Game performance is getting really bad

Anosa

The games performance for me and I know others has been getting really bad recently...

Between jumpy FPS and what appears to be latency issues (I have 25 mbps internet, its not me) it's getting really hard to deal with. I have a pretty good PC as well, i can play current games on high (GW2, BF3, Crysis, Assassins Creed). After what seems to be the past 6 weeks of patches it all has gone down hill, i used to run with no issues and recently it is very noticeable, especially on the fleet and in Warzones. Being a PC tech and beginner programmer, I understand how this all can be rough to deal with and sometimes VERY difficult to pinpoint. I am asking if anyone knows if this is being looked into? I cant imagine how poor it has to be for people with lower end gaming systems.

Edited by Anosa

I especially notice this on Ilum now.

Runs absolutely horrible there. And somehow worse at Xeno, even though it's a very small area.

Makes it rather hard to play when you click an ability and it can run instantly, or sometimes takes have a waiting time before it actually happens on screen. Then it doesn't just affect performance of the game on my screen, but also that of my toon :/

It will continue to be bad. It has been bad since the game launched. It's a combination of a pre-alpha engine they wasted their money on, a poorly designed database network, and all the necro'd posts being dug up lately.

One thing I can tell you, the longer your session is, the worse it gets. Log out once in a while and log back in. They have some kinda memory leak as well.

The necro'd post thing was sarcasm, but I really wish whoever is digging that crap up would stop.

Edited by johnduane

It will continue to be bad. It has been bad since the game launched. It's a combination of a pre-alpha engine they wasted their money on, a poorly designed database network, and all the necro'd posts being dug up lately.

One thing I can tell you, the longer your session is, the worse it gets. Log out once in a while and log back in. They have some kinda memory leak as well.

Yeah...this is incorrect. Honestly it has only kinda gotten bad now. I don't believe there is a memory leak, least I never get one, even if my performance degrades. But at times I have noticed the disk going bonkers.

Edit: Not saying the engine is good, yada yada...but performance has never really been an issue.

Edited by Hockaday

Yeah...this is incorrect. Honestly it has only kinda gotten bad now. I don't believe there is a memory leak, least I never get one, even if my performance degrades. But at times I have noticed the disk going bonkers.

Edit: Not saying the engine is good, yada yada...but performance has never really been an issue.

Actually, performance has been a major issue for a whole lotta people with higher end computers forever. This is not a new issue by any means.

Actually, performance has been a major issue for a whole lotta people with higher end computers forever. This is not a new issue by any means.

Don't know what to tell you then. Bad parts I guess. I run a decent computer, never had issues. This is what happens with gaming on windows...get used to it.

If you're wondering, 2500k and 6870 2gb.

TOR is awful on many really good computers. You just need to upgrade to NASA-grade stuff to be sure the game runs smooth. Makes you wonder what $200 million was spent on.

the funny thing about that is the game runs fine on my crapy 3 year old i3 and I don't get disconnects or lag and even get decent frame rates fighting the WB on ilum in full 20 man ops

where my roommates less then a year old I7 beast of a machine constantly lags and kills his performance, now I don't run with shadows or AA but the difference in performance is night and day on our computers, though I seem to get more ability misfires where he says he rarely ever has that problem

I7 2700K @ 4.4ghz and 2x GTX 460s on a SSD. 60fps (capped) on maximum settings unless I'm in a busy area on the fleet. 40-50% usage on my GPUs.

Some builds probably have more problems, but the performance has been seriously improving since 1.4. Oh the days of a shaky 30fps on the player ships at 100% GPU usage...

I run Windows 7 64-bit on a Sony VAIO laptop. The performance, for me, has been up and down since launch day. Lately, it's been at a low point. It's not the worst that I've seen it (Alderaan is the bane of my existence-- so many trees to render) but it's hasn't been running at peak efficiency, either. I'm also noticing more latency issues, and more crashing. I think SWTOR has crashed more in the last couple months, for me, than it has in the whole year and half preceding that. Clearly, something's not right.

I7 2700K @ 4.4ghz and 2x GTX 460s on a SSD. 60fps (capped) on maximum settings unless I'm in a busy area on the fleet. 40-50% usage on my GPUs.

Some builds probably have more problems, but the performance has been seriously improving since 1.4. Oh the days of a shaky 30fps on the player ships at 100% GPU usage...

Other way around for me. At the beginning of January 2012 I bought a new computer to play this game specifically. It worked great; I had no lag whatsoever and played with the highest graphical settings, no problem.

When 1.3 launched, something broke the game for me and I began to experience rubberbanding:

http://youtu.be/A6oRTlRdC-c

Ever since it has just gotten a lot worse. Sometime during 1.3 I upgraded my bandwidth since I was plagued with disconnects and had been for many years. My new internet speed is this: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2877874235

Which isn't too bad... the funny thing is, when I upgraded absolutely nothing changed. When 1.6 was introduced I began to experience Ghost GCDs a lot more often. Ghost GCDs were an issue back at launch, I read everywhere, but back in those days I couldn't really feel it. Since 1.6 I feel it a lot. Especially in crowded areas such as Ilum where you can get several ghost GCDs in a row, making for a really clunky gaming experience.

So no, there is nothing wrong with my hardware or my bandwidth, there is something wrong with this game. Almost everyone I know in the game suffers from rubberbanding and ability delay and a lot of pvp videos that I watch it is very noticable that the rubberbanding is a common issue. If it was indeed the fault of my machine then why does WoW and GW2 run flawlessly?

During the lay-offs they must have fired the wrong guys...

The games performance for me and I know others has been getting really bad recently...

Between jumpy FPS and what appears to be latency issues (I have 25 mbps internet, its not me) it's getting really hard to deal with. I have a pretty good PC as well, i can play current games on high (GW2, BF3, Crysis, Assassins Creed). After what seems to be the past 6 weeks of patches it all has gone down hill, i used to run with no issues and recently it is very noticeable, especially on the fleet and in Warzones. Being a PC tech and beginner programmer, I understand how this all can be rough to deal with and sometimes VERY difficult to pinpoint. I am asking if anyone knows if this is being looked into? I cant imagine how poor it has to be for people with lower end gaming systems.

you're talking about the Frankenstein game engine Bioware is using, and the clueless professionals looking after it.

Well, this is what I have noticed...and this isn't meant to be the last word. Just my experience.

I noticed that before the launch of collections things were poor but relatively stable....I usually averaged around 40 FPS, higher in some planetary areas, lower when on speeders. At some points on speeders I would drop to 10 FPS and just got used to it. Also had speeders flashing in and out of existence.

After collections was added I started to get severe lag spikes that would last around 10 seconds or so...and textures/objects started to take forever to load shortly thereafter.

The lag spikes have diminished lately, to maybe once or twice a week for me, but the objects and textures still take a noticeable amount of time to load. I'm not sure what they changed, but I'm even getting load screens from speeder runs sometimes.

I can live with it, but it is a noticeable quality issue that I would prefer is corrected at some point...that is assuming it is not a problem on my end, which is certainly possible.

Thats true.

Game perfomance become really low since recent patches.

I was having a REALLY low PC configuration, so i decided to upgrade.

After that game was running almost perfect.

But then patches been released, and perfomance drop down.