I Want To Like TOR, But It Just Feels Old

Shadysketchy

I said to myself 2 years ago that I shall never return to wow, but this game just makes me realsie how good wow is (in comparisson only, wow in itself sucks). I just hope GW2 will be better.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give TOR a second chance in 6 months but at this stage nothing can convince me to continue past the first 30 days

rofl...guild wars.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's subjective, I haven't at all felt like PvP is better than WoW's PvP, this largely stems from the fact that the UI/Combat game is a shabby knock off of WoW's.

You want Specifics though so here's a few from the combat:

*It straight up copies mechanics from WoW(It even uses terms like Global Cooldown!)

*Interrupts as well, it has Non-GCD interrupts that have "Lockout periods" on abilities.

*The UI is fairly unresponsive on this GCD system, I wouldn't complain too much as I've seen worse, however it's not fun to have these interrupts and other non-gcd abilities ripped from WoW and not work as designed.

*Stances/Threat - Yep it'd be a shame if they didn't just grab the whole package, their tanking tools even word almost exactly like something out of WoW.(Sunder Armor lol)

*Numbers for threat/damage seem to be off by quite a bit, but that could be by design... and honestly isn't too hard to tweak anyways, but if you're going to rip the system off anyways it just makes it look all the more silly.

WoW wasn't the first MMO to use GCD.

Interrupts? really? this is what you're saying applies to WoW only?

Stances have been around in games PRIOR to WOW.

Damage numbers is ripping off wow? do you LISTEN to yourself?

I can already tell WoW was your first MMO ever.

WoW wasn't the first MMO to use GCD.

Interrupts? really? this is what you're saying applies to WoW only?

Stances have been around in games PRIOR to WOW.

Damage numbers is ripping off wow? do you LISTEN to yourself?

I can already tell WoW was your first MMO ever.

Certainly wasn't, but it *Was* the first one I played that used these mechanics with the EXACT same timers on their cooldowns, nice try though.

*edit* Since you nitpicked without applying context I'll add this too- My complaint is their numbers and wording are ripped entirely from WoW.

Plenty of games have Stances... but find me an MMO before wow that says crap like "Enters a defensive stance reducing all damage taken by 6%, Increasing armor rating by 60% and threat generation by 50%..."

Edited by Seismax

Y'know, my disappointment is actually with the story. Because it has to take a long time (and I'm on the fence about whether the estimated 8 days played to max level is good or not except for the fact I won't be rolling alts) at every point the story is seemingly beginning to pick up for me it's then rapidly deflated by a new round of generic kill quests where security, workers, or whomever is asking for my help just stands around and picks their underwear out of their heiny while I run off and commit mass slaughter on their behalf.

I'm beginning to default to my normal position, which is where I say: "Give me a D&D style campaign book instead of a novel so I can pick which parts interest me and which don't." I know, for a fact, I never want to see the generic Coruscant hallways ever again, for example.

My favorite feature is the mod armor, though. I actually went back and solo-ed the Esseles instance a few times to get the Sentinel robe because I liked the look. I assume I can wear it all the way to 50 too.

How about giving the game more than a day or two before slaughtering it completely? If you try to remember, WoW didn't even have a single battleground when the game was released. Then some time after the first one was released. This game has way more content then WoW had (which isn't surprising considering that it's newer, but still). So don't come here whining about this game not having enough arenas (do not want btw) and what not.

You can't compare a newly released game to a game that has been out for 7 years, you even made that point in your own thread yourself without realizing it.

And about the graphics, that is where I do not agree at all. Did you play the game at lowest graphics or something? Because at my computer with my awesome 27" monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution almost everything looks stunning. Sure some of the characters look at bit plastic, but that's about the only complain I can make about the graphics.

Edited by Nendouno

Graphics in this game are far superior to wow give me a break, it can't touch this game. Pretty obvious what you're doing but it's utter fail. You can take your game breaking lfg tool that destroyed the community. Have fun with pandas and pokemon and graphics that are subpR compared to this game and will never get an upgrade

You are kidding right? Old Republic's graphics are not as good as WOW. Considering WOW has a plethora of graphic options you can adjust, low to ultra settings, AA, Antriscoptic filtering, lighting, shadows, etc, wow looks very good on a decent machine and runs like a champ. Old Republic in comparison looks only slightly better then KOTOR 1 and there is STILL people having horrendous FPS problems, just look in the customer service thread and you can see the 105 page thread on it.

Certainly wasn't, but it *Was* the first one I played that used these mechanics with the EXACT same timers on their cooldowns, nice try though.

the first one YOU played.

That's my point right there, you're entitled to your opinion, so yes. But you are clearly wrong when you say WoW was the first.

You are kidding right? Old Republic's graphics are not as good as WOW. Considering WOW has a plethora of graphic options you can adjust, low to ultra settings, AA, Antriscoptic filtering, lighting, shadows, etc, wow looks very good on a decent machine and runs like a champ. Old Republic in comparison looks only slightly better then KOTOR 1 and there is STILL people having horrendous FPS problems, just look in the customer service thread and you can see the 105 page thread on it.

Have we played the same games? Because the last time I checked SWTOR looked much better with maxed out graphics than WoW ever did with ultra settings.

Have you considered getting glasses? There is obviously something wrong with your eyesight.

Do some research. WoW copied the cool downs from Everquest and wait for it...

Star Wars Galaxies

...nice try troll. Since you are too new to MMOs (or maybe just young) maybe you should do some research before you look like an ***** in the forums, lol.

To the original OP - Obviose troll is obvious.

This post is silly. Most of these things are going to be in the game soon. Would you rather they held out on releasing it until every nuance was completely finished? That's just not reasonable for most companies. A lot of the things you list are already confirmed to be coming, even.

the first one YOU played.

That's my point right there, you're entitled to your opinion, so yes. But you are clearly wrong when you say WoW was the first.

Just curious what exactly are you trying to say? Name ONE MMO that uses those numbers to disprove me.

Just curious what exactly are you trying to say? Name ONE MMO that uses those numbers to disprove me.

Numbers for damage? lolwat? There was MMO's before WoW (EQ2 used scrolling combat dmg before WoW launched)

Or do you mean something else?

Edited by Neeseek

Obvious troll is obvious.

Poly counts, lighting engine and bit size of textures show that you are an idiot.

alot of people came here because they were fed up with the dribble proof wow, Now you follow us because you're also bored of wow but cant admit it and want everything easy here also?

Let me ask you when did you start playing wow? sounds like WOTLK to me... go back to being babysitted.

LFG is just the lazy mans way of finding groups. Maybe if you interact with people they might join your group?

None of my comments on how TOR feels old had anything to do with the difficulty of the game

To answer your question, I played WoW since Vanilla, 2005 to be exact

As for an LFG Tool; you are simply wrong. I cannot interact with people to find a group, because there is almost no one my level. Spamming /1 does not generate people level 45-49 to run Flashpoints with

But what year model is your car :p I want a 2012 mod car, not a 2000 mod car.

I understand a lot of the things the OP writes down. Have the same feeling. I so want to like this game but all in all it is "just" a good game and nothing more. Nothing impressive about it at all.

Not a relevant comparison....your 2000 FORD isn't recieving updates monthly or patches yearly to make it fun for you to drive, or to get better fuel mileage. You not gettig a complete overhaul and paintjob after you've owned it for 6 years.

When the next X-Box or Playstation comes out, are you going to cry because they don't have as many games to play as the previous versions??

The core of the game is a SOLID building foundation. Of course it doesn't have the polish WOW has..er..HAD.

The saddest thing around here is that someone truly believes that they can review and predict the future of a massive game like this on the 2nd day of it's release..no..not sad, Pathetic. Truly Pathetic.

Do you know that it is a lie aswell=

You will have the "trinity" in that game aswell

Actually, no you wont. Dont want to derail this, as its not a GW2 v Tor thread (Thank god), but actually go learn something before you post your ignorant opinion.

At parts I can see where your coming from, but the lack of PvP options is just a lack of time. WoW had 7 years to amass it's amount, SWTOR did not. Other than that I can't really agree with you on a whole lot.

Also if you don't like it, you don't have to play it. I'm not trying to be rude, but I always found my self disappointed when I tried to like a game, leave it for awhile and come back and may change your mind.

Numbers for damage? lolwat? How about every MMO before WoW.

Well if you say so that must be the case, honestly I can't remember anything about EQ since I didn't like it enough to give it a good shot... but I don't remember those mechanics being in place with those same cooldowns and wording to boot, but hey sure.

As for other MMOs before WoW... yeah not so much, I really can't think of any that used those mechanics and even attempting research into games from that era is nearly impossible - documentation for those games is virtually non-existant. But hey, you don't have the ability to back up your claims anyways, I'm just going by what the guy above you said.

TL;DR, I think TOR feels old, what do you think?

I think that you are making too many threads about how bad the game is and you aren't playing it enough to decide whether you like it or not.

Seriously, how many threads is this now complaining about something or other?

Edited by Mandrax

So honestly, I really do want to like this game. And I do think it has some positive features, including Star Wars; I've always like the Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, TOR just feels really old. Even compared to World of Warcraft, which actually is very old (over 7 years now), this feels elderly.

The following are some things that make TOR feel old:

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet)

- Awful UI; I could make an entire thread about this (and people already have), but for the sake of brevity, I'll just restate that it's awful

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011

- 2007 graphics (The Skybox being a 2D Painting is particularly insulting)

- No Day/Night Cylce

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not)

- Lackluster Character Creation

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content)

- No Macros

- No mouseover casting

- No addon support

- No Dual Spec

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build)

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common)

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title

- More — I will expand on this as more things pop into my mind, these are the ones currently at the forefront of my thought process

Anyway, do you guys feel the same way? Maybe you don't see the logic in some of my points (but you will once you get to level 40+), but you've probably noticed the game feels old. I'm worried that this feeling will plague the launch, and the early days of the game. This will both turn away new players, and create a jaded community; problems that get worse and worse as time goes on. Hopefully the game can be improved enough though, I do like it.

TL;DR, I think TOR feels old, what do you think?

I think, unfortunately, you picked the wrong game to play. This is a story based game, if you don't consider the story telling ground breaking, then you're expectation is too high, the fact that it has any voice acting at all is amazing. And if you want to talk about overused acting, Ask Chris Metzen how many WoW voices he acts.

I'm afraid your opinion seems ignorant, but you are entitled to it, so I must simply tell you that I disagree with your statement.