Any use for our melee attacks??

Anosa

for the funsies or when a shadow/sin pops shroud, you aren't in danger/need to kite, and you want to get some extra damage in

sometimes if me and my buddies do an all sorc premade, we run around and melee people to death. it's pretty effective

for the funsies or when a shadow/sin pops shroud, you aren't in danger/need to kite, and you want to get some extra damage in

sometimes if me and my buddies do an all sorc premade, we run around and melee people to death. it's pretty effective

Do they die of laughter?

you can thrash an assassin if they have shroud on, your heal has been interupted and every other option in the game isn't a good choice or isn't available.

So that includes purge, force barrier, static barrier, force mend, dark heal.

Basically there is no reason to ever use any of the sorc melee abilities. Unless you want to kill baddies with it, then it is very important.

I think Bioware wanted us to be a ranged class but they knew people would complain if they had a lightsaber but couldn't swing it so they gave us 2 pathetic lightsaber swings. I think it would be cool if they made it a more useful weapon and perhaps gave us a cool and more powerful lightsaber attack but as of right now there's more important concerns for our class then melee attacks. Just about every Sith in Star Wars lore fought with a lightsaber at times but keep in mind it is a game and they need to try to keep classes balanced. But I look at it this way: the operative class is more close quarter combat and does most of its dps attacks with melee yet it still gets to shoot its blaster which does descent damage but remains pretty balanced. I wish Sorcerer was similar and had more lightsaber strikes available but nothing that would make sorcerer players want to constantly engage in melee combat.

I think Bioware wanted us to be a ranged class but they knew people would complain if they had a lightsaber but couldn't swing it so they gave us 2 pathetic lightsaber swings.

Sorcs have melee attacks only because they share the first 10 levels with assassins, that's all there is to it.

Sorcs have melee attacks only because they share the first 10 levels with assassins, that's all there is to it.

Not true. Both snipers and mercs have a melee ability that is functional. Snipers have shiv and mercs have rocket punch both which not only are tech based abilities but also do decent damage. Even if the sorcerer melee abilities did damage on par with shiv and rocket punch they would still be inferior because of the fact they are weapon damage attacks.

Most would argue that ranged classes are simply not intended to use melee abilities but then how do you explain the upgrades to shiv in the sniper lethality tree and rocket punch root in the merc tree. Sorcs could really benefit from a melee type attack, but as another user already said I think there are more important things that need to be addressed.

Not true. Both snipers and mercs have a melee ability that is functional. Snipers have shiv and mercs have rocket punch both which not only are tech based abilities but also do decent damage. Even if the sorcerer melee abilities did damage on par with shiv and rocket punch they would still be inferior because of the fact they are weapon damage attacks.

Most would argue that ranged classes are simply not intended to use melee abilities but then how do you explain the upgrades to shiv in the sniper lethality tree and rocket punch root in the merc tree. Sorcs could really benefit from a melee type attack, but as another user already said I think there are more important things that need to be addressed.

I'm going to have to agree with Sharee on this one. It's our base class no cost attack. Yes assassins share force lightning with us and it can have a heal on it, but there would be no point in making the melee useful for us. That would mean that in order for me to use the melee I would have to run up to my target, use that attack, and then run away. Not very practical. If a melee user is attacking me, I'm trying to kite him, or stun and run anyways.

I'm going to have to agree with Sharee on this one. It's our base class no cost attack. Yes assassins share force lightning with us and it can have a heal on it, but there would be no point in making the melee useful for us. That would mean that in order for me to use the melee I would have to run up to my target, use that attack, and then run away. Not very practical. If a melee user is attacking me, I'm trying to kite him, or stun and run anyways.

You are assuming it would be nothing more than they add damage to the strike to make it useful. There could be a ton of options for them to do something with it. Perhaps it would be some kind of slow or stun I really don't know but in all seriousness I don't really care if they ever change it.

You are thinking of the melee function in too linear of a fashion. As a ranged dps you will always prefer to deal damage at a range but ultimately melee will be be come into range. Having a viable melee attack gives you a non casting option for when you are stuck in melee range. Merc and sniper specs both have damaging melee attacks that actually help them leave melee range (shiv gives a speed boost, rocket punch roots the opponent).

It's not a priority but it could be really nice.

The melter attacks are pretty useless in any kind of competitive situation, they do very little damage. It's fun to finish off mobs with them though.

The *only* reason they do little damage is because we don't get willpower to damage on them. No other AC has their level 1 abilities nerfed in so drastic a fashion. And there is absolutely no justification for it.

The *only* reason they do little damage is because we don't get willpower to damage on them. No other AC has their level 1 abilities nerfed in so drastic a fashion. And there is absolutely no justification for it.

I can think of a justification. We get a lot of force, 500-600 of it, and our level 1 abilities are mostly there for when we run out. It would be kind of unfair to give us that much force (assassins get 100) and to give us a no-force ability that's just as powerful as it is for other classes that have to use it.

I can think of a justification. We get a lot of force, 500-600 of it, and our level 1 abilities are mostly there for when we run out. It would be kind of unfair to give us that much force (assassins get 100) and to give us a no-force ability that's just as powerful as it is for other classes that have to use it.

It really wouldn't be that different than an auto attack. Read my earlier post here though

Something like what Traya was doing at the end of KotOR II would be cool. A long CD ability that sends our lightsaber to attack for a few seconds at range treated like a DoT. Just to get the lightsaber a little more involved. Edited by icearrow