You know you're trying to be milked when...

AGSThomas

If it's really too high, then people won't be buying it, right?

And if people aren't buying it, then I'd expect it to drop in price relatively soon.

I'll agree that 2000 seemed higher than I expected. However, there are a lot of people who really, really want the B/B dye so they can finally feel like a truly evil character. If they're willing to pay 2000CC, then... I guess its worth it to them and I won't judge them.

I'll also admit that one of my biggest fears upon the release of the dye system was that the game was going to turn into a never-ending parade of black outfits as everyone expressed their individuality and masculine power by d****** themselves from head to toe in black. To that end, I actually place some value on limiting the supply and commonality of the B/B dyes. I'd much rather see collections of dyes missing grey/black/charcoal with various colors.

Maybe it would be nice to get a B/B dye sometime. I'll happily wait for now. I'm not having trouble finding nice colors at the moment, and I'm guessing that between the CM's new dye sales and new dye sets, the color of the B/B and W/W dyes will come down eventually.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, if they charge anybody for anything anymore, it is "milking."

This does seem to be the meta-theme in the forums since November 2012.

What it actually is, is giving us options.

Since the dyes are not in any way required.. just desired.. true. Particularly since there is an active player market on the GTNs for CM items.. so anyone averse to a real money purchase can in fact avoid it completely.

The price is outlandish, even you can't argue that it isn't. Unlike almost every other expensive CM item, it's only ONE use...making the cost that much more ridiculous.

Not really outlandish. Just different. The term is completely subjective, and depends on the player. To some.. the presence of the CM is outlandish... to some... a flexible access model is outlandish.. etc. etc.

BUT.. if we go with outlandish for the sake of discussion..... LESS outlandish then when you could only get the dyes from random packs.

Edited by Andryah

Good, cause its a vanity item.

See, you can buy yourself a regular car for a fraction of the price you pay for a ferrari, even though on city streets they will have to respect the same speed limits.

Thats what vanity is. They are also giving a choice to people who dont want to grind 6 million credits or that dont like to play the roulette with packs.

Choice is never a bad thing.

A better analogy might be...

You can buy a Ferrari for $1,500,000 but if you want it in the color of your choice, it will cost you $3,500,000.

Not really outlandish. Just different. The term is completely subjective, and depends on the player. To some.. the presence of the CM is outlandish... to some... a flexible access model is outlandish.. etc. etc.

BUT.. if we go with outlandish for the sake of discussion..... LESS outlandish then when you could only get the dyes from random packs.

Pricing is always subjective, you're right. Why would someone pay 1,200 dollars for Redsocks' playoff tix? I certainly wouldn't but there are many people who will. However, in this case, we aren't talking about something not comparable like baseball tickets. Everyone in this forum is in the same market. While its still subjective, its only to a certain point. As the OP, I tried to show something comparable. The entire RoTHC expansion being double the price of a single use dye.

As the OP, I tried to show something comparable. The entire RoTHC expansion being double the price of a single use dye.

I understand.

However... these dyes are much more rare then the RoTHC expansion. They are in fact more rare then most things in the CM. In addition.... the RoTHC is NOT a CM item. And RoTHC is a heck of a deal compared to paying your sub each month as well.. so really.. what is the point of this?

You are comparing apples and oranges.. and on the basis of the price of apples.. declaring oranges over priced.

Personally, I think the RoTHC was a heck of a deal at $10 for a subscriber. It also was not a CM item either, which I generally do not regard as a "deal" and would rather just purchase CM content from other players in game because I have a lot of in game wealth. I save my CCs for Collections unlocks.

Edited by Andryah

No no. The better word choices are ridiculous or silly. Lets be less subjective and start being more realistic. Because using words like different might as well be a poor attempt at sugar coating when in comparison to what the real issue here is.

The price of a single dye that cannot even be reused. shouldn't be more than a subscription or a expansion. It's a dye! Also if BW/whomever had been smarter about their choices/direction **** like this wouldn't be such an issue. And customers on ALL fronts wouldn't be left feeling somewhat insulted in one way or another.

blah blah so on and so-forth..

The price of a single dye that cannot even be reused. shouldn't be more than a subscription or a expansion. It's a dye! Also if BW/whomever had been smarter about their choices/direction **** like this wouldn't be such an issue. And customers on ALL fronts wouldn't be left feeling somewhat insulted in one way or another.

This is the part I agree with!

No no. The better word choices are ridiculous or silly. Lets be less subjective and start being more realistic. Because using words like different might as well be a poor attempt at sugar coating when in comparison to what the real issue here is.

Right.. because you set the rules of engagement for the discussion? Sorry.. does not work that way.

Sorry.. but while you are offended by the pricing.. does not mean everyone is. And no.. I have no use for these dyes.. so I am not discussing from a personal interest.. but rather the opposite.

The real absurdity here IMO is people being MORE offended by this direct buy price then the random-pack cost to acquire .. and the corresponding affect on GTN pricing to players buying from other players. WHY is this direct buy price worthy of so much outrage when it represents a hefty discount from the cost to acquire before the dyes went direct sale? Why is that?

Pricing is always subjective, you're right. Why would someone pay 1,200 dollars for Redsocks' playoff tix? I certainly wouldn't but there are many people who will. However, in this case, we aren't talking about something not comparable like baseball tickets. Everyone in this forum is in the same market. While its still subjective, its only to a certain point. As the OP, I tried to show something comparable. The entire RoTHC expansion being double the price of a single use dye.

People EXPLODED at having to buy the expansion (SUBS were supposed to have FREE access to all future UPDATES)...The expansion is necessary to advance past 50 in the game as such it is much more a "commodity" than a luxury. It is required to do any end game content and also required those who were free to play that wanted more than the story quests to contribute to the games development by purchasing the expansion. So in-order to not totally KILL the game, it needed to be priced at a point that ALL people would not feel both gouged AND having a return on their investment. However, a LUXURY item that also has other avenues to purchase (dye packs/GTN) can be priced at a point that it was meant to be RARE and EXPENSIVE.

Right.. because you set the rules of engagement for the discussion? Sorry.. does not work that way.

Sorry.. but while you are offended by the pricing.. does not mean everyone is. And no.. I have no use for these dyes.. so I am not discussing from a personal interest.. but rather the opposite.

The real absurdity here IMO is people being MORE offended by this direct buy price then the random-pack cost to acquire .. and the corresponding affect on GTN pricing to players buying from other players. WHY is this direct buy price worthy of so much outrage when it represents a hefty discount from the cost to acquire before the dyes went direct sale? Why is that?

Relax. Nobody is "offended" but you.

The general consensus is that the dyes are ridiculously priced. YOU may not agree with that, and that's your choice. But just because people are disgusted with the price, doesn't mean they're "offended".

It's great they added an alternative to RNG to get the dyes...the way in which they did it though, is shallow and greedy as ****!

Relax. Nobody is "offended" but you.

The general consensus is that the dyes are ridiculously priced. YOU may not agree with that, and that's your choice. But just because people are disgusted with the price, doesn't mean they're "offended".

It's great they added an alternative to RNG to get the dyes...the way in which they did it though, is shallow and greedy as ****!

No, TUXs I am not offended. Stop projecting. :)

This is a gaming forum. There is NO general consensus about anything. Which is why this discussion about the price of the dyes in direct sale continues. If there was consensus.. there would be no continuing discussion.

Stop conflating. :)

By the way... how is it greedy that they sell something for a price that is notably less then the cost to acquire the same item before it was offered for direct sale? How's that work exactly? It sounds a lot more like they changed the cost to acquire DOWNWARD both in terms of CCs and ultimately in game credit prices on the GTN.

I've noticed you pile on to the discussion multiple times in multiple threads declaring the price outrageous or ridiculous.. yet you have never provided comment as to what price would be acceptable.

Edited by Andryah

No, TUXs I am not offended. Stop projecting. :)

This is a gaming forum. There is NO general consensus about anything. Which is why this discussion about the price of the dyes in direct sale continues. If there was consensus.. there would be no continuing discussion.

Stop conflating. :)

You seemed to be offended. No projecting.

There is a general consensus. You can pretend it doesn't exist, but it does.

You seemed to be offended. No projecting.

Stop pretending you can read internet body language. :) You are not particularly good at it. ;)

There is a general consensus. You can pretend it doesn't exist, but it does.

You can pretend there is one consensus if you like.. but that is incorrect.

There are several consensus groups in the discussion. 1) Price is ridiculous, greedy, etc. 2) Price is a heft discount to prior cost to acquire. 3) It's fine, nobody is forced to buy them and they in fact have multiple ways to buy them without paying CCs.... live and let live.

At least we don't have any serious consensus group this time that it's a "slap in the face".

Edited by Andryah

Gratz to the OP, you managed to get the full parade of parrots out on their perches for this one.

"If you don't like it don't buy it" SQUAWK

"it's a vanity item, they can charge what they want" SQUAWK

"If people want to pay, let them" SQUAWK

Someone even mentioned a Ferrari again, yay! Aren't those usually red though rather than black?

Right...because complaining about the price of an item on the cartel market hasn't been repeated over and over for the past week or anything.

I think you're calling the wrong group of people the parrots.

Stop pretending you can read internet body language. :) You are not particularly good at it. ;)

You can pretend there is one consensus if you like.. but that is incorrect.

There are several consensus groups in the discussion. 1) Price is ridiculous, greedy, etc. 2) Price is a heft discount to prior cost to acquire. 3) It's fine, nobody is forced to buy them and they in fact have multiple ways to buy them without paying CCs.... live and let live.

At least we don't have any serious consensus group this time that it's a "slap in the face".

There are many more people in the 1st group than the others. (That I have seen, anyway)

There are many more people in the 1st group than the others. (That I have seen, anyway)

The point is.. there are numerous people in each of the groups I listed. The additional point is that when it comes to a complaint about something in an MMO.. the complainers are more vocal then the people without complaint.

It is pointless and completely subjective to declare any popular consensus position of 500K+ players on the basis of a few threads in a forum where only a minority of players every post anyway and those that do post tend to over-represent the negative consensus (because that is human nature.. complain when upset.. when fine, just play).

Edited by Andryah

Now your being defensive. Did I say I was setting set rules. Or have I like you pointed something out? Try again. And re-frame from accusing me of things as I have not accused you of anything.

I have no use for the dyes either. I am not speaking from a personal interest either. Again lay off the assumptions. I am looking at a bigger picture and I question the future logic behind the choices this company is making. I am able do so because I am not effected by this. However when something appears to be wrong people will say so. You more than anyone here know/do this. Why you are being so defensive? I don't know and I don't care really.

You're like a broken record so much so that you misunderstood me. I am not speaking on the GTN. Did I once ever mention in my original comment anything about the GTN? In short No! I have not have I? But since you want to bring that up. Who's fault is that? BW/whoevers poor implantation of the dyes now is it not? As for your IMO remember that your opinion isn't law or the rule in which you often hold your responses to others. You see what I just did? Don't twist The What or the Why behind why I quoted in the first place.

Now as in my response to you. Once more with feeling

Also if BW/whomever had been smarter about their choices/direction **** like this wouldn't be such an issue. And customers on ALL fronts wouldn't be left feeling somewhat insulted in one way or another.
Edited by Aizen

Right...because complaining about the price of an item on the cartel market hasn't been repeated over and over for the past week or anything.

I think you're calling the wrong group of people the parrots.

Many of the complaints have been constructive, detailing the reasons for objecting (it's not just about price, there's wider issues), suggesting solutions and compromises. All there ever seems to be in response are paraphrases of "if you don't like it, get lost".

Edited by Cernow

Many of the complaints have been constructive, detailing the reasons for objecting (it's not just about price, there's wider issues), suggesting solutions and compromises. All there ever seems to be in response are paraphrases of "if you don't like it, get lost".

That's all they have left.

Well that and the "... yes it's ridiculously expensive, but it was ridiculously-er expensive-er before!" one.

I wrote:

Your response:

You're like a broken record so much so that you misunderstood me. I am not speaking on the GTN. Did I once ever mention in my original comment anything about the GTN? In short No! I have not have I? But since you want to bring that up. Who's fault is that? BW/whoevers poor implantation of the dyes now is it not? As for your IMO remember that your opinion isn't law or the rule in which you often hold your responses to others. You see what I just did? Don't twist The What or the Why behind why I quoted in the first place.

You completely disregarded the first part of my comment so that you could try to school me on allegedly not reading and understanding what you wrote. Could you be any more ironic?

So again... why is this new sales model so rage worthy.. when the old sales model (which typically cost a player 5x as much for a B/B dye) not rage worthy?

Edited by Andryah

You missed the point - Those items can be used for the life of this game for the $40 or $50 example - once added to the collection, they can never be "lost" or "used".

A dye pack can be used for the life of the game as well. If you decide to change your armor or change the color that's on you.

I don't see why people are so stuck up about BioWare trying to create a "luxury" level with some items. They picked these two colors to be rare, and have made their availability. There are plenty of good color combos that are cheaper, or craftable, heck, even the security key dye isn't bad.

Most complaints actually have not been constructive at all, nor offered any suggestions. That is the thing about forum complaints when the players are enraged over something... they lack constructive reasoning to a large degree and instead focus on attacking anyone who wants to discuss the topic from any direction other then rage_on_Bioware. People want to vent. And when people want to vent.. they don't want to listen to reason or facts... as it does not make them feel better. But other people will enter and read a thread.. and deserve to see discussion about both sides of a topic.. not just the vent fest.

Yes.. some people have been polite and constructive in their complaints.. but they are not the majority.. so please stop with that defense. There was in fact an actual constructive thread started a few days ago asking what prices/terms would be acceptable to players.. and it has gone lost in the forum.. in favor of destructive complaint fests.

Edited by Andryah