Can TOR join on the user created content bandwagon ?

Angedechu

I really don't understand why anyone would oppose a Foundry. No one is suggesting that players create progression raids or flashpoints. The point is that they could create story missions as a substitute for daily quests and other such drivel.

Or are we really sitting here arguing that Bioware writes amazing daily quest lines filled with alien dialogue gibberish? Even most of the flash-points and side quests are essentially trashy fan fiction with hilariously binary (and often arbitrary) choices.

But oh noes, Timmy647 wrote a really stupid adventure. Let me go back to talking to that random Bioware NPC who's going to send me out to click on three sensor dishes for the 400th time. Now that is some professional quality content!

Well said, but it will fall on deaf ears here.

Boosters of TOR actually think that because Random NPC #428 tells them to go kill 200 Rahkghouls to earn xps, that it is somehow different from just going out in the wilderness and killing 200 Rahkghouls on your own. One is "story driven content", the other is "grinding".

I don't see user created content coming to TOR ever. In part because of the license and also due to the closed and linear design of the game.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure about that... I mean, Blizzard has never even added housing - which a lot more of their players have been clamoring for than for UGC.

Normally I expect them to ste... err "borrow" everything that they consider good ideas from the competition.

So either they think housing and UGC are crappy ideas, or there are some technical reasons as to why they don't do it.

Their official stance on housing has always been that it sucks players out of the capital cities into empty dead space that kills the community and atmosphere. They haven't said "never, ever" but it's not going to be implemented because they put the question out that if there were housing, how would you design it to be community-friendly and inclusive? And there's never been a good answer that's come forward.

If enough players DEMANDED it, they'd force it in. That was the case for Transmogrification because the devs wanted players to be able to identify what was coming at you by their gear and visual style, but that was a weak arguement in a game full of druids, noggenfoggers, and savory deviate delights. I'm glad the players won that eventually. :D

I actually really liked how LOTRO handled housing, with racial neighborhoods in starting areas that were instanced, but you had a house and yard in a map with other players, so you might see someone decorating or having a party outdoors as you go to your own home, but still have private, private space indoors. Also liked how there were bigger and smaller houses in the same neighborhood for different rent amounts, and guild mansions in the corners. And if people didn't keep up on rent, they could lose the house to the next person willing to pay so there wasn't dead space.

Edited by ImpactHound

Their official stance on housing has always been that it sucks players out of the capital cities into empty dead space that kills the community and atmosphere. They haven't said "never, ever" but it's not going to be implemented because they put the question out that if there were housing, how would you design it to be community-friendly and inclusive? And there's never been a good answer that's come forward.

If enough players DEMANDED it, they'd force it in. That was the case for Transmogrification because the devs wanted players to be able to identify what was coming at you by their gear and visual style, but that was a weak arguement in a game full of druids, noggenfoggers, and savory deviate delights. I'm glad the players won that eventually. :D

Ah, thanks - I never knew what their official stance on it was beyond the obvious "no". :p

And yeah, adding Transmogrification was a good thing, especially when faced with every other MMO having some kind of customization - it would've been silly of the devs to stick with the original (and widely perceived outdated) design.

Ah, thanks - I never knew what their official stance on it was beyond the obvious "no". :p

And yeah, adding Transmogrification was a good thing, especially when faced with every other MMO having some kind of customization - it would've been silly of the devs to stick with the original (and widely perceived outdated) design.

What's funny is they contradict it with their own daily design - trying to suck people out of capital cities and roam the world.

No they're just against it because it's more work for them and/or they don't know how to implement it "correctly"

And of course, having millions more people than anyone else still paying them gives them the confidence to not follow anyone else's lead in that department.

Well, NWN was never thought of as "MMO", it just allowed multiplayer for few people, just like Dungeons and Dragons, so I would not use that for comparison.

Also, player generated content is easily abused (someone is bound to make mission "click here for full Kell Dragon" or "go here for bajillion credits") so there would need to be ridiculously complex system for checking all new created content before integrating it.

Second, BW said (regarding possibility of Dragon age 3 toolset, but it applies here as well) that the problem of releasing SDKs for their newer games is that they do not own the engine, so it is always needed to have lengthy negotiations with the owners of engine and of course, paying the owners significant sum of cash.

He is speaking of the MMO Neverwinter Online. Pretty fun with an awesome Foundry.

He is speaking of the MMO Neverwinter Online. Pretty fun with an awesome Foundry.

I did have some fun with it but in the end I found it was really just too limited (to prevent exploits, some of which still happened anyway). For the most part all the content was the same in there.

He wasn't talking about Neverwinter Nights the Bioware game, he was talking about "Neverwinter" the MMO that PWE/Cryptic Studios came out with earlier this year.

As for abusing the toolset in that game, not very likely - it has restrictions up the wazoo to prevent that kind of stuff.

Much to the chagrin of people that want to exploit it, you should see the complaints about the rewards some time. :p

As already said in the thread, the Neverwinter people speak of with the UGC is NOT NWN. It's the Neverwinter Online that just came out months ago. And you saying "a long time ago" shows you don't know what people are speaking on when they mention Neverwinter. Plus you said "levels" which again shows you are speaking not of the MMO.

The OP writes about Neverwinter Nights (by mistake, probably), which is confusing as hell to many people. NWN allowed UCG and it had a multiplayer to simulate Dungeons and Dragons. Just to help you people understand where that confusion comes from.

The OP writes about Neverwinter Nights (by mistake, probably), which is confusing as hell to many people. NWN allowed UCG and it had a multiplayer to simulate Dungeons and Dragons. Just to help you people understand where that confusion comes from.

OP called it an MMO too in the same sentence. That was clue enough that it was the thing Cryptic released recently and not NWN. Cryptic just calls it Neverwinter. The people call it Neverwinter Online to help save this confusion. OP didn't but most do.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo