Removing f2p restrictions for warzones is unfair

falcon_Xtreme

why stop there? why not remove f2p restrictions for pve too because that is what will be next......if you head down that avenue. then bioware... tell me the what the hell will be the point of a subscription . I have maintained two subscriptions since launch (me and the ball and chain aka wife) and max rep well and truly with your gamble bag cartel scheme, the crappy 625 cartel coins you give me a month barely buys anything of real value. what's the incentive to pay to play anymore...

have no idea what is yr incentive to pay for swtor. do u know? is it 625 cartel coins? or may be pvp - then u have to be happy! but wait..

I cannot see them removing any reason as to why you would need a sub if there are 0 restrictions on f2p on anything PvP. Ranked will still require a sub which is a good thing and its also a good thing that a f2p player can now enjoy endless reg matches while leveling to get a feel for PvP and a taste of arenas.

And that "endless regs enjoyment"? It is going to vastly improve the reg experience most have. People complain about "F2P" bads, not realizing they're terrible because five warzones a week is nowhere near enough to L2P. I myself used to be terribad until the first time I bought a WZ pass. There's a 100% guarantee that full access to Regs for PvP = Greater numbers for player and an overall skill cap increase.

but at least they're now trying

More than what we've had so i'll take it. Im just glad the PvP community is getting some love for once. SWTOR has the potential to be an extremely competitive arena-based PvP game. They have plenty of models to look at and I think they will make the right decisions. Hopefully....

PVP needs as large a base as possible to have any realistic chance of success. Large bases prevent situations like running into the same ******es who stomp the crap out of you for hours. removing F2p restrictions can only be good for pvp Edited by Raazmir

I think there will be enough people who only want to do arenas. ... all they need to do is keep their sub to partake.

I see it working out well.

I don't. Since arenas will not be ranked-only, no one's going to keep their sub up solely for the purpose of having a little number affected by the outcome of their matches.

Correction: no one that wouldn't keep their sub up anyway, because it affects so many far more important things, like being able to have money, earn reputation, level alts with ease. Money matters always, reputation is big for vanity gear and titles, alts are the lifeblood of pre-endgame. Being or not being rated for doing the same thing, not so much.

The restriction of RWZ to active subs only made little sense to begin with, may have contributed to the death of RWZ, and it will make even less sense post 2.4, when you could actually sell ranked access as part of the WZ pass. They don't restrict Nightmare Ops to active subs only, and the top difficulty NiM ops community is far smaller and more exclusive than even the RWZ community.

Edited by B-Dick

Bioware knows what subscribers spend most of their time doing.

Bioware knows what people who buy CC spend their time doing.

Bioware knows where their money comes from.

PvE is where the money is at.

This is why PvE gets so much more attention than PvP. Bioware has made the decision that removing restrictions on what is essentially a mini-game will help turn more F2P people, who are trying out the game, into subscribers.

Sucks for the PvPers that do spend money to support the game, but there just aren't enough of you to justify the expense of added attention. (also not enough to risk pissing off PvEers with "class-balancing" that is good for PvP but ruins PvE, so stop holding your breath for that)

On the positive side, if this is all you do, you just saved $15 a month.

why stop there? why not remove f2p restrictions for pve too because that is what will be next......if you head down that avenue. then bioware... tell me the what the hell will be the point of a subscription . I have maintained two subscriptions since launch (me and the ball and chain aka wife) and max rep well and truly with your gamble bag cartel scheme, the crappy 625 cartel coins you give me a month barely buys anything of real value. what's the incentive to pay to play anymore...

we each have our cost-benefit analyses in regards to how we spend our time and our money on swtor. For me, being a subscriber only makes sense for me until my new university admin job starts since I wont have the flexibility to set my own hours and wont play as much.

Bioware runs its own cost-benefit analysis on various aspects of the game (they probably have charts, and powerpoint presentations, and revenue and demographic data and they sit in meetings where they talk about things and use laser pointers and half the people at the meeting are playing star wars angry birds and not paying attention IM LOOKING AT YOU JOSH)

-ahem-

they have decided to reduce the Free to Play restrictions probably because they believe that investing in adding more new players will generate greater revenue than investing in subscriber retention. it's nothing personal. it's just business.

this is only the second mmo i have played, (I never took any interest in World of Warcraft, and the settings of other mmos didnt do anything for me. most still don't. elder scrolls online has caught my eye.) my previous mmo was Star Trek Online which started as a subscription service only. no Free to Play whatsoever. As the game approached its 2 year anniversary, it had lost so many players that i often felt i was wandering around the galaxy alone, and as such i got bored and stopped playing. Then they added a much more open Free to Play system, with a subscription option that really only appeals to serious end-game players. When i found that out i went back and saw the game was flooded with new players and it became fun again. Oh you should see the great fleets of ships around Deep Space Nine and Earth Spacedock. And based on how many players are wandering around using stuff bought with $$ on their version of the cartel market, it looks like they remain profitable enough to not just to keep the servers online and maintained, but to pay developers to generate new content (an entire faction no less)

What good is my $14.99 a month compared to adding 50 players, 10 of whom will each pay 20-80 dollars on impulse for that really cool romulan warbird and that defiant with the quad cannons?

Also. in my very humble and personal opinion, new players (colloquially n00bs) are much more fun to be around than cranky elder game players. (not you of course. you seem to have legitimate concerns)

Bioware knows what subscribers spend most of their time doing.

Bioware knows what people who buy CC spend their time doing.

Bioware knows where their money comes from.

PvE is where the money is at.

This is why PvE gets so much more attention than PvP. Bioware has made the decision that removing restrictions on what is essentially a mini-game will help turn more F2P people, who are trying out the game, into subscribers.

Sucks for the PvPers that do spend money to support the game, but there just aren't enough of you to justify the expense of added attention. (also not enough to risk pissing off PvEers with "class-balancing" that is good for PvP but ruins PvE, so stop holding your breath for that)

On the positive side, if this is all you do, you just saved $15 a month.

there are no words that describe how much i dislike elder game PVE. and using group finder for flashpoints can be a disaster. i did terror from beyond and did just fine but before they even let me try my hand at the final boss thing, they told me to either get teamspeak or similar, or leave. then I joined a pve guild and i had to get mumble, and that was not only really distracting while i was trying to play, but there was so much mmo jargon, complaining, and complete lack of excitement at anything except finally grinding enough commendations to get some Ridiculous looking piece of gear that i wanted to stab my ears with chopsticks.

PVE is boring anyway. the mechanics of each flashpoint or op only change when they patch them or add new stuff. the only thing that changes are the people you're with and...well... see above.

PVP is dynamic. every match is different because players are constantly trying new things, and different players are joining or leaving. theres a flux of which faction has the upper hand at any given time. its a fascinating social environment.

and instead of getting kicked because you aren't an expert at a storymode flashpoint the first time you play it, you can just make **** players go away by clicking ignore. then they never get matched with you again :D

and like you said, PVE is where the money is.

but the question is where will the money be next quarter? if they can expand and improve pvp while attracting new players through lifting f2p restrictions on it, will those new players be the sort that throw $$ at the game like i do?

or maybe it is the people who like socialization, community, and RP that will yield greater revenue. one of the things that has really kept Star Trek Online alive despite having inferior.... well.... everything except space combat, is their infinitely more sophisticated guild system. you dont just get a bank and some ranks, you get a *********** star base that members can contribute resources to in order to improve it, unlocking new and better gear through cooperation.

in my opinion, BW is trying to make up for the lack of cross server ques, the match making system with 2.4 with three types of ques = ranked arena, non ranked arena, and solo wz ques will stall the que times and make it almost hair pullingly frustrating. to compensate for this with out adding cross server ques they are going to make it free to F2P players hoping it will work some how.

with the fail change with resolve in patch 1.4 the CC will make most new pvpers to the game cringe and recede from gameplay.