Commando Gunnery

Celorien

Can any experinced player answer mé how gunnery dps commando is doing endgame compared to other classes ? Both pve and pvp .. Are we viable or dó i have to roll gunslinger if i like to play ranged dps ? I just love all in commando but dont wanna get my but kicked all the time in pvp or get kicked from raids cause my dps is low .. So plz help mé out here what i can expect endgame ;) and no i dont wanna spec healing , dps is my thing

Chances of being kicked or left behind because you're a gunnery commando are almost nil.

Leaving sentinels and slingers alone for the moment the alternatives are:

Guardians <- cant think of any major downsides aside from melee vs ranged issues

Vanguards <- melee with no gap closer and no armour debuff

Sages <- has no armour debuff, takes significantly more damage

Scoundrels <- melee with iffy gap closer and no armour debuff plus positioning requirement

Shadows <- melee with iffy gap closer and no armour debuff plus positioning requirement

Gunnery commando is a preferred dps class for raids.

Chances of being kicked or left behind because of the player not the class are vastly higher.

Edited by Gyronamics

Gunnery Commando is currently the best DPS spec for Commando. Assault can be made viable in PVE, and though it isn't as ideal to play for PVP, it still is possible. Gunnery is good for both PVE and PVP.

The key to playing Gunnery commando is: positioning. You have to watch where you are attacking from all the time. You can't be in the middle of the fray, and you usually don't want to be on the ground floor. You'll want to use your knock back to your advantage, whenever possible. So stay up high or near obstacles you can knock enemies off into, and you'll be doing great. Aside from that, it has rotations of attacks you'll have to learn, but that isn't hard.

Gunnery commando makes a great ranged DPS class, as well as an excellent off-healer for group mates in a pinch.

Just be sure to sit in the back and rain the dps down on the enemies. Don't be face-tanking people or playing commando like your a vanguard or you're going to get molested.

Edited by SOULCASTER

• 1 month later...

I have observed that Gunnery Commandos seem to be very much at the mercy of the gods of RNG. I've noticed about a 200-250 dps difference based 2-3% better crit rates on parses. So now I guestimate based on averages of parses.

Notwithstanding all that malarkey, their overall utility makes this a fun class to raid, providing relatively consistent damage output. Having a couple of decent Gunnery commandos in a 16-man HM/NiM is desirable in my opinion.

Have been doing progression raid on my gunnery commando for a while. Utilities make the class very valuable. Now I switched to a gunslinger because our healers are very very good and the use I get out of the kolto bomb is very limited. So I switched to my slinger where I can do higher damage and have some unique utilities.

But still if we face a fight where we are having trouble with raid wide damage I switch to my commando for the kolto bomb.