Alternative to PvP in Gree.

OldRepJedi

So I was thinking about this and reading forums for a good suggestion for the PvP differences in the Gree area.

Some people say deal with it, others want it removed. How about the option to turn it off on PvE servers? But turning it off would not get you the same amount of rep as having it on would. I would be fine with this. There should also be a reward for completing all the weekly things in the Gree area, like in BH or Sec X. I would totally support that. Some credz, rep, and maybe 2 of the Gree parts so you can get sabers, guns, mounts...etc. Cause let's face it. It's hard enough to come by those parts anyway unless you do Xeno and the other 2 bosses in the caves. But I think it might be better for PvE players. I don't PvP, I don't want to PvP and I think anyone who doesn't like the PvE aspect of this game and rolls on a PvE server just to enact their sadistic tendencies are little b*****s. So BW, save the PvE vs PvP arguments of the Gree area and do something like this.

Ya know what would also work? Not taking PvP missions. Just because you don't PvP, doesn't mean you should be immune from completing PvP content for the reward. PvPers don't get to bypass PvE content for the PvE rewards...you're not a special snowflake.

The thing is though, the appeal and design of those couple quests were designed with PvP in mind. Remove the PvP and they are nothing. They are simple retrieve missions (the PvP is part of why the cubes work the way they do)

The quests would need to be redesigned to not have PvP.

The simple fact is that Ilum is PvP planet. It has been that way since launch. Be happy that they did not make the entire event PvP (even though I prefer to PvE I would argue that the entire event should be PvP based on its location).

Ya know what would also work? Not taking PvP missions. Just because you don't PvP, doesn't mean you should be immune from completing PvP content for the reward. PvPers don't get to bypass PvE content for the PvE rewards...you're not a special snowflake.

Please think before you answer, this is not a solution as you basically can not avoid being attacked due to mechanics. It just does not work.

Ya know what would also work? Not taking PvP missions. Just because you don't PvP, doesn't mean you should be immune from completing PvP content for the reward. PvPers don't get to bypass PvE content for the PvE rewards.

/Agree.

OP, play the game as designed and as implemented. The Gree event is designed the way it is......ON PURPOSE. It's also optional content, you don't have to do it if you don't like the mechanics in which it is presented to you. ;)

Please think before you answer.

Ironic IMO.

TUXs and I don't agree often, but one thing I know from having many discussions with him over the last year is that he DOES think things through before he posts.

Don't like PvP.. don't take the PvP quests AND don't PvP.

Edited by Andryah

If you are on a PvE server and don't want to to PVP, then don't do PvP. It's easy, just don't try to do PvP quests and don't go to one of the two places in the entire universe that will get your flag raised.

This should probably be tattooed (in mirror image of course) on peoples foreheads, and include a free face mirror for self-reflection. :D

Edited by Andryah

I am pretty much the biggest carebear around. Matter-o-fact, I self-nominate myself as the player representative for carebears.

My prowess as a giant carebear provides much wisdom and I have a secret for avoiding PVP in the Gree event. Right now I will tell it to you free of charge.

Do NOT take missions from the mission terminal that have "PVP" in or near the title.

Edited by TheBBP

I am pretty much the biggest carebear around. Matter-o-fact, I self-nominate myself as the player representative for carebears.

My prowess as a giant carebear provides much wisdom and I have a secret for avoiding PVP in the Gree event. Right now I will tell it to you free of charge.

Do NOT take missions from the mission terminal that have "PVP" in or near the title.

You really should charge for this amazing wisdom.

Which mechanics on non-pvp missions cause you to be attacked?

Any area-of-effect abilities that affect a flagged player of the other faction will raise your PvP flag. A couple nights ago, I was with a group doing "PS," and two of them specifically stated that they did NOT want to participate in PvP. We head to a pylon and get to work.

I'm the tank. We summon the first group, I pop my AoE taunt, and instantly I'm flagged because a Sith Inquisitor, who was flagged, was fishing. Then, once my flag pops, the healer gets hit with a flag because he was in the process of healing me. Now, 50% of the group is flagged and we're engaged in a mob of three elites and also have two imps with which to contend. /facepalm

Not that I mind PvP, but it isn't really practical to go into an Ilum daily with a non-PvP mindset and expect things to go smoothly. That said, I love running the Gree missions! :cool:

Pretty much this.

I don't like PvP, primarily because I'm no good at it and dying repeatedly is not any fun.

So I don't do the missions that are 1) clearly labeled "PvP" in an area that 2) warns you that you will be "flagged for PvP" by entering it.

Here's a shocker... I don't do the Gree group content either.

That's right... I got maximum Gree reputation without needing to do PvP or the Heroics.

They could not be more optional and really do nothing but let you advance a little faster.

If I really wanted some of the bigger rewards, I'd have to suck it up and do the group content but that still doesn't require PvP.

Now, that being said, I did a few of the PvP missions and the world didn't come to an end.

I got killed... I killed people... I had a little fun.

When it became frustrating because I couldn't make any progress, I did what any rational person would do and stopped beating my head against the wall and went off and did something else instead of raging about how unfair it was because other people were killing me.

Any area-of-effect abilities that affect a flagged player of the other faction will raise your PvP flag. A couple nights ago, I was with a group doing "PS," and two of them specifically stated that they did NOT want to participate in PvP. We head to a pylon and get to work.

I'm the tank. We summon the first group, I pop my AoE taunt, and instantly I'm flagged because a Sith Inquisitor, who was flagged, was fishing. Then, once my flag pops, the healer gets hit with a flag because he was in the process of healing me. Now, 50% of the group is flagged and we're engaged in a mob of three elites and also have two imps with which to contend. /facepalm

Not that I mind PvP, but it isn't really practical to go into an Ilum daily with a non-PvP mindset and expect things to go smoothly. That said, I love running the Gree missions! :cool:

I know they fixed the vast majority of AOE attacks in this regard a while back. I've been seeing people post about other ways PvP-flagged people are pulling them into combat in the pve area, and i agree that is wrong. Only thing I can say is be more careful and aware of surroundings during these missions.

That being said, I still think the missions themselves do not force you to pvp.

Pretty much this.

I don't like PvP, primarily because I'm no good at it and dying repeatedly is not any fun.

So I don't do the missions that are 1) clearly labeled "PvP" in an area that 2) warns you that you will be "flagged for PvP" by entering it.

Here's a shocker... I don't do the Gree group content either.

That's right... I got maximum Gree reputation without needing to do PvP or the Heroics.

They could not be more optional and really do nothing but let you advance a little faster.

If I really wanted some of the bigger rewards, I'd have to suck it up and do the group content but that still doesn't require PvP.

Now, that being said, I did a few of the PvP missions and the world didn't come to an end.

I got killed... I killed people... I had a little fun.

When it became frustrating because I couldn't make any progress, I did what any rational person would do and stopped beating my head against the wall and went off and did something else instead of raging about how unfair it was because other people were killing me.

Don't come in here spewing your rational logic! :rolleyes:

Please think before you answer, this is not a solution as you basically can not avoid being attacked due to mechanics. It just does not work.

Huh?! Sure you can...stay out of the PvP area. That avoids the "mechanics".

Its simple really, all AOE effects run the risk of getting you flagged because flagged opposition run into it. Be it heals, taunt or damage. Its really frustrating that you cant finish the dailies because jerks keep ganking up on you.

I know they fixed the vast majority of AOE attacks in this regard a while back. I've been seeing people post about other ways PvP-flagged people are pulling them into combat in the pve area, and i agree that is wrong. Only thing I can say is be more careful and aware of surroundings during these missions.

That being said, I still think the missions themselves do not force you to pvp.

Yeah, I thought that AoE was "fixed" as well, so the flag caught me completely by surprise, especially given that there was no damage incurred to the "enemy" player through the taunt. As a stealth class, I didn't even know they were there. But, no, they don't force you to PvP; it was the players themselves that did this.

I personally didn't mind it - just a day in the life of Gree! But, all of my group mates did mind, so I was relegated to base for five minutes to de-flag, or opt to find another group. I waited, and we were able to find a different pylon that was not encumbered by loiterers. After we finished that mission, though, one of the other players stayed on with me while I did the PvP missions.