3 hours...

Hessen

i did this just the other day. i was dreading DK cause it took me hours to do it on my main. i walked up a ramp towards the dark temple and the part was sitting on the ground already exposed, with no one around.

Some people are just lucky :p

Never spent more than 15 minutes on each planet and I did it 100% solo. You're doing it wrong.
A response like this is appropriate for Seeker Droid quest chain. HK scanning depends entirely on luck. Even if you scan the most consistently and effectively you can, you may just be so unlucky that the part will be in the very last section you have left to scan.

You are doing something wrong. Stop moving in small increments when you find nothing. Move so that your entire circle of scan gets the maximum amount of scan room. Once you zone in on the location then move around in small increments. Edited by spectreclees

I've heard of the search for HK taking up to an hour on certain planets. If it's taking you three hours, you're doing something wrong.

When you arrive on any planet to look for a piece, ask in General if anyone else is looking for the piece. That'll help you save time, labor and areas to search if they've already begun and searched a portion of the section that it's supposed to be in already. Next, make sure you're searching in the right areas on each planet. If you don't know what areas to look for, Google it. There are multiple guides on this website and others that explain to you where and how to find HK. Beyond that, all that should be required is patience and meticulousness. The hardest place to find the piece is Hoth, and it's never taken me more than half an hour to get mine. Just take a day off from searching and come back again. You'll be less frustrated by the lack of results by then, and your fortitude will be renewed.

I didn't do anything wrong. I've seen the guides, I know the search area, I was methodical and worked my way around accordingly.

I actually found the part about 10 minutes after I posted this thread. Happy days.

I didn't do anything wrong. I've seen the guides, I know the search area, I was methodical and worked my way around accordingly.

I actually found the part about 10 minutes after I posted this thread. Happy days.

Most likely, you just missed it by a tiny amount sometime within the first 15 minutes and never went back to that area

or

someone in your instance found it without you noticing it, changing the spot.