To crit or not to crit?

Topoff

I'm a little confused with the pve stat priority, for a while now people have been saying "you need to get rid of those crit mods and enhancements" so I did going full power.

So today I read that I should be modding a certain amount of crit. can anyone set me right on this matter and maybe give me advice on what percentage my crit/surge should be.

Also best in slot relics...what are your opinions on this? 2 proc vs 1 proc and a clicky

thanks.

you don't want crit unless it's a higher-level mod

aim > power > crit but only by an almost negligible percentage difference, so if you have a mod with aim + crit > aim + power on another, go with the crit

you'd want a comparable mod with all power over that one though

as for relics, i use 2 procs and have 1 clicky i can use to swap out if/when i need to since it's a bit better on certain fights with lots of burn phases

General rule of thumb is to get between 20 and 25% total critical chance. Going any higher than that is a waste, as you sacrifice too much power to pick up very little crit.

IDEALLY, you may want to get your Ranged/Tech Critical Chance up to 20% even and stop there. This is because you will likely pick up anoher 3-6% Critical Chance in your talent trees, depending on your spec. Leaving you around 25% then which is ideal.

To start optimizing your gear, you will want to get High POWER mods and High POWER & SURGE Enhancements in every piece of gear. You can then go with Power & Accuracy Implants if you wish (for say a gunnery DPS build), or continue with the Power/Surge ones. THEN, get main-Stat (+32Aim/+20 Endurance) MK-9 Augments. The main stat will help boost your crit as well as a little power. This will likely leave you at 19.5 or 20% Critical Chance once your suit is complete. If you feel you need more Critical Chance, you can use a Crit/Surge Ear-piece or something. But that is the general idea on how you want to gear your character, regardless of which Commando spec you're playing.

Like some have said before, you can go with a little more crit with certain specs if you wish though I wouldn't go above 25% total critical chance, IMO.

Edited by SOULCASTER

• 1 month later...

Like said above, Gunnery really does need some crit... maybe just 2 mods or 2 enhancements. In my personal testing... it was all about having enough crit to get my first tick of Full Auto to crit.

When I was running all power it seemed like my Full Auto was not getting the crits that I wanted... except for maybe the last tick... but a lot of times I was not sticking around that long for it to happen.

Now with crit.... I see this a lot.... and I love it! :cool:

Like said above, Gunnery really does need some crit... maybe just 2 mods or 2 enhancements. In my personal testing... it was all about having enough crit to get my first tick of Full Auto to crit.

When I was running all power it seemed like my Full Auto was not getting the crits that I wanted... except for maybe the last tick... but a lot of times I was not sticking around that long for it to happen.

PvE geared Sage.

No crit. Use the crit relic if you want more crits.

PvE geared Sage.

No crit. Use the crit relic if you want more crits.

Hopefully getting that relic in the next couple of days :)

And that was Power Relic going off plus I just picked up the Warzone Buff... if that Sage had PvE gear the crits would have been higher. I could be wrong but typically if somebody is wearing PvE gear, their HP will be more than 28k.

Edited by KBsFuRy

That Sage was wearing sundered light armor and wasn't even buffed. You on the other hand were buffed, stimmed and had a warzone boost and a power proc on top of that. I have hit before for similar numbers under similar circumstances with 0 crit. I don't think that this video proves the value of crit overall.

What really puzzles me is that my two favorite commando/mercenary experts are on entirely different opinions. My favorite Commando, Cash, claims that we need no crit whatsoever and we're fine with the 21-23% crit we get from Aim and talents, which is how my current gear is set up. Meanwhile, my favorite mercenary, Odawgg, claims that we need around 240 crit for 72/75 gear and over 300 crit for 78 gear! I don't know whose advice I should heed :(

Meanwhile askmrrobot's armory has not been updated to 2.4, so I can't test the stats for myself. Is there no consensus on the state of crit? I don't mind minor differences, but 0 crit and 300+ crit coming from the two people whose advice I've always followed really has me confused.

And on that topic, I would assume that the current BiS relics are the Obroan and Dread Forged power proc relics but assuming they get fixed, is the new crit proc relic better than the DF clicky power?

Edited by CommanderKeeva

What really puzzles me is that my two favorite commando/mercenary experts are on entirely different opinions. My favorite Commando, Cash, claims that we need no crit whatsoever and we're fine with the 21-23% crit we get from Aim and talents, which is how my current gear is set up. Meanwhile, my favorite mercenary, Odawgg, claims that we need around 240 crit for 72/75 gear and over 300 crit for 78 gear! I don't know whose advice I should heed :(

I can see why that might be confusing!

I think Odawgg's recommendations are for PvE; mine are for PvP. Depending on what youre doing, your stat priority is going to change a bit.

I can see why that might be confusing!

I think Odawgg's recommendations are for PvE; mine are for PvP. Depending on what youre doing, your stat priority is going to change a bit.

Okay, sorry, I was confused because the OP of the thread was asking about PvE crit optimization. In any case, what's your recommendation for the amount of crit a Gunnery Commando should take in 72/75 and 78 gear, if any?

Okay, sorry, I was confused because the OP of the thread was asking about PvE crit optimization. In any case, what's your recommendation for the amount of crit a Gunnery Commando should take in 72/75 and 78 gear, if any?

I will have to differ to what Odwagg recommends. I have next to zero experience with high level PvE (the last HM operation I ran was Denova :D)