Vanguard PvP Tank

Michalrajtar

Today I had conversation with one guildmate witch play a lot of PvP. I told him that I am gathering Tanking PvP gear for upcoming arenas for my Vanguard (want to do even ranked in guild 4man team). He laughed and said that Vanguards Tanks in PvP are ****** and they are far far behind guardians, so I should gear up my Guardian. Vanguard is ma main but I played in mostly as DPS so what is your advice?

My advice is to play what you enjoy, as naturally you will play it better and put the time and effort to gear up and become better.

I've played my VG in PvP as both DPS and tank, and I have to say, I've greatly enjoyed tanking more. Though it is something you'll definitely want to roll with if you're grouped with friends/guild mates, as in a lot of cases (in my experience) getting any heal love as a tank (VG tank, at least) is all but impossible of you're going in "solo".

Now I tend to stay away from slotting Storm when I PvP, mostly cause everything I read says it can bug out. So with that out it can sometimes make things difficult, as we lack the guardian leap, but harpoon can work just as effectively.

tl;dr

Try it out as a tank for a bit, see if you enjoy it and go from there. Enjoyment should be the key :)

vg/pt tanks are a joke. Pyro is still the way to go for pvp. AP sucks even after they buffed it.

Thanks for not backing up cliams

Tactics pulse cannon is scary with its new 90% snare particularly when dealing with tank/heal combos

Tank VG are perfectly viable, I've been maining one since 1.2, I have zero difficulty taking mine into competative PvP, sure VG isn't the optimal PvP tank but we function well within reasonable expectation.

TLDR VG while sub optimal are perfectly competative in the hands of the right player.

I've been working on my PT tank again, getting ready for arenas. I've used all 3 types of tanks now. Guardian/Jug might be my first choice, I just don't enjoy it enough to level up. My PT and Sin are 55.

I think PT Tanks work great, especially since 2.0. They've got an AOE stun, grapple, jump, aoe attack, healing attack, mitigation rotation, 2 cooldowns, heavy armor and hold the line.. They are not lacking in utility, just a different playstyle. Your skill as a tank is going to make more of a difference than your class choice 90% of the time. It's just that other 10%-20% where the intercede could get you to your guard target faster than hold the line or where a better cooldown would of kept you alive. For me thats not worth playing a jug, personal choice.

Off the topic, Middle tree dps if played right is the same dps as pyro now (pre 2.4), with twice the survivability. Trust me, I REALLY wanted to play pyro 2.0, it's just twice as many deaths in most matches.