Arsenal spec, Power or Crit?

CaptainGS

Believe it or not, you should not be stacking ANY crit. This is due to the changes made to the system when 2.0 hit.

So to answer your question, you should be stacking power. For best in slot, you should be aiming for:

Accuracy (100%/110%)

Surge (71-73%)

Crit (22% ish) but that will take care of itself, don't waste any stat points in it.

Everything else power

Hope that helps.

all aim and power, sadly.

crit is pretty much only ideal over power for healers, and only up to a point.

however, that said, aim > power > crit but only by small amounts. if you have the choice between upgrading a mod, add the aim / power / crit of your current mod then compare to the new mod and take the one with the highest total.

this is especially true for unlettered mods which will have less aim than the As and Bs, but the amount of power / crit you get in exchange is well worth it

Edited by oaceen

The above two posters are almost correct. If you use Keren's merc simulator found on the mmo champion swtor forums under the arsenal merc guide you will see that a little crit is a good thing. 0 crit is a bad idea as is too much, but the sweet spot you are looking for is 240 range (will be lower than 240 in 72s).

At 240 crit rating you get just enough crit to give you that extra punch to maximize your dmg.

And yes Aim over endurance. Once your accuracy is near or at cap you can worry about your power and crit.

The above two posters are almost correct. If you use Keren's merc simulator found on the mmo champion swtor forums under the arsenal merc guide you will see that a little crit is a good thing. 0 crit is a bad idea as is too much, but the sweet spot you are looking for is 240 range (will be lower than 240 in 72s).

At 240 crit rating you get just enough crit to give you that extra punch to maximize your dmg.

And yes Aim over endurance. Once your accuracy is near or at cap you can worry about your power and crit.

Although stacking a little bit of crit is up for personal preference, I have to disagree with putting 240 points into it. That is way, way too much and is better spent in power.

Although stacking a little bit of crit is up for personal preference, I have to disagree with putting 240 points into it. That is way, way too much and is better spent in power.

Your post, is it based on any facts?

My own calculations independent of anyone elses have found low 200's to be the optimal level of crit.

If you do some calculations of how crit and power change the damage of your abilities you'll also find low 200's being the point at which power increases damage more than crit.

In full 72 I have around 1200 power and 200-odd crit.

Edited by Gyronamics

Your post, is it based on any facts?

My own calculations independent of anyone elses have found low 200's to be the optimal level of crit.

If you do some calculations of how crit and power change the damage of your abilities you'll also find low 200's being the point at which power increases damage more than crit.

In full 72 I have around 1200 power and 200-odd crit.

It is indeed based on facts. When i reached all 72's on my merc, i had relatively the same crit chance stacked as you (~200). I spent an absurd ammount of credits mod swapping for BiS. I have 1545 points in power now.

Point being, you are not going to see a higher parsing DMG output with 1200 power when you are loosing a possible ~350 power points. Just not happening.

It is indeed based on facts. When i reached all 72's on my merc, i had relatively the same crit chance stacked as you (~200). I spent an absurd ammount of credits mod swapping for BiS. I have 1545 points in power now.

Point being, you are not going to see a higher parsing DMG output with 1200 power when you are loosing a possible ~350 power points. Just not happening.

You have not said anything about the logic of what you are saying.

When calculating the effect of crit on our damage 200-odd is the point where diminishing returns reduce its effectiveness below power, that is something that can be proven to be BiS for maximum damage.

The same way it's been proven that using EWH relics to get 1500+ power is not as good as using the UW relics which are better than 120 more power.

Edited by Gyronamics