Just came back to the game...Vanguards are terrible?

Griftter

I really wanted to pick back up on my 40 Vanguard. But everything I read is there least desirable spec/tank in both PVE and PVP?

Is this true? And if so is there any light at the end of the tunnel with known buffs coming in the next patch?

Thanks in advance.

As far as PvE is concerned, guardians are really pretty strong tanks right now. Their threat issues pre 2.0 have been addressed and they got some love in the cd department.

Shadows have either gotten spikier or it's just that end game content has more damage spikes. Either way, shadows are typically more of a liability in end game content than the heavy armor wearers. They still have the highest mean mitigation, but they are harder to heal (require more healer attention) than they did pre 2.0.

In my opinion, vanguards are kind of the middle of the road tank. The only thing they really lost much of was the rework on adrenaline rush. They are functional if not overly fancy.

I would place guardians above vanguards in overall tank class quality, but for end game content, I think they're still preferable to a shadow in most scenarios.

Beware the Hyperbole Dragon, it's well-known to be all over in the SWTOR forums. But even then, most of the comments on Vanguards needing tweaks, or the over the top (over the top because you can play the game well with any spec) "OMG, Vanguards suck now!" are from people looking at Assault spec. And to a lesser extent, Tactics (although I do pretty decent on my Tactics Vanguard in WZs).

I haven't heard there being any real issues with Shield Spec in PVP.

I love my shield tank in both PVE and PVP. In PVE trooper has probably been the most fun class for me to play and I've yet to have any issues with any of the PVE content. However in PVP I've heard once you reach rank Vanguard is not the greatest.