Merc or Pt

laduches

I'm pretty new to Kotor, i already have a marauder and i just make a Bounty hunter. From what i read, the PT is broken...and the Merc is passable, but all i read is for the PvP. I only play in PvE, dont plan to play PvP . For the PvE, are those two class fun ? I like to do group quest and flashpoint too, will i have problem finding groups ?

Also for the BH, suggestions on the skill class ? i was thinking about Armortech.

For pve, both are perfectly viable, if not great. Mercenary, as is, is best tank/single target healer, with one nice aoe thrown in, and another aoe heal if spec'd for it. Mercenaries are also great dps, for pve. They're like a moveable turret, and can dish out some pretty high damage. And as dps and healers, they have nice survivability, with being heavy armor and all, and some nice defensive buffs.

As for powertech, they're great tanks, and can start soloing heroics and whatnot quite early, with mako by their side. Working with their different forms of aoes is a bit of a challenge at first, but great once you get the hang of it. Powertech tanks get 5 aoes by level 25. Also, powertech is melee for the most part. A few 30m skills, but most are 10-4m ranged skills. Still uses blaster pistol though. Idk much about pve powertech dps, but I myself would probably prefer mercenary for bounty hunter, if you're going dps.

As far as the crew skills go, biochem is the best crafting skill. And can make a lot of money end-game (would be ideal to level bioanalysis and diplomacy, for mat gathering). As far as money making, go with slicing, treasure hunting and underworld trading, if you just want to make money.

Both are great choices. It all depends on what you like to do. PT is mainly a tank. Merc can be healer, or dps. I personally went the Merc Pyrotech route. Mainly because I like the AOE abilities. Plus I am more of a dps person than a tank. And I mostly play PVE with some FP, OPs and WZs. As for crafting, I went with armortech with slicing and scavaging. Some go with armstech too.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty new to Kotor, i already have a marauder and i just make a Bounty hunter. From what i read, the PT is broken...and the Merc is passable, but all i read is for the PvP. I only play in PvE, dont plan to play PvP . For the PvE, are those two class fun ? I like to do group quest and flashpoint too, will i have problem finding groups ?

Also for the BH, suggestions on the skill class ? i was thinking about Armortech.

1. Kotor is another game, this game is named SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic). :p

2. PT or Merc? The question is what and how you like to play. PT is Close to mid range (4-15 meter, with a few 30 meter ranged) and the Merc is ranged (30 meters, with a few close range). As the PT you can spec into tank and as a Merc you can go healer.

As for DPS, at the moment the Merc does more damage, but remember, this is a MMO, things will change. My self I play a PT with a pyro build and I only do warzone's, and I still have fun even though I dont do the most damage.

3. "Dont Plan" to do PvP? You my friend are missing out on something that is FUN as ****!

If you are playing on Jung Ma, the PvP Community is "slowly" starting a "Adopt a noob" program (a new player gets help with skill tips, getting correct gear and augments. Stuff like that) something that my own GM does every now and then. I can even offer to help ya myself if you go with PT, if you want to. That is if you play on Jung Ma. ;)

4. PT and Merc fun to play? YOU BET!!! :D

//Rona

Edited by Strumpan_SWE

Don't let the forums try to trick you. Pt dps is fine. The ones that are complaining are hardcore pvpers and, well, they would complain no matter what. They are always wanting themselves to be the best when it's just not possible.

With that said my two favorite classes are arsensl merc and ap pt. I have no problem doing hm ops or pvp on either. It all comes down to whether you like being up close and personal with very good mobility or if you like being more of a back line nuker with less need to move. I will point out that I can usually solo more group content on my pt usually due to instant abilities as my mercs castec abilities get interrupted more easily from knock backs and such.

Don't let the forums try to trick you. Pt dps is fine. The ones that are complaining are hardcore pvpers and, well, they would complain no matter what. They are always wanting themselves to be the best when it's just not possible.

With that said my two favorite classes are arsensl merc and ap pt. I have no problem doing hm ops or pvp on either. It all comes down to whether you like being up close and personal with very good mobility or if you like being more of a back line nuker with less need to move. I will point out that I can usually solo more group content on my pt usually due to instant abilities as my mercs castec abilities get interrupted more easily from knock backs and such.

Your first motivator should be which play style fits you best.

That being said, Arsenal merc is much more capable of kicking *** than PT. Not saying PT sucks, but they aren't in a great spot compared to other classes.

Back to 1 month ago.

I rolled a Mercenary and, shortly after, a Powertech.

My idea was to go with the Merc, he has amazing good dps, healings, cool animations and 2 guns style which looks totally awsome.

Alongside i was playing with PT as well, even if it was my secondary choice.

It was around level 20 that i changed my mind... I started to love PT "bold" style, to crush things face-to-face, use the blades (specced AP for the levelling), and fire, fire everywhere!

Result?

My PT is 55 now, respecced tank and extremely funny to play... Even as a tank, it's kinda quick to take down things when it comes to solo-dailies...

I'm still amused with Merc even if i definetly prefer PT's style.

It's all about style.

Try both, and go for the one which you feel better.

Edited by drGudo

Hello,

From the beginning I wanted to have BH as my tank/dps, and SInq as my healer. I've been hearing a lot of complaints about PT being a tank these days. Should I go by the plan, or should I switch BH into Merc healer, and SInq into Sin tank?

They complain about Powertech DPS, as tank it's a great class even if Jugg is better (so the "pro" said) for endgame tanking.

Also, Assassin is considered the worst tank at the moment.

I'm not into nightmare operations or any hardcore endgaming, and my PT tank is absolutely viable and great to play.

I'd follow the original plan if i were you then.

Edited by drGudo

• 3 weeks later...

You should consider Merc or just another class. PT is pretty bad in terms of soloing stuff early on. He has nothing to take an enemy out of combat and Mako is pretty useless. The heals aren't that great and she is pretty unreliable.

My Sniper could do 2+ Stuff much easier just because of his great damage. Other classes like healers are great as well with tank companions. PT-BH is the worst class for soloing imho.

Edited by Ricul

You should consider Merc or just another class. PT is pretty bad in terms of soloing stuff early on. He has nothing to take an enemy out of combat and Mako is pretty useless. The heals aren't that great and she is pretty unreliable.

My Sniper could do 2+ Stuff much easier just because of his great damage. Other classes like healers are great as well with tank companions. PT-BH is the worst class for soloing imho.

I find it a very easy class to solo with(no matter level). Thus most likely have to do with playstyle.

... in the end, go with what "You" find to be the most fun. :)

Finding it fairly easy to solo stuff on my pyro PT also. Am on Belsaavis(?) atm and just hit lvl40. (Started there about 38).

I've found i can solo elite stuff that has about 20-30k health fairly well so far with Mako healing me. That probably will change but having fun so not too worried about it. :)

As for which to play, i always go by what others have said. Just play the one you like and have fun with and don't worry if it might be useful end game. What's not good now can be overpowered a few months down the line with patches and such. (Then again it may not but who knows?)

Edited by kamxam