaurs return to roam the Earth. Cartel packs will never be "gambling" unless you get a majority of humanity to agree to redefine "gambling."

You can "take note of" whatever you want. You can wait for "further clarification" until the dinosaurs return to roam the Earth. Cartel packs will never be "gambling" unless you get a majority of humanity to agree to redefine "gambling."

Listen [Redacted],

Just please do not post in this thread if you feel like you need to keep defining gambling.

Edited by Hazed

Cartel Coins are not money and have no value. When you buy them, you are not converting from one currency to another. You're buying Monopoly paper.

I'll take this one step further. It would be gambling if you were spending money DIRECTLY on the chances of receiving a single item, without the use of CCs or let alone the Cartel pack. But as you are required to pay for the majority of your CCs, this counts as the service being rendered.

I.E, EAware would be (for a lack of better words) ****ed if they didn't use Cartel Coins.

If someone was extremely brave and or stupid, they could try this in Court seeing that it's still a very fishy practice not entirely thought of when the laws were written.

Your effectively telling me that EA making money is more important than doing the right thing by their customers

YES A MILLION TIMES YES. Doing what is right for their company, share holders, and employees is the ONLY thing that matters (within the law and regulations)

Tell me.. "do whats right for who..." right for their share holders...right for their employees...right for customers that know how to wipe backside without help?

What is right, is one persons opinion set against another's opinion. Who determines "what is right" you, me..government?

Are you a shareholder in EA.. cus if not................... WHY AGAIN DO YOU CARE ABOUT A COMPANIES PROFITS YOU NEITHER WORK FOR OR STAND TO GAIN MONEY FROM?

Your effectively telling me that EA making money is more important than doing the right thing by their customers

In your opinion...you forgot to post that bit.

In my opinion, by making money and providing the kind of content that casuals enjoy they are doing right by their customers.

Closing their doors would not be doing right by them IMO.

And no...I'm not a shareholder. I care because more profits means more content I can enjoy.

This thread is completely illogical, from the op throughout the comments. Cartel packs are not gambling, nor are they illegal.

EA is a company who profits from disposable income. They have an obligation to increase shareholder return on investment, so they have devised a legitimate, legal plan by which to do so. Your role is:

a) play the game and ignore the cartel market

b) play the game and utilize the cartel market, or

c) don't play the game

Nerdrage, hyperbole, and infatuation with playing digital barbie aside, it is really that simple.

You can play the entire game, all content, without ever once touching the cartel market.

Edited by Insidion

So, the OP wants them to get rid of the packs and just sale the items individually. Its a valid opinion, but here is the catch: if they do that, they would have to do it in a way that made them the same amount of money as they are currently making from the packs; otherwise they would be making a bad financial decision. Due to the nature of the packs, they obviously make more than they would if people could buy exactly what they want for normal prices, so if they were going to allow people to buy exactly what they want, they would have to charge extremely high prices like $100 per item. Are you willing to accept that trade OP?

snip

PS. last time I checked EA had limits to how many Cartel coins someone could buy at a time, so they are taking steps to prevent people from spending all their money.

Actually thats as much about anti-fraud as it is about anything else. yes they are in place, but mostly to limit liability if accounts get hacked =.

And i can assure you the amount it is set to, is not necessarily small.

I am a Libertarian who understands social responsibility.

I do have a problem with corporate greed

I am shocked at this statement. SHOCKED!! How did I know :d_grin:

Again stop crying for regulation of things that do not affect you. Personal responsibility. Thats what it boils down to.

This thread is completely illogical, from the op throughout the comments. Cartel packs are not gambling, nor are they illegal.

EA is a company who profits from disposable income. They have an obligation to increase shareholder return on investment, so they have devised a legitimate, legal plan by which to do so. Your role is:

a) play the game and ignore the cartel market

b) play the game and utilize the cartel market, or

c) don't play the game

Nerdrage, hyperbole, and infatuation with playing digital barbie aside, it is really that simple.

You can play the entire game, all content, without ever once touching the cartel market.

G T F O!!! We will have none of your common sense shenanigans in this thread!!

Edited by Imhotep