Non-passive pets

DOHboy

Ability added to whatever pet is summoned that would make the pet a non-passive observer that can varies depending on the selected "stance". For instance one type would add a constant HoT that would do a constant 1% heal every 2 or 3 seconds. Another would be a ranged DPS that does set damage as ranged every few seconds to whatever target is being attacked. Third would add a small shield capable of absorbing a %damage or add %reduction. Idea is similar to the probes many bosses use that are part of their mechanics that make the pet a useful item to have out and encourage their use. It would be independent of the pet type and tied only to the class. Only one active at a time, only 1 pet, and would not be active in OPS, flashpoints, or groups.

The ability would be such that it adds something, but not enough where it would be "required". Examples would be lore wise my tuantaun ram stench is such that it causes any enemy attacking me to become confused and have a reduced damage output. My venom lylek spit causes a 200 damage to any attacker every 3 seconds. The lylek can produce a substance that can heal small wounds providing 500 health every 3 seconds.

graphically would not require any changes to the pet, just an ability tied to my character that provides a small benefit from a pet other than aesthetics.

That basically making them active companions not pets. Any change on a pet that would have a positive effect on your fights would no longer become a optional vanity/cosmetic and would thus become required. Maybe one use for pets would be to go on discovery routes that reveals where the quest givers are or something like that might be useful.

Like companions?

companions have much more active skills, this would simply be a means of making them available while soloing to make things interesting.

can it at least get in their way every now and then?