I shouldn't have to be posting this but... DPS SUCKS.

CommanderSotelo

Wow. I've been playing this game over a year and a half now. Lots of good memories..... of how DPS merc used to be. There are just some things I'd like to address on the state of this class...

1. I understand that our play style (Arsenal at least) is more of a turret style: stay at range and kill people. But why, when they get close to us, do we now have no hope of escaping? Rocket Punch knockback was completely removed and replaced with a root instead. That's just retarded. They can instantly break the root and continue pursuing us. If it were knockback and slow or root, combined with Hydraulic Override, we can easily get a couple seconds to escape before they come at us again.

2. This isn't just a merc problem. Why have ALL classes' basic stuns been nerfed to 10 meters? We dont have any other ranged stuns except the mez. If a merc is within 10m of someone, its already too late.

3. Survivability. This has a bit to do with 1, but why is it that every time someone jumps me, I die in a few seconds? We wear "heavy" armor but it may as well be light armor. And what is it with movement speed? It doesnt seem like we have a lower movement speed than everyone else, but if someone attacks me and runs away immediately after I hit them they can run away without using high mobility abilities before I get in range to use close range CC, if electro net is on cooldown that is.

4. Armor. Ok this has nothing to do with stats but our new armor is ridiculously ugly. Just sayin'.

Some of you may think I'm just complaining to complain... but I haven't cancelled my subscription on this game once and I dont plan on doing so any time soon. I've had my Ars Merc since launch (albeit he's gone inactive several times) and I wont ever delete it. I just want the class and overall balance fixed so I can enjoy a PvP match every once in a while. Since Imps on the harbinger ALWAYS loose, I never have a chance of getting enough comms for pvp armor any way. So pleeeeeeeeease BW.... please fix us? At least put Rocket Punch knockback on again.

I find that the changes to Arsenal have been great. I can easily clear 8 medals every match and average damage would be around 500k, but if i get a good match can clear 700-800. I know its not in the mils but im happy were Arsenal merc is at now. Heatseeker hits like a friggin truck and 1v1 isnt a shut out anymore. I do agree with your anger at rocket punch, taking the knock back away was very confusing. If you arent geared yet just keep grinding believe me it gets easier.

Ty'sin Nuruodo

I love my merc now... I play him over my Marauder. I think he has better burst. They are both full Conqueror. Granted I don't play ranked so you have to take that into account. In regular warzones It takes more than one player to kill me typically and if I put my mind to escaping I survive almost every time. I am usually close to the top in kills medals and dps... Not sure what else you want the class to do for you. If you try to go toe to toe, yes you are going to loose the majority of the time. But if you keep moving, hit and fade, and kite you should do very well.

I love my merc now... I play him over my Marauder. I think he has better burst. They are both full Conqueror. Granted I don't play ranked so you have to take that into account. In regular warzones It takes more than one player to kill me typically and if I put my mind to escaping I survive almost every time. I am usually close to the top in kills medals and dps... Not sure what else you want the class to do for you. If you try to go toe to toe, yes you are going to loose the majority of the time. But if you keep moving, hit and fade, and kite you should do very well.

^^^ Well said :)

You can't play a merc like a melee and do well.

Speaking from personal experience, I think mercs are currently better off than most classes. Electronet is absolutely devastating to my powertech and my sorc. Your rotation is also a lot more mobile than that of my lightning specced sorc. I am not saying dueling a melee will be easy, but arsenal mercs really can put a world of hurt on just about anything, except maybe a very well played juggernaut that gets the drop on you.

I find my Merc DPS to be pretty legit. The strength is survivability. Hydraulic Overrides (with arsenal bonus and set bonus) along with Kolto Missile is my favorite thing about the class.

I have no trouble keeping people away:

-Electro Dart

-Rocket Punch

-Hydraulic Overrides

-Electro Net

-Jet Boost

-Power Surge + Concussion Missile

-Seismic Grenade

I save all of these specifically to deal with melee. Don't waste any of them unless someone is poking you with a saber (as a generalization).

I feel like I may have the best non-tank survivability, or at least close to the top. Every WZ I check how much damage I received and am almost always in the top 3 out of both teams, right with the healers (with similar amounts of deaths). This is because I can Hydraulic Override and run into a group of enemies, take focus fire, and retreat and heal myself up. Its psudo-tanking by absorbing damage for my teammates and presenting myself as a target. I would never dream of doing that on another toon.

Edited by DarthBloodloss

I am not a great healer and havent played any ranked wzs so take that into consideration, but Mercs are really the main class I fear as a scoundrel sawbones since they are long range, mobile, and hit hard enough

Snipers I can run from, melee I can stun and run, but Mercs are much harder for whatever reason